ESPHome encryption key is invalid

I have noticed this lately also. Seems to be happening on a lot of devices I renamed at some point by going to esphome, then rename (config file never touched). While not the exact issue, it’s almost like it thinks the name and friendly_name are 2 different devices now. Certainly sporadic but just noticed it in a lot of devices renamed at some point. Maybe I’m way off, just something I noticed. I also should do some esphome and orphan entity cleanup so that’s on me.

I am also having trouble with this. Device has been added and removed and renamed a couple of times. Now the following occurs

1. Do clean install with a new device name through esphome.
  2. HA sees new device and asks to configure it.
  3. No request for api key, device is just integrated into HA.
  4. Device works fine for several days
  5. Suddenly HA asks to reconfigure device and then will request api key. The api key I get from esphome is not recognized.
  6. I delete the device from HA and reboot
  7. HA sees the device again and asks to configure it.
    Now go back to step 4

It does this even if I remove the api key all together in esphome.
Driving me nuts!

Simply disable the device, restart Home Assistant then enable the device again!!! It worked for me

1 Like

Same here. Happened after a router change. Carefully recorded all IPS and macs before change and recreated them on new router but all esp home devices said they were offline in espweb but data was being received ok in HA. I’m left with a device that is difficult to access so not easy to connect to serial. Tried the suggestions above about disabled and restart HA but didn’t work. Anyone else solved it? I won’t be the only person to change a router with esp home devices on the network.

Hi! How did you accessed your previous build? where is it saved? Thanks!

I got it from the esp page. No clue why it gets confused
same key as before

Still no solution?

Not sure that there is a problem