ESP32 S3 Box3

As in my post above, if you change the wake word model, add another substitution for the wake word text as follows:

substitutions:
  micro_wake_word_model: hey_jarvis
  wake_word_text: "Hey Jarvis"

Good suggestion about using substitutions to change the text for other languages. I’ll work on that.

For characters in other languages, I need to expand the list of glyphs. Can you list all the characters needed (beyond the standard English A-Z, a-z) so I can add them?

For changing the date or time formats, I’ll need to think about the best method. Maybe substitutions, but this requires the user knows strftime formats that work in ESPHome. It is a smaller subset of the full strftime. Can you give some examples of date and time that you’d like?

I’m pasting glyphs from one of my yaml file in ESPHome:

glyphs:
      ['&', '@', '!', '?', ',', '.', '"', '%', '(', ')', '+', '-', '_', ':', '°', '0',
       '1', '2', '3', '4', '5', '6', '7', '8', '9', 'A', 'B', 'C', 'D', 'E',
       'F', 'G', 'H', 'I', 'J', 'K', 'L', 'M', 'N', 'O', 'P', 'Q', 'R', 'S',
       'T', 'U', 'V', 'W', 'X', 'Y', 'Z', ' ', 'a', 'b', 'c', 'č', 'd', 'e', 'f',
       'g', 'h', 'i', 'j', 'k', 'l', 'm', 'n', 'o', 'p', 'q', 'r', 's', 'š', 't',
       'u', 'v', 'w', 'x', 'y', 'z', 'ž', '/', '€', '’' ]

but in fact I need just: ščž ŠČŽ

As for date and time: "%d.%m.%y"

Thanks!!!

1 Like

Great job. Really impressed.
I would vote for a 24-hour clock (no AM/PM)
And I would like the Danish letters æ ø å Æ Ø Å to be included. They are the last three letters in the Danish alphabet
Yours
Lars /Denmark

1 Like

you can dynamically change the pipeline and so the wake word when not using the in device, that’s why the text can’t be good, or we could have a text_sensor to change it (I would love that in fact)

latin like french and spanish would need :
é É ç Ç è È ê Ê à À ô
there is more but not sure if we need them maybe we should find a way to have all of them, don’t know about the correct way to do that

@Bluhme @bobzer @andrej33
If you could add your comments to the issue tracker on GitHub, this would help get the attention of the people who can authorise the addition of these features.

GitHub feature #174 above now has way more languages added to the glyphs, fixes to a stuck condition at boot, and methods for selecting date and time formats. Please check it out and give feedback.

How do we test this ?
Do we just have to copy paste the glyphs line ?

Just reinstall using the same package as before

packages:
  esphome.voice-assistant: github://jaymunro/esphome_firmware/wake-word-voice-assistant/esp32-s3-box-3.yaml@continued-conversation
1 Like

I don’t suppose you have a version for the original ESP32-S3-Box? (non box3)

Put an issue request in on esphome/firmware GitHub and I can look into it if there’s enough interest and someone to help test it. I don’t have the hardware which makes testing impossible for me.

Will do, thanks.

EDIT: done

As far as I know the main differences code wise are some GPIO assignments.

Method has now been added for multilingual text on the Continued conversation with text repo. Reinstall the same package and see Continued-conversation for esp32-s3-box-3 by jaymunro · Pull Request #173 · esphome/firmware · GitHub on how to use.

there was a bug with ‘nevermind’ which was fixed in the latest release of ESPHome 2024.2.1 that should resolve the issue and possibly rectify the other ‘thinking’ getting stuck issue

1 Like

After upgrade to ESPHome 2024.2.2 I can’t compile the latest version from Jesserockz version.
Clean build files before compilation not helping as previously…

shutil.Error: [('/data/idf_components/b0ad5728/components/esp-sr/docs/myapp/bin/python', '/data/build/esp32-s3-box3/components/esp-sr/docs/myapp/bin/python', "[Errno 17] File exists: 'python3' -> '/data/build/esp32-s3-box3/components/esp-sr/docs/myapp/bin/python'"), ('/data/idf_components/b0ad5728/components/esp-sr/docs/myapp/bin/python3', '/data/build/esp32-s3-box3/components/esp-sr/docs/myapp/bin/python3', "[Errno 17] File exists: '/usr/bin/python3' -> '/data/build/esp32-s3-box3/components/esp-sr/docs/myapp/bin/python3'"), ('/data/idf_components/b0ad5728/components/esp-sr/docs/myapp/lib64', '/data/build/esp32-s3-box3/components/esp-sr/docs/myapp/lib64', "[Errno 17] File exists: 'lib' -> '/data/build/esp32-s3-box3/components/esp-sr/docs/myapp/lib64'")]

@blackie333 After the upgrade, mine compiles ok. Sorry not much help for you but thought it may help you narrow down the reason after getting enough feedback.

OK thanks. So it seems the problem is on my side.
My 4GB box compilation problems started with 2024.2.1 (needed to repeat after previous compilation stopped with error1) so this may be the next step…

Tried to install the new version. Tried to add the lines under “substitutions” but the text on screen didn’t change to the Danish words that I put in.

I could not see the new feature of formatting data and time either.

No errors in compilation and installation

My yaml looks like this

substitutions:
  name: esp32-s3-box-3-6409c0
  friendly_name: ESP32 S3 Box 3 6409c0

starting_up: "Starter..."
  wake_word_prompt: "Sig \\\"Okay Nabu\\\""
  listening_prompt: "Hvad kan jeg gøre?"
  error_prompt: "Undskyld. Fejl"

packages:
  esphome.voice-assistant: github://jaymunro/esphome_firmware/wake-word-voice-assistant/esp32-s3-box-3.yaml@continued-conversation
  esphome.voice-assistant-sensor: github://jaymunro/esphome_firmware/esp32-box-docks/box3-sensor-for-voice-assistant.yaml@sensor_dock
esphome:
  name: ${name}
  name_add_mac_suffix: false
  friendly_name: ${friendly_name}

EDITED. Sorry, works just fine right now. I updated to 2024.2.2 and reinstalled (after cleaning) and now I have both Danish language and the possibility of changing the date time format. I also use your package to explore the presence sensor and battery sensor at the same time.
You have done a fantastic work with this little piece of hardware.
Thank you very much.

I look forward to more testing if you should come up with more ideas.

/Lars

1 Like

Later today the same procedure I used with 2024.2.1 started to work.
Haven’t changed anything in source file or my server(no reboot or core restart).

Installation started - first batch of files compiled successfully until first error occurred.
Pressed “Repeat” - next batch of files compiled, ended again with an error.
Repeated this procedure 4-5 times until all files compiled and voila - binary linked, installed and working.
It’s irritating & time consuming but at least I still “somehow” can build a binary.

This problem stated with ESPHome 2024.2.1. Would like to know what is causing it.
Server memory(4GB) has reached about 90% usage during compilation.
Not sure why so much memory is needed for compilation?
Haven’t tracked memory usage in older ESPHome versions so I can’t confirm whether memory requirements have changed dramatically in recent versions.

I upgraded to 2024.2.2, but I still get the same results. “Okay Nabu, nevermind” causes the Box 3 to get stuck on the thinking image and only a reboot recovers. @robgough1970 have you tried the nevermind intent on a Box 3 and it works fine for you?