ESPHOME camera - Setup Failed: ESP_ERR_NOT_FOUND

Hi

I bought ESP32-WROVER-DEV board which has the camera module integrated. You only need to attach actual camera. I thought that would be simpler this way, but now I cannot get it to work. The board works otherwise, but the camera setup fails. Can anyone confirm is my configuration correct or advice to correct direction?

I have used the example configuration which I think is for this board. Not 100% sure though…

esp32_camera:
  external_clock:
    pin: GPIO21
    frequency: 20MHz
  i2c_pins:
    sda: GPIO26
    scl: GPIO27
  data_pins: [GPIO4, GPIO5, GPIO18, GPIO19, GPIO36, GPIO39, GPIO34, GPIO35]
  vsync_pin: GPIO25
  href_pin: GPIO23
  pixel_clock_pin: GPIO22
  name: Cam

And this is what I get (after reset button):

[D][esp-idf:000]: E (551) camera: Camera probe failed with error 0xff(ERROR)
[E][esp32_camera:024]: esp_camera_init failed: ERROR
[E][component:113]: Component esp32_camera was marked as failed.

And then:

[C][logger:295]:   Log Baud Rate: 115200
[C][logger:296]:   Hardware UART: UART0
[C][esp32_camera:048]: ESP32 Camera:
[C][esp32_camera:049]:   Name: Cam
[C][esp32_camera:050]:   Internal: NO
[C][esp32_camera:052]:   Data Pins: D0:4 D1:5 D2:18 D3:19 D4:36 D5:39 D6:34 D7:35
[C][esp32_camera:053]:   VSYNC Pin: 25
[C][esp32_camera:054]:   HREF Pin: 23
[C][esp32_camera:055]:   Pixel Clock Pin: 22
[C][esp32_camera:056]:   External Clock: Pin:21 Frequency:20000000
[C][esp32_camera:060]:   I2C Pins: SDA:26 SCL:27
[C][esp32_camera:062]:   Reset Pin: -1
[C][esp32_camera:080]:   Resolution: 640x480 (VGA)
[E][esp32_camera:099]:   Setup Failed: ERROR

Any help would be very much appreciated.

I’m not sure if camera works with esp-idf, have you tried Arduino?

I have not. Totally newbie on this. Do you think I should go on that road? Would a separate camera module work on esp-idf, with the same board?

Just noticed this:

[C][esp32_camera:050]: Internal: NO

Do I need to change some setting so that the integrated module would be used? Or does that even mean that…

Today I have configured Arduino IDE but still no luck. Cannot get the camera working. This is the board I have:

Does anyone know can the camera work with ESPHOME? If not, what is the board I should use in Arduino IDE? I was trying to setup the “camera web server” example. What should be the camera model?

I start to think it would be easier to buy some other board with a separate camera module…

I wasn’t suggesting Arduino IDE, I was suggesting the Arduino framework in Esphome.

Right, I misunderstood you. I tried to change the framework only to find out that both webserver and camera code should be changed to follow the changed framework. Found that to be too much. Better to buy a board that works according to the examples.

I don’t think that is so. But at least at that price you can just bin it :slight_smile:

I have recently bought what looks to be the same board and I’m having the same problem. So far I have flashed it with ESPHOME and tried a bunch of combinations of configurations. I have then programmed it via the Arduino IDE and still no luck. If I flash it with any other code it seems to work fine but as soon as I try to activate the camera it fails. I’m still not sure if I simply don’t have the PIN numbers correct?

These things are very susceptible to dirty or poor placement of the little flat cable that joins the camera to the esp32. Unplugging, cleaning with white spirit and re seating can do wonders.

1 Like

FYI; Received the Freenove ESP32 Wrover board and it works immediately with the ESPHOME example code.

Do you mean the code in your first post?

Yes. The same example can be found here: ESP32 Camera Component — ESPHome

I have 5 of these running smoothly with the esphome example code for over 1 year

Make sure you use the right variant (e.g. mine work(ed) with the “Ai-Thinker” config)

However it looks like esp32cam is completely broken in latest esphome:

3 Likes

it works for me

An unstable 5v0/GND connection to my dev board caused this error to appear during camera init

1 Like