ERROR Did not find any UEFI binary path for arch 'x86_64'

Hi all,

I decided to move my HA out of my Raspberry and on to a VM.
I am using DELL OptiPlex 7050 with an i5-6500T and 8GB of ram running Debian 11 Bullseye

I am using this mainly as my NAS and Media server with Openmedia vault and a few docker contains for PLEX and other stuff.

I installed KVM as per this guide How to Install and Configure KVM on Debian 11 Bullseye Linux

But, when I try to build the VM using virt-install it fails with:

root@npp:/etc/apt# virt-install --name hass --description "Home Assistant OS" --os-variant=generic --ram=2048 --vcpus=2 --disk /home/haos_ova-9.3.qcow2,bus=sata --graphics none --boot uefi
ERROR    Did not find any UEFI binary path for arch 'x86_64'

All the required packages like quemu, KVM etc. are installed OK and I can’t seem to find anything on the net regarding this error.

The Debian distro is 64bit and Virtualization is enabled in BIOS, so I’m kind of stuck with this …

I would appreciate if you have any suggestions or know about this :slight_smile: thanks !

Sincerely,

Ned

Changed the:

--boot uefi

To

--import

And it seems like it worked, I still have a problem with the network interface, but its probably something I missed, at least now it shows the VM as running:

root@npp:/etc/network#  virsh list
 Id   Name   State
----------------------
 5    hass   running

:slight_smile:

Hi, on Debian 11 are packages for this.
ovmf - UEFI firmware for 64-bit x86 virtual machines
ovmf-ia32 - UEFI firmware for 32-bit x86 virtual machines
qemu-efi-aarch64 - UEFI firmware for 64-bit ARM virtual machines
qemu-efi-arm - UEFI firmware for 32-bit ARM virtual machines

as long as virt-install says:

--boot uefi
          Configure the VM to boot from UEFI. In order for virt-install to know the correct UEFI parameters, libvirt needs to be advertising known UEFI binaries via  domcapabilities
          XML, so this will likely only work if using properly configured distro packages.

I would say using switch “–boot uefi” is reasonable. If you can - update your packages…

I’ve run with --boot uefi in Debian system after installing ovmf:

sudo apt install ovmf

Note:
there are various version of ovmf - I found that ovmf is enough for 64 bit