Esphomelib - A comprehensive solution for using ESPs with Home Assistant

Does anyone know a nodemcu board that works by just plugging it in a raspberry pi 3? Mine don’t show up, even after restarting the add-on.

Just finised some tests with a nodemcuv2: no problem. However I’m using the command line/dashboard version.

I’ve successfully used NodeMCU and D1 mini.
Had to switch USB cable though, using the first one the units didn’t show up.

1 Like

Anywhere you like. Running esphomeyaml livingroom.yaml wizard causes a esphomeyaml configuration file called livingroom.yaml to be created in the folder you are currently in. My suggestion is creating a esphomeyaml folder under the folder where you have your Home Assistant configuration and storing all esphomeyaml configurations there.

So typical, literally been trying to upload to a board for weeks and the second I post about it it works. So disregard my previous message, thanks for the replies!

When typing this into the putty console it gives an error. So this is not where I should run it?

found it I ran python2 -m esphomeyaml livingroom.yaml wizard in the shell. without python2 it did not recognize the command.

1 Like

Works like a charm @OttoWinter Thank you

1. Replaced USB data cable
  2. Restarted esphomeyaml addon
  3. RPi USB port is now detected
  4. Add sensors from https://esphomelib.com/esphomeyaml/cookbook/bruh.html to livingroom.yaml
  5. From dashboard, Validate then Upload firmware with actual IP address of RPi running mosquitto (“core-mosquitto” did not work)
  6. @bruhautomation multisensors magically appears in entities tab
  7. Automate
2 Likes

Having ordered a dozen Wemos boards plus some goodies a little over a week ago, and reading up on how to work with the ESP8266 boards, this add-on could not have come on a better moment! Having gone through all documentation I am really impressed Otto with what you created here.

As I have also ordered a dozen of SHT30 shields, I will test those and let you know how that works out.

For the SHT: Mine arrived two days ago and I fixed a minor bug. The fix is only in the latest dev version right now though: https://esphomelib.com/esphomeyaml/guides/faq.html#how-do-i-use-the-latest-bleeding-edge-version

Hi, I do have a bunch of Sonoff POW with its original firmware (no Tasmota) will this component work or not?

I’ve gotten the relay to turn on/off and the blue LED to turn on/off on a Sonoff Pow with the following setup. The energy sensor doesn’t work - esphomelib doesn’t yet have support for the HLW8012 chip the Pow uses. The Pow R2 uses a different energy sensor that also does not have support in esphomelib yet.

esphomeyaml:
  name: tv_outlet
  platform: ESP8266
  board: esp01_1m
  board_flash_mode: dout

wifi:
  ssid: 'xxxx'
  password: 'xxxx'

mqtt:
  broker: 'xxxx'
  username: 'xxxx'
  password: 'xxxx'

logger:

ota:

binary_sensor:
  - platform: gpio
    id: tv_outlet_button
    pin:
      number: GPIO0
      mode: INPUT_PULLUP
      inverted: True
    name: "TV Outlet Button"
    on_press:
      then:
        - switch.toggle:
            id: tv_outlet_relay

- platform: status
    id: tv_outlet_status
    name: "TV Outlet Status"

switch:
    id: tv_outlet_relay
    name: "TV Outlet Relay"
    pin: GPIO12

output:
    id: basic_blue_led
    pin: GPIO15

light:
  - platform: binary
    id: tv_outlet_blue_led
    name: "TV Outlet Basic Blue LED"
    output: basic_blue_led
2 Likes

Does this only work with HassIO? I am using Hassbian.

In Hassbian this would be something like:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install python python-pip python-setuptools
pip install esphomeyaml

# Use dashboard
esphomeyaml <FOLDER_YOU_WANT_TO_STORE_CONFIGURATIONS_IN> dashboard

# Use command line
esphomeyaml livingroom.yaml wizard
1 Like

Apparently this was just released:

https://www.itead.cc/sonoff-ifan02-wifi-smart-ceiling-fan-with-light.html

It would be really awesome if esphomlib could support it. :wink:

1 Like

Buy it for @OttoWinter and see what happens :wink:

1 Like

I’d send a Sonoff Pow to @OttoWinter or anyone else (assuming they are in the US, don’t really want to have to deal with international shipping) if they can get support merged into esphomelib.

I can send a POW from Europe

This is just flashing it with different firmware to tasmota etc, as with all the other times you’ve asked… No flash, no fun :wink:

1 Like

That might just be able to be arranged…

@OttoWinter It might be useful to publish a grid somewhere that details why one should choose this over other custom firmware (like Tasmota). :+1:t2: