ESPHome devices lose their connection

nope, unfortunately I dont have a serial connection to esp node.
I have read many posts and I have try almost everything.
But it still disconnects and as soon as it does, never connects again …

It’s needed to debug connection issues. Otherwise it’s just poking in the dark and you will waste lot’s of time with trial and error.

1 Like

Last ESPhome update made my nodes terribly unreliable, they drop out of my network like dead flies. I do not get why we get so many updates in a week lately, while things get bigger to flash and reliability gets worse, not sure what there is going on?!

Something similar. I have one device that will now only reliably connect on WiFi channel 11. Unfortunately it’s a really congested channel and that causes many other devices problems.

Hi,

Wondering if moving to new arduino framework lead to issues.
Are you esp nodes esp8266 based? Is the same issue happening also on esp32 nodes?

No they are esp8266 and esp32 based. And there is no difference to them.
Did all the things to make it stable, found out that chucking out the secret parts and giving them named SSID and Passwords does help a little in previous firmwares, plus power safes off, and radio power high.
And even though i did all that they now have a terrible drop out rate.
Besides that I wonder if all the reflashing of the ESPHome firmwares lately as said a few a week is not wearing the flash out.

@ jayjay

I do not get why we get so many updates in a week lately,

I noticed that too, and I just ignore the updates for a month or 2. Really I don’t need to update the esphome since I don’t add or mod the config files.

they drop out of my network like dead flies.

I have been tackling this issue for awhile now and it is still not 100%. I have also tried many ways to improve the drop of wifi including swapping out esp nodes to soldering capacitors. There is ONE that is bluffing me. Excluding the drop of wifi every so often, the node would drop wifi when the pir is trigger. But it doesn’t happen all the time, I noticed it is happening most of the time in the morning. Still a mystery. That is where I have tried swapping out a new esp node and soldering a capacitors. Recently, the drop of wifi in the morning for that node stopped. Doesn’t happening anymore. Very strange.

So if I understood correctly the issue was already there and the firmware update made it worse?

Most NVRAM has a minimum life-cycle of at least 10K flash operations.
The actual number these days is likely MUCH higher.
I couldn’t reflash a device one hundred times, much less 10K times, if I tried.