Esp8266 goes to unavailable on every update

Also, if you use one of your USB cables, be aware that some of them can have very thin conductors inside, so voltage drop can be quite high, especially at power spikes.
Oh, i also have china clones… they can quite easily spike over 500mA…

Found a 1amp usb power adapter and it seems to behave a lot better now, haven’t seen the unavailable for about 1 hour now.

They all, clones included, use the same ESP chips. The current requirements would be the same regardless how the breakout/proto board is made.

The boards from China are cheap, so buy six. When your projects leave your stock at two or three on hand, it’s time to buy another six.

There has been a bit of a race to the bottom price wise, with the consequence that the quality of components used can be quite poor.

There are still well designed quality boards out there, that don’t cost much more. e.g.

1 Like

Thanks for this, bookmarked for the next batch, and I like the LAN adapter HAT which would be nice if it was POE as well :slight_smile:

Unfortunately that’s not going to happen. See:

Ok, i agree that POE is not powerfull enough to drive wled’s, but there are more than justLED’s in HA. POE would be quite enough for most applcations (sensors, relays…).
In fact, a decent esp8266 module with LAN connector and poe would be… well, ideal. I didn’t found ESP826 board with LAN connector yet. It would come handy sometimes when wifi signal is too low, but i have a cable available…

This seems to be able to do it https://wesp32.com/ :slight_smile:at the sacrifice of small form factor and price

1 Like

Yeeeaahh… well… thank you for the link, but… the price is just too high to justify the cause (which is still mainly hobby, at least in my case),. But, such high price is to be expected, BTW…

I guess i’ll just keep using my “couple of bucks” chinese boards and additional wifi antenna if needed :money_mouth_face: at the end, for that price i can buy a quite decent wifi extender…