Enphase Envoy with Energy Dashboard

Could be something silly like crosstalk with other AC power cables.
My Microinverters are IQ7A-72-2-INT and My Envoy is ENV-S-WM-230.
Here is what my http://envoy.local/home looks like

1 Like

Please forgive my newby ignorance - I don’t have a sensor called sensor.envoy_SERIALNUMBER_current_energy_prodcution - I have one called sensor.envoy_current_energy_prodcution

Should I use that instead or am I doing this wrong?

FYI - I also have a Pulse counting device called a Flukso and have managed to get it working using that, however I’d like to also use the Enphase Envoy directly in case the Flukso dies.

You may either have an older or newer Enphase integration than what I have.

To see what envoy sensors are in your system, go into Developer Tools.

and type in sensor.envoy and see what the list shows.

Mine will look different because I have added some lines to customize.yaml to make them easier to read.

sensor.envoy_SERIALNUMBER_current_energy_consumption:
  friendly_name: Consumption Now
sensor.envoy_SERIALNUMBER_current_energy_production:
  friendly_name: Production Now

After removing the integration and re-adding it, i noticed it has now correctly renamed these 2 sensors as power (instead of energy) which is what these should have been named as in the first place.

sensor.envoy_SERIALNUMBER_current_power_consumption:
sensor.envoy_SERIALNUMBER_current_power_production:

… So my now updated code should be: (pretty much did a find/replace on current_energy and replaced with current_power)

template:
  - sensor:
        name: Grid Import Power
        state_class: measurement
        icon: mdi:transmission-tower
        unit_of_measurement: W
        device_class: power
        state: >
            {{ [0, states('sensor.envoy_SERIALNUMBER_current_power_consumption') | int - states('sensor.envoy_SERIALNUMBER_current_power_production') | int ] | max }}

- sensor:
        name: Grid Export Power
        icon: mdi:transmission-tower
            {{ [0, states('sensor.envoy_SERIALNUMBER_current_power_production') | int - states('sensor.envoy_SERIALNUMBER_current_power_consumption') | int ] | max }}

- sensor:
        name: Solar Power Corrected
        icon: mdi:solar-panel
            {% set value = states('sensor.envoy_SERIALNUMBER_current_power_production') | int %}
            {% if value  <= 4 -%} 
            {%- else -%}
              {{ value }}
            {%- endif %}

Dont stress if you dont see a serial number. It might just be a subtle difference between our systems.

1 Like

I’m thinking my old solar system that envoy also monitors keeps enough vampire load from its inverter to keep it a negative figure at night so maybe that’s why it’s not showing any solar at night for me

Yes my system must be different to yours - I only have a single Consumption and Production Sensor - the only thing with serial numbers are the 18 inverters. Mine also shows negative numbers being produced at night hence why I use the sun.sun if statement to zero out at night.

Do you have access to the installer menu which allows you access to many hidden menus etc?

Username is installer and you’ll need to run a Python script program once with your Envoy serial number to get the password. Heres a link to the script GitHub - sarnau/EnphaseEnergy: Various collected information about Enphase Energy solar system

3 Likes

Ah, I do not have the installer password.

As per this link Enphase Envoy - Home Assistant … it appears I didnt need it.

All I did to set this up was

Once that was done, I ended up with this

I have 22 microinverters and 4 values for production and 4 for consumption.
Here is what 1 lot of 4 values are.

I knew it existed but have been resisting the urge to log in and look around in there, my installer is a great guy and I have my reasons for not wanting to poke around in there if I don’t need to.

1 Like

You can see per panel generation, plus real-time generation/consumption.

I haven’t (yet) worked out how to use this real-time info via the installer menus, however I use pulse counters using a device called a Flukso and display real-time usage/generation via mqtt and a few Homeassistant cards:

I am currently using real-time figures based on the sensors I mentioned

They will with either be called
(new version integration)
sensor.envoy_SERIALNUMBER_current_power_consumption:
sensor.envoy_SERIALNUMBER_current_power_production:
OR
(old version integration)
sensor.envoy_SERIALNUMBER_current_energy_consumption:
sensor.envoy_SERIALNUMBER_current_energy_production:

I noticed they updated this file in late July which is when the names changed
https://github.com/home-assistant/core/pull/53653/commits/2e7602a66eb3929ebc44aad157899ffc0d3be4b4

How frequently do the real-time values change for you? If I use sensor.envoy_current_energy_consumption: mine update about once a minute.

My pulse counters update 1,000 times a minute.

Thanks for the link - I’ll reload Ephase integration in the morning and will try again

The Enphase Envoy updates every 60 seconds.
I also have a pulse counter called PowerPal but once solar starts producing, then I dont see anything in the day so I prefer to get data every 60 seconds 24 hours a day from Enphase Envoy.

Ok great thanks - mine updates every second, so I can see real-time changes. I’ve trained my family to make decisions on when to turn on kettle/oven/dishwasher/dryer etc using the real-time graphs in Home Assistant. They are Green when I’m producing more than consuming to make it kid-proof.

2 Likes

Ive combined our code to get the best ot both worlds.

- sensor:
        name: Solar Power Corrected
        icon: mdi:solar-panel
            {% set value = states('sensor.envoy_SERIALNUMBER_current_power_production') | int %}
            {% if value  <= 5 %}
            {% elif is_state("sun.sun","below_horizon") %} 
            {%- else -%}
              {{ value }}
            {%- endif %}

Hoping someone can help, I have created new sensors for energy but they aren’t showing up as selectable options in the dashboard. Any ideas why this might be the case?

I would say the only difference between my energy sensors and yours is that mine have

device_class: energy

whereas yours dont seem to have that attribute yet.

Here are my sensors provided by the Enphase Integration

Here are the POWER sensors I created manually that use the information from the envoy sensors above.

Here are the ENERGY sensors I created manually using the Integration - Riemann sum integral - Home Assistant platform that use the information from the power sensors above

1 Like

Thanks for the offer to help! I am wondering if it is due to the way I have set up my template entities?

Below are my entities:

And below is my code for all my templates, I have them different to yours though, and it won’t allow me to select device class etc…

- platform: template
    sensors:
      envoy_house_consumption:
        friendly_name: "Current House Consumption"
        value_template: "{{ [0, (states('sensor.envoy_current_energy_production') | int - states('sensor.envoy_current_exporting') | int)] | max }}"
        unit_of_measurement: 'W'
        icon_template: 'mdi:flash'
      envoy_current_exporting:
        friendly_name: "Current Energy Exporting"
        value_template: "{{ [0, (states('sensor.envoy_current_energy_production') | int - states('sensor.envoy_current_energy_consumption') | int)] | max }}"
      envoy_current_importing:
        friendly_name: "Current Energy Importing"
        value_template: "{{ [0, (states('sensor.envoy_current_energy_consumption') | int - states('sensor.envoy_current_energy_production') | int)] | max }}"
      envoy_today_s_energy_exporting:
        friendly_name: "Today Energy Exporting"
        value_template: "{{ [0, (states('sensor.envoy_today_s_energy_production') | int - states('sensor.envoy_today_s_energy_consumption') | int)] | max }}"
        unit_of_measurement: 'Wh'
      envoy_today_s_energy_importing:
        friendly_name: "Today Energy Importing"
        value_template: "{{ [0, (states('sensor.envoy_today_s_energy_consumption') | int - states('sensor.envoy_today_s_energy_production') | int)] | max }}"
      envoy_today_s_energy_utilised:
        friendly_name: "Today Energy Utilised"
        value_template: "{{ [0, (states('sensor.envoy_today_s_energy_production') | int - states('sensor.envoy_today_s_energy_exporting') | int)] | max }}"
      envoy_today_s_consumption_negative:
        value_template: '{{ ((states.sensor.envoy_today_s_energy_consumption.state | float * -1)) | round(1) }}'
        friendly_name: 'Today Energy Consumption'
      power_kw:
        friendly_name: "Power Available"
        unit_of_measurement: 'kW'
        value_template: >
          {% if states('sensor.envoy_current_exporting')|float > states('sensor.envoy_current_importing')|float %}
            {{ (states('sensor.envoy_current_exporting') | int / 1000) | round(2)}}
          {% else %}
            {{ (states('sensor.envoy_current_importing') | int / -1000) | round(2)}}
          {% endif %}
      solar_power_corrected:
        friendly_name: "Solar Power Corrected"
        value_template: >
          {% set value = states('sensor.envoy_current_energy_production') | int %}
          {% if value  <= 4 and is_state("sun.sun", "below_horizon") -%} 
          {%- else -%}
            {{ value }}
          {%- endif %}

- platform: integration
    name: Grid Import Energy
    source: sensor.envoy_current_importing
    unit_prefix: k
    unit_time: h
    method: left

name: Grid Export Energy
    source: sensor.envoy_current_exporting

name: Solar Energy Corrected
    source: sensor.solar_power_corrected

Ok, these 2 are the standard Enphase supplied sensors which have the same attributes as mine except mine include the serial number and yours are named ENERGY whereas mine are named POWER. No big deal.

Next I check your import/export POWER sensors.

- platform: template
    sensors:
     envoy_current_exporting:
        friendly_name: "Current Energy Exporting"
        value_template: "{{ [0, (states('sensor.envoy_current_energy_production') | int - states('sensor.envoy_current_energy_consumption') | int)] | max }}"
      envoy_current_importing:
        friendly_name: "Current Energy Importing"
        value_template: "{{ [0, (states('sensor.envoy_current_energy_consumption') | int - states('sensor.envoy_current_energy_production') | int)] | max }}"

The differences here are that you havent included

for both of these POWER sensors. You will probably need to add both lines to each of the 2 POWER sensors above.

Next I check your ENERGY sensors

name: Grid Import Energy
    source: sensor.envoy_current_importing

name: Grid Export Energy
    source: sensor.envoy_current_exporting

these look fine

1 Like

Thanks for this! I have recreated duplicate sensors using your template method, which seems to have fixed the issue :slight_smile: I can now select my created sensors, so looks like they definitely needed to have a device_class and state_class set for the Energy Dashboard to find them.

Thanks again, legend!

1 Like

No worries.

Its good practice to always use the correct device class when manually creating a sensor in configuration.yaml

Here is a list of device classes from Sensor Entity | Home Assistant Developer Docs

Type Unit Description
battery % % of battery that is left.
carbon_dioxide ppm parts per million of carbon dioxide concentration
carbon_monoxide ppm parts per million of carbon monoxide concentration
humidity % % of humidity in the air.
illuminance lx/lm Light level.
signal_strength dB/dBm Signal strength.
temperature °C/°F Temperature.
timestamp ISO8601 Timestamp.
power W,kW Power.
pressure hPa,mbar Pressure.
current A Current.
energy Wh,kWh Energy.
power_factor % Power Factor.
voltage V Voltage.
monetary ISO 4217 Monetary value with a currency

here is more info about state_class from Sensor Entity | Home Assistant Developer Docs

measurement - The state represents a measurement in present time

1 Like

Thanks @del13r for this post. I followed your recommendations and setup those sensors, etc. They appear to show reasonable values when viewed separately. However, for some reason, the energy dashboard doesn’t display any of the values. The graphs have stayed blank through the day as well.

Any ideas?

Sensor values

Energy Dashboard

1 Like