ESPHome component for ESPresense-like room tracking

Sure, testing would be no problem. :+1:
We have an Iphone and an apple watch at home.

I am surprised that this is not used more often. For me this is very interesting because all of my Esp32 i already have and flashed with esphome can be used with your integration without much effort.

That’s exactly why I wanted to develop it: I put it basically on every ESP32 I have, which isn’t using Bluetooth yet, and it works in parallel with main functionality. Also I wanted it to be proper device_tracker to use with Person integration (almost everyone else is just using binary_sensor), idk if that makes sense to anybody except myself tho.

BTW, did you try with HA companion app on iPhone? It should have that UUID for tracking purposes, I guess?

1 Like

I just had a look at the iPhone App and there is no uuid mentioned or toggable. As far as i know the beacon in Apple devices ist Always on, but to follows it with Espresense you need to extract an irk value.

I have about a dozen M5stack-Atom-Lites around the house. Some of them run LD2420 radars, some run older LD1115H radars, and all of them are BT proxy modules for HA. I thought - why there’s no integration with HA’s mqtt_room?! So, I started investigating, and no luck. But I came across this piece of code:

There aren’t many things in life I hate as passionately as C++. I never fully understood the code, and it wasn’t very useful as-is - the distance calculation when using HA android app (beacon) is crap.

But I learned from it and created a lambda that gets RSSI, negates it, and uses MQTT to send it to mqtt_room (instead of calculating the distance).

Unfortunately, there’s no HA API for mqtt_room, so I had to use MQTT proper. Anyway, my code is crap, I haven’t worked as a programmer since mid-90s :wink:, but it works, and if you want to make it better - have fun and let me know!

P.S. Ooops, I forgot - you need the include files from the project I shamelessly plagiarized.

1 Like

Awesome job man! I had a quick look at your code, and the simplicity makes it genius. I have been stalling the setup of a room presence system using esp devices as I hoped there would be something released like a decent espresense integration in esphome.

Your solution is not the final answer, but the idea is really nice. I will have a go on this on some of my devices. If there’s anything I can improve, I’ll be happy to create a PR.

1 Like

Turns out, there’s a MUCH better way, I was almost there but missed it :man_facepalming:

You just define your iBeacon as ble_rssi, and perform on_value. And call a script :slight_smile: Works both for iBeacons and for devices with a fixed MAC addresses.

UPD: you need sanity check, ESPhome sends large numbers for unavailable iBeacons.

mqtt:
  id: mqtt_client
  broker: ${mqtt_host}
  client_id: ${name}
  discovery: false
  topic_prefix: null
  log_topic: null
  idf_send_async: true

script:
  - id: report_ble_rooms
    parameters:
      device: string
      rssi: int
    then:
      - lambda: |-
          id(mqtt_client).publish_json(
            (std::string)"${mqtt_topic}/" + device + "/$LOCATION",
            [=](JsonObject root)
            {
              root["id"] = device;
              root["name"] = "Fancy name for " + device;
              root["distance"] = 0 - rssi - 30;
            }
          );

sensor:
############################### iBeacons
  - platform: ble_rssi
    ibeacon_uuid: !secret ble_uuid_z_flip_4
    name:         ${ble_name_z_flip_4}
    on_value:
      then:
        - lambda: id(report_ble_rooms)->execute("${ble_name_z_flip_4}", x);
    ibeacon_uuid: !secret ble_uuid_pixel_5a
    name:         ${ble_name_pixel_5a}
    on_value:
      then:
        - lambda: id(report_ble_rooms)->execute("${ble_name_pixel_5a}", x);
    ibeacon_uuid: !secret ble_uuid_pixel_4a
    name:         ${ble_name_pixel_4a}
    on_value:
      then:
        - lambda: id(report_ble_rooms)->execute("${ble_name_pixel_4a}", x);

############################### MAC addresses (fixed)
    mac_address:  !secret ble_mac_huawei_nina
    name:         ${ble_name_huawei_nina}
    on_value:
      then:
        - lambda: id(report_ble_rooms)->execute("${ble_name_huawei_nina}", x);
    mac_address:  !secret ble_mac_huawei_chuck
    name:         ${ble_name_huawei_chuck}
    on_value:
      then:
        - lambda: id(report_ble_rooms)->execute("${ble_name_huawei_chuck}", x);