Error setting up entry Z-Wave

Following instructions to set up Aeotec Zwave USB stick I get this error. Searched this forum and concluded that /dev/ttyACM0 is not correct path but do not know the what to use. How do I figure out the correct path? ttyS0? I already know that doesn’t work either. It appears to me that the USB stick isn’t configured in the OS.

Running Intel NUC, VirtualBox VM with HA 0.117.6
added to configuration.yaml
‘’’
zwave:
usb_path: /dev/ttyACM0’
‘’’
But get in log:
‘’’
Error setting up entry Z-Wave (import from configuration.yaml) for zwave
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/openzwave/option.py”, line 78, in init
raise ZWaveException(u"Can’t find device %s : %s" % (device, traceback.format_exception(*sys.exc_info())))
openzwave.object.ZWaveException: “Zwave Generic Exception : Can’t find device /dev/ttyACM0 : [‘NoneType: None\n’]”
‘’’
System - Hardware looks like this even after USB inserted and HA restarted (and rebooted).
‘’’
Serial:

• /dev/ttyS0
  • /dev/ttyS1
  • /dev/ttyS2
  • /dev/ttyS3
    input:
  • Power Button
  • Sleep Button
  • ImExPS/2 Generic Explorer Mouse
  • Video Bus
  • VirtualBox USB Tablet
  • AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
    disk: []
    gpio: []
    usb:
  • /dev/bus/usb/002/001
  • /dev/bus/usb/002/002
  • /dev/bus/usb/001/001
    audio: {}
    ‘’’
    Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Please help others help you by formatting your code correctly

Your hardware listing does not show any device paths that would correspond to a Z-Wave controller. Perhaps you are not properly passing in the device to the VM. You’ll need to get that sorted before you can setup z-wave.

/dev/ttyACM0 is a valid choice for an Aeotec, but a better one would be /dev/serial/by-id/usb-0658_0200-if00.

Thank you paulstronaut. I am truly new to this and apologize. I am trying this again.

Appreciate any ideas.

zwave:
  usb_path: /dev/ttyACM0
serial:
  - /dev/ttyS0
  - /dev/ttyS1
  - /dev/ttyS2
  - /dev/ttyS3
input:
  - Power Button
  - Sleep Button
  - ImExPS/2 Generic Explorer Mouse
  - Video Bus
  - VirtualBox USB Tablet
  - AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
disk: []
gpio: []
usb:
  - /dev/bus/usb/002/001
  - /dev/bus/usb/002/002
  - /dev/bus/usb/001/001
audio: {}

Agree that the device may not be getting passed to VM. Not sure where to confirm that.

Error setting up entry Z-Wave (import from configuration.yaml) for zwave
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/openzwave/option.py", line 78, in __init__
    raise ZWaveException(u"Can't find device %s : %s" % (device, traceback.format_exception(*sys.exc_info())))
openzwave.object.ZWaveException: "Zwave Generic Exception : Can't find device /dev/serial/by-id/usb-0658_0200-if00 : ['NoneType: None\\n']"

You have to configure the VM to do it. It’s not automatic.

Got it now. Added the Sigma Designs in VirtualBox USB settings, then reboot.

Thanks