Espresense device id - how to get them?

There was something wrong with my base stations. I could see the beacon in the espressence log but nothing wad coming to HA. I reflashed my esp32 base stations and they all started working. Those blue charm beacons are very nice. Is that what you used?

1 Like

I’m glad it all worked out! Yes I only use Blue Charm and they have been awesome :slight_smile:

Hmm, also having issues with more than one ESP32 base station. I have three.

Although entires exist in MQTT for the irk to device id/name for most devices, I have one that always reverts to just a name. Without the id it won’t trigger anything properly in HASS. I’ve published the correct entry but it seems to revert. Tried rebooting the base stations, but something keeps on happening that causes it to revert.

Pretty sure yesterday I also had this issue with another device, but that one is sticking. Hmm.

For now I’m sticking with the irk values even for iOS devices. It just works for now, and I’ll revisit the MQTT based configs in the future. Ideally I would place all irk values even for watches in MQTT to share the config between all base stations. Pasting the space-delimited list on all devices is a PITA :slight_smile:

Are you able to do anything meaningful with any that have a button? Even with the shortest broadcast duration, it takes forever for HA to revert the states of the beacon and beacon button. It takes so long sometimes, several minutes and I havnt been able to use it for anything worthwhile because of the delay.

a little question. Using the mode with the Apple:id111xxx… . it works very well … but there is a delay of 5 sec approx. is this going to improve that? as I know … the BLE has the particularity to update less than a normal bluetooth.

Golden explanation!! Thank you very much!! :smiley:

1 Like

I know I’m gonna post this, and someone is going to point out how stupid I am. I am pasting in that field, and nothing is coming out of the box that looks anything like 32 characters…

Also, I’m typing in my password just once to reveal what is in the “show password” field.

never-mind. i discovered on my own that i’m stupid. That field has a lot in there that’s hidden!

1 Like

Anybody have issues with the irk updating slow. I got the watch to show up but it only shows the room state for 2 mins then switches to not_home.

I found the longer my nodes are on, the less responsive or lack of response is higher. I made an automation that restarts all my nodes every 6 hours and it helps. I still can’t quite get it dialed in though. Until there are major improvements, I just wouldn’t even try to use these for anything that needs to be very reliable. They work good for locating things like keys, wallets, pets, etc. They work pretty good when used in combination with other presence detection sensors as well but, as a stand alone presence detection to control automations like turning on/off lights as you leave a room and enter another, it just isn’t there yet IMO. They are to inconsistent, not 100% accurate because it’s almost impossible to keep thr nodes from overlapping and a device location bounces back and forth between 2 rooms or sometimes not at all. You just have to have realistic expectations and not expect these to precisely track you room to room in real time, that’s not gonna happen, at least not yet.