Enphase Envoy - Current state of things

This add-on works with the token authentication and D7.0.88 you need to select use enlighten and use your enlighten username and password to login to the website so it can generate the token to gain local access.

Install GitHub - briancmpbll/home_assistant_custom_envoy by adding GitHub - briancmpbll/home_assistant_custom_envoy as a custom repositories in HACS, restart then add it as an integration

1 Like

Appreciate the reply.

I was using the authentication credentials as noted, but it still came back with ā€œunknown errorā€ for some reason. This was on the 2022.3 release.

Upgraded HA to the 2022.4 release and itā€™s working now.

Thanks!

Has anyone figured out a way to get the ā€œlifetime energyā€ numbers?

Before an automatic firmware update (I assume) broke the core integration for me, I had the ā€œlifetime energy productionā€ numbers. I now have the posixx repo running, which works for current production, but not lifetime energy.

A Riemann sum integral will be less accurate than getting the lifetime numbers from Enlighten. Has anyone figured a work around? Even polling from the cloud would be okay. Iā€™ve tried playing (just a bit) with the v4 API but canā€™t seem to get it working.

I am currently using the posixx repo and I have the lifetime numbers, so they are in there.

Hi,
Here are the lifetime sensors using the built in HA core integration with D5 firmware.
https://github.com/home-assistant/core/tree/dev/homeassistant/components/enphase_envoy

In the diagram below:
energy imported is shown in blue as the transmission tower on the left
energy exported is shown as purple as the transmission tower on the left
energy production is shown as yellow the lighning bolt in the middle
energy consumption is shown as the house on the right

The lifetime figures you are asking about, only cover 2 of the 4 key elements shown in the energy dashboard.

It is impossible to obtain the blue/purple transmission tower part of this diagram (Grid Import and Grid Export) without performing Riemann sum integral on the difference between the consumption power and production power figures.
The logic used on the difference of the power figures (kW) cannot be successfully used on the energy figures (kWh).
For example, the diagram above shows 19.3 kWh production and 13.6 kWh production. If we use the difference logic, I get 19.3 production - 13.6 consumption = 5.7 kWh exported to grid.
Compare that with my dashboard, and this number does not give us seperate 1.8 kWh grid in and 7.5 kWh grid out, but rather a difference between the 2 numbers (7.5 - 1.8 = 5.7) represented as either Net returned to or Net consumed from the grid.

I understand all that, and have long had those Riemann import/export sensors setup. But all that aside, it would still be preferable to have the lifetime sensor for overall energy production.

Does anyone have a guess as to why theyā€™re showing up for @jhopple but not me, and how to debug that?

Probably the gateway is different kind? Search ā€œlifetimeā€ in this thread, someone had it, using Envoy-R.

I am using Envoy-S Metered and I donā€™t have lifetime value. Read earlier post, itā€™s possible the lifetime value is calculated and stored in the cloud, and you can see the value using the Enlighten app.

Iā€™m using Riemann to get the kWh from the Enphase Production Power. It works fine, and itā€™s pretty accurate compared to the Enlighten app. It can be a little bit different because of rounding value (Enlighten app only shows 1 digit decimal). But thatā€™s okay, accurate enough for me. Example, yesterday, Enlighten app 12.2 kWh, Riemann 12.25 kWh :laughing:

Mine is the IQ Gateway, which looks a lot like the Envoy-S. Okay, Iā€™ll try Riemann and see if I get decent enough accuracy!

1 Like

Hey @bastiaanterhorst,
Do you still have the MQTT config for the setup with homebridge-enphase-envoy?
Willing to share it?

Other people have had the same issue with non core integratons

I suspect they all might have this potential bug because they are all forks of each other.

To see if your unit records lifetime figures locally, go to http://envoy.local/home and it will show on the screen

the information on that webpage is likely pulled from here
http://envoy.local/production.json

Iā€™m using the briancmpbll integration and every day, several times a day usually, I start getting:

Retrying setup: Error communicating with API: Request URL is missing an 'http://' or 'https://' protocol.

As others have mentioned, usually it starts working again on its own a little while later, other times a Home Assistant restart seems to be needed to help it along.

Does anyone know if the same issue would be present with the posixx version? Iā€™d rather not switch integrations if I donā€™t have to, but if that one is working better then it seems worth the effort.

Iā€™m not having this issue with the posixx repo.

Interesting. I donā€™t have metering setup, so envoy.local does not display my lifetime total on the homepageā€”only when I use the cloud API. But envoy.local/production.json does have one whLifetime entry that is zero and one that is not. Interestingly, the nonzero one does seem to be going up at the right rate, but looks like itā€™s been reset to zero a few days ago (perhaps around when firmware 7 was pushed out to me?). It would still be useful to have access to this number in HA though.

My guess is that my case (Envoy IQ, metering not enabled) is getting misdirected in the logic starting here such that lifetime_production just gets set to zero.

I forked posixxā€™s repo and changed the logic in the spot I needed to to make it work for meā€”an Envoy-S with no consumption metering set up. Hopefully someone can figure out the logic to handle all these different cases and work it into the core version.

My envoy just updated a few hours ago and I lost all telemetry. From the looks of it there is no clean solution ATM? Basically Iā€™m s*** out of luck at getting back what I had prior to 7.3?

I think the best bet for anyone who hasnā€™t been force-upgraded yet is to block internet access for their Enphase equipment. I did that, and also sent a support request to Enphase complaining about the token auth nonsense, and requested that they make indefinite-lifespan tokens available to system owners via a support request.

I seriously contemplated that but because of the unreliability of HA I didnā€™t want to lose the telemetry that is saved to their cloud.

I regret my decision not to block it.

I did open a support ticket complaining and threatening looking at legal options. I spent over $36k on my solar system. I expect it to work the way I want and for them not to just remove functions. For my county itā€™s $37 dollars to file in small claims with a max payout of $6k.

Iā€™m not sure if they force arbitration or not but if they do Iā€™ll go that route. And I advise everyone else to do so as well. Enough pin pricks might get them to change their attitude. Arbitration can get expensive when enough people start pursuing that option even when they wonā€™t win.

1 Like

Do they have open official forum? I cannot believe thereā€™s no outcry about this.

Does the posixx integration show per panel production numbers? The other integration did and it has already saved my ass twice. Once when I had a panel failure and the second time when a squirrel chewed some wires. I caught both issues in a matter of hours because I could see the output of each panel.

Actually the first panel failure it continued to function, just at a much reduced wattage. I had to argue with the installers because they tried to blame it on shading from my chimney. If it wasnā€™t for my ability to see real time numbers and shove them down their throat they would have just continued to brushed me off. When they finally did pull the panel they discovered the back side has begun to corrode and short out.

Interesting use case to track per panel production.

How do you present the data? Percentage of each panel against the highest one? Because each day would be different due to the weather.

Each panel with each own card?