ESP8266 config

Hello everybody!

I want to make my own openhab2 based “smartsystem” but i’m really strugeling to configure my eps8266 boards. I Want them to “read” my normal light switch and also activate the relay. Is this possible?

Hello,

First of all, which firmware are you going to use for the ESP8266?

Then what kind of protocol are you going to use to communicate with the esp8266 (mqtt, http, etc)?

Which kind of relay do you have? Something like this?

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/uk-wall-switch-options-photos-included/29690/4?u=garvarma

And of course, are you going to use home assistant? or your own one?

After reply this questions, then maybe we can help you more.

Hey Garvarma!
I do have the exact same esp8266 as on your picture but i did not recieve it yet. I was going to use mqtt with the home assistent “openhab”. The relay is also the same but the single module version.
I really hope you could help me!

Do you have openhab already setup? If not why are you planning to use that?
Openhab and home assistant are basically the same thing, they provide an interface to control your house.
There is an openhab component in HA, but that is mostly for people who want to move from one to the other and have a lot setup in openhab already.

If you start from scratch you complicate things a lot by doing it that way, as you introduce another level where things can go wrong…
So I would suggest to either use openhab, or use another protocol - mqqt is quite popular for things like this.

I do have the exact same esp8266 as on your picture but i did not recieve it yet. I was going to use mqtt with the home assistent “openhab”

So first of all, do you must think which firmware are you going to use:

Read about which kind of firmware do you like, and then intall it in your esp8266 and play with them, make test!

In my case i’m using ESPEasy. Just to know the state of the light, you must program a little bit in the “rule” option.

I don’t need to actually know a lot about how to program the devices. I just want to know how set a relay to on or of with the software as also with the existing switch. And in 1 case, 2 switches to 1 lamp. It does not matter how it happens it just has to happen with esp8266 and openhab.

I just want to know how set a relay to on or of with the software

So first you must choose firmware, and then learn how it works.

also with the existing switch

What do you refer with the existing switch? Do you want for example, to switch light (on/off) with your wall-switch, and at the same time turn on/off light with your domotic software?

Well as you commented about openhab, then i will recommend you to try ESPEasy firmware.

And in 1 case, 2 switches to 1 lamp. It does not matter how it happens it just has to happen with esp8266 and openhab

I suppose, that you have in 1 room, 2 points (switches) where switch on/off light and you want to automate this system, using a domotic system, really? In my case i didn’t cheked that, but about wire installation, you must install the esp8266 in a place, where wires of the existing switches in that room, can arrive to the esp8266.

But before to try this configuration, i recommend you, begin to the easy option, 1 switch, 1 lamp. When this option, will work, then try 2 switches, 1 light.

As you are specifically looking to use OpenHab you could have a look at the openhab user forum, as the people there will be more familiar with that system.
i did a quick google search and found this thread, which seems to be similar to what you’re looking for - hope that helps! https://community.openhab.org/t/smart-light-switch-based-on-esp8266/24530