ESPHome Web Server Dashboard

Do you have a target, when you will release it? Do you need any support, or tests?

1 Like

Code for personal use was 95% done, needed some tweaks. Now have to think about (and execute) splitting the free vs premium versions, market (list all the features i have created and how they are awesome). And impement the licensing and payment for premium… I will update it here, where you can join a waitlist if you answer 2 questions:

banner

5 Likes

Wow this really looks amazing, can’t wait to try it!

One question, are the js and css files cached by iOS in case you’re somewhere without mobile phone reception?

1 Like

yes, cached by JS/ServiceWorker on your device. the premium version licence check will have to go through internet somehow, still figuring that part out…
And thank you for the encouragement! :saluting_face::sparkles:

2 Likes

Hi
This looks really cool :sunglasses:
Sent you some small $$. It would be reassuring if you would have something to try out as a preview, even if it does not run perfectly yet.

(Any chance you could share the files to host this myself? I could possibly expose it to others to preview with your permission)

Keep up the good work! :+1:

1 Like

Thank you!

Is not an exit scam :sweat_smile:, had to go back to work, fund raised haven’t exceeded 50$… will try to split the free/premium soon and let you all know.

The self hosting/file sharing is what I’m pondering how to solve, as it comes to the premium version - since you can copy these and share as you see fit… the quiz on the project website says 50% people would like to put this on client work, so one time fee for me and monthly $$ from their clients doesn’t sound like a fair split.

I know most would like a freebie (and you will, nerfed), but maybe this thread can give some hints on payment possibilities you would consider and would be fair:

1. monthly per user
  2. single per user
  3. single per device
  4. single per user
  5. just sponsor as you see fit
  6. something else?

Also icons and installable app stuff is generated server-side (php), so thats another factor.

Good to hear that you are still on it! :sunglasses:
Guess it is kind of a narrow market and hard to get above a critical limit for it go viral…
Probably each device would need to verify license using an online service to be fairly bulletproof. Question is - is it necessary or could it be more trust based? At least in the beginning to get something running, then you have time to figure out the licensing part for the next awesome release :slight_smile:

I would not mind paying for a licens if I was to use it. However, I got here because I was looking for a slight improvement to the rather boaring built-in web interface. I only use it for the occasional testing/debugging since HomeAssistant is my main interface. A one time fee in my case is much more acceptable than recurring.

2 Likes

Maybe do a pay what you want monthly to get earlier access, maybe 30/60/90 days earlier?

I just saw @veli is looking for at least 10 monthly sponsors, I already sent a little bit by PayPal before and now just became the first monthly sponsor. It’s just 1$ per month so far, but a dollar is dollar. I hope some more people can join me, because this already sounds and looks amazing. Also it’s so sad that so much open source software looks so shitty and we really need to change that!

So please everyone join me and give @veli some support.

3 Likes

@veli out of interest - how do you get the history for the sensors? I thought esphome didn’t natively store the state history?

Correct, ESPHome does not store anything. But Home Assistant does. Similarly, anyone visiting the web server page can mark down the sensor states, or if its a web app, it can leave a JS service worker to mark stuff down for you.

1 Like

Hey, any updates?

Happily / sadly, the Esphome team has took upon them to implement most of the features in their v3 - web_server support for v3 by RFDarter · Pull Request #6203 · esphome/esphome · GitHub

it has most features, still does not look good, but seems to have taken more than a fair share of inspiration including graphs, rgb color picker, etc.

My latest venture was seeing into esp32camera streaming as picture-in-picture, works great, and im sure it will be copied as well. :pinched_fingers:

Have reached out to them for collaboration, no response, can’t compete solo against a company and they seem not to like competition/alternative products. Or my work is not quality enough. :confused:

1 Like

no response? Damn!

I guess you are in a difficult terrain @veli since ESPHome is open source and anyone can make additions. Is the creator of WebServer v3 , RFDarter, even associated with NabuCasa or is he just an ethusiast like you who decided to implement this for everyone?

One option which, unfortunately will not make you any money, is of course to contribute with all the nice UI things you have done to create a v4 web server.
The path that many of the NabuCasa employees seem to have gone on their way to paid emplyment is by being an active contributer to the community. I guess open source is one of the core philosophies of the company which may explain the lack of interest.

Whatever you decide to do with your great work, share it or keep it to use by yourself, I wish you the best! :+1:

3 Likes

Seems RFDarter isn’t part of nabu casa at all.

Also discord shows quite bluntly the way v3 was born.

From the discord logs it seems that the rgb Color picker was user suggested. So from your point of view what could be a fair share?

In the end it’s open source so everyone can participate (but no obligation). If you don’t want to share your work that’s obviously OK, but if others do work so the project evolves you can do little against it

2 Likes

I work on something called the AquaPi, sell the hardware but open-source the code b/c people smarter than me could make the UI pretty!