Esp8266 help

this is my first attempt to use an esp8266 module. a friend gave it to me already programmed and I am supposed to integrate it in HA.
I just managed to connect to the esp8266 with my android phone and I connected to my wifi network.
automatically it gave me the ip = 192.168.2.220 (and I keep it)
while my phone was connected to the module I keep a note for the station MAC.
Now I can see that it is connected to my network but is has a different ip = 192.168.1.118
I am trying to confirm that I have install it correct so I download MQTT fx in order to send a package (I am not even sure what this means right now)
However when I am trying both IPs I getting the message "unable to connect to the server.
What is wrong and what should I do to solve it?

I presumed that your friend gave you esp8266 programmed with your WIFI SSID and password, if so download Fing app for android install on your mobile and than scan your network and will show your device IP address.

no, certainly not with my wifi setup. I am not sure if it has his or none, Probably none I think.
He is using openhab and I can’t reach him right now.

the fing app did confirm that is connected to my network (espessif -i checked the mac address also)
I can ping it
I can trace route = Hop#1 70ms
it reports no open port (is that a problem?)

Should I add a static ip through my router?

Can you give steps in order to use MQTT to confirm that I can added later in HA?

what firmware is your device flashed with , Tasmota, Esp_easy or something else.

unfortunately I am not sure. I think Esp_easy. At least today he told to start using it.
is there a way to see it?

I was just searching for my problem and I found a page that has the ip which I saw in my phone when I connected to the module.
I don’t know if that mean something though

[146] Use static IP
[151] connectToWifi: start
[402] connectToWifi: connected OK
[402] --> IP = 192.168.2.230, GW = 192.168.2.1, SN = 255.255.255.0
[402] DNS1 = 192.168.2.1, DNS2 = 8.8.8.8
[403] begin: WiFi connected. Try connecting to Blynk
[408] BlynkArduinoClient.connect: Connecting to account.duckdns.org:9443
[3684] Certificate OK
[3696] Ready (ping: 10ms).
[3763] begin: WiFi and Blynk connected

If it is esp_easy and from Fing you can see IP address( of your device) on your network ,open any browser Firefox , Chrome or any and type address of your device e.g. 192.168.x.x and you shold see UI of esp_easy

Just tried both of the potential ips. none worked in chrome.

This site can’t be reached

I think he is using Arduino if that helps or it is related

I think this will help you understand how it is composed?

Arduino IDE settings
Edit the PubSubClient.h header file and change MQTT_MAX_PACKET_SIZE to 256

Libraries:

Arduino Core 2.4.1
WifiManager by tzapu 0.12.0
PubSubClient by Nick O`Leary 2.6.0

Sorry, maybe someone else come with solution.Try this Paradox Alarm Panel - Wemos D1 mini communication. Cheers

1 Like