Ethernet Switch, to be managed BY automations in HA? Need port on/off control

The Netgear was easy enough to get to the homepage, but I still have no idea where to find the Trendnet device on the network to get to its management page.

Right now it’s working in the network as a “bridge” device as a brute force method of accomplishing what I’m after: shutting off the ethernet to my kiddo’s room so he’s not up all night gaming, by using a Shelly1 mini switching device to cut the power to the Trendnet switch in my IT room. It’s an ugly solution, but via HA, I set up a button on my iPhone Control Center screen to quickly turn his internet on and off.

Ideally, I want to have a managed switch in his room (there’s only one ethernet cable up to his room), and be able to use HA to individually (and remotely) turn on and off the ports to his PC, PS5, and TV.

The manual should tell you how to access its configuration page.

And you probably need to lock the MAC address to the ports too or he will just swit h the cables in the switch to do what he wants.

If you know your switch comes with inbuilt IP address to start with then just connect Ethernet cable to 2nd or 3rd port. Assign the next IP of that series. Example 192.168.1.1 could be your switch’s factory default IP address then assign 192.168.1.2 to your Mac/PC. Try open the 192.168.1.1 using web browser. You may get to pass the security warnings and proceed further.

1 Like

Well, it appears as if the Netgear GS350E is a managed switch that doesn’t have any SNMP options, at least nothing that I can find in the control panel, nor anything showing up in HA that’s useful.

On to try this TP Link that’s arriving tonight, then retrying the Trendnet one I already have… again.

SNMP, you may find that in fully managed network switches. I will be surprised if these slightly upgraded home purpose switches will have any such features. Please try the HACs which I have mentioned above which has option to enable or disable a port as mentioned here.

OK, I finally figured it out and got the Trendnet set up with a static IP so I know how to access it.

I must say I stand corrected. There are switches that to not have SNMP as I determined.
I have for some reason never seen them and I have bought the cheapest managed switches for years when non-profit organizations needed a computer network, so I wonder why I never stumbled upon them.

1 Like

Usually more options are saved for enterprise level gear, the unmanaged and home/SMB gear has lack of these options to save on cost and to keep it simple for those environments where they don’t need more.

In most cases when looking at gear for the home if folks are willing to not be on the latest and greatest they can look to ex-enterprise gear that is sold for second hand bargins, or if you are lucky get freebies when a client gets liquidated.

1 Like

Good to hear you got the connectivity to the switch sorted out. From the manual I am guessing the port enable/disable feature should be under the network section. I am sure you will not be disabling the port that you are going to connect your PC or home assistant box that will be managing the other ports.

1 Like

Correct. The plan is to keep 2 ports disabled, leaving 2 ports for toggling on and off as needed.

i had the same problem. i bought three 10G capable managed switches three years ago, and to my surprise none were manajeable or monitoreable through SNMP. GAAAHH.

1 Like