Eurotronic Spirit Z-Wave - external temperature sensor

I’ve seen a lot of posts slamming these thermostats and I have something to add… my house is strange, some rooms are natural furnaces and others more like a refrigerator. I’ve noticed a behaviour in the thermostats where the warmer room the thermostat is “soft” valve opens less and in the cooler room the valve opens more even when the target temp is reached… personally I think these things learn if a room is a heat dump or a furnace and behave accordingly… pretty smart really

1. Set parameter 8 to 0x80 (listen for external sensor)
  2. Deliver ambient temperature to Spirit
    There is no way to call any HA service, but you can send direct Z-Wave data, using low-level API

Comand string format “0x31 0x05 0x01 0x42 0x%02x 0x%02x”
Last 2 parameters - 2byte of ambient temperature. Hi and low.

Recently I installed 2 of these TRVs for test, with potential to install another 9… I implemented for them very similar approach as you did (same logic, different templating). But I run into few issues:

• I noticed that for some reason parameter 8 actual value written to thermostat (and then showing in configuration as value of this parameter) is not the one that is calculated in template. It is always off-set by -1 (for positive values) or by 1 (for negative values). E.g. if I call service with parameter 8 value of -17 actual value that is set is -16. This is causing that input_number used to store assumed state of this parameter is gradually drifting from actual value, making difference between external sensor and what TRV is reporting and using to regulate temperature. I overcomed this by appropriate modification of template… yet need to see how it works in practice.
  • with one TRV I get to situation, when calculated correction is exceeding ± 50, so it cannot be corrected. It is ridiculously high difference - externally measure temperature is 22.0 C, while internal TRV sensor shows 29.8 C. So not only it cannot be corrected, but also, given the fact that the valve is completely closed and cold it raises the question if TRV is somehow broken? It developed such difference over time, initially corrections for this TRV were within 1~2 C, which seems reasonable.
    Did you, or anyone else run into such problems?

I have to say that I’ve had this automation work fine since I wrote it last winter. It was off in the summer, but it has been back on since September and I don’t see any issues.

This is interesting. Could you let us know how to write such low-level commends using ZWaveJS?

There are no Spirit installations with HA/ZJS, i cannot write or test anything.
Only installations with Vera are exists.

But you can oversee ZJS documentation here:
https://zwave-js.github.io/node-zwave-js/#/usage/custom
Actually Spirit waiting for incoming SENSOR_MULTILEVEL_REPORT, with precession 2.
If you t. sensor can send report to associated devices, you can link it at Z-Wave layer and do nothing in high-level logic.

I was checking zwave specification and found a message structure:

so in our case 15.12 C report to the target node should look like:

Multilevel Sensor 0x31
Command = SENSOR_MULTILEVEL_REPORT 0x03
Sensor Type(air temp) 0x01
precision  0x02
Scale (celsius) 0x00
size (2 bytes) 0x02  #not sure about size
value 0x0E 0x0C or 0x44bd0000 #not sure how to convert temperature to the right value

I couldn’t find how to feed this line to OZWaveJS

I have some plans about migration of installations with Spirit, but not now.
Where you can put a look?
It’s a my template for this task (sorry, my template, for me, i don’t want to export flow for some reasons)

NodeRED used for authomatization, HomeAssistant as device holder and dashboard constructor, Zwavejs2mqtt - as Z-Wave server (For HA - it a ZwaveJS), with node-red-contrib-home-assistant-websocket (set of nodes to interop with HA)

1. Manual. zwave-js - Z-Wave driver written entirely in JavaScript/TypeScript
    Looks like prec. and length calculated by Zwavejs2mqtt

2. Simplest way to send anything to anything - MQTT
    How-to:

Where blue nodes - you HA sensors. No matter, Zigbee, WiFi, or virtual.
    Hexagon - can be tunet to activate, when value changed, (i) - get value
    Gray node - timer
    Green - debug output
    Orange node - format you request. function.
    can be:

var nodeid=100500; // place actual id here
var sensortype=1;
var scale=2;
var value=msg.payload; // data from you sensor. if precesion not 2, you can reformat it

msg.payload={"args":[{"nodeId":nodeid,"commandClass":0x31,"endpoint":0},"set",[sensortype,scale,value]]};

return msg;

purple - MQTT output.
Topic is:

<YOU PREFIX FROM SETUP>/_CLIENTS/ZWAVE_GATEWAY-<NAME FROM SETUP>/api/sendCommand/set

default prefix - zwave, default name - Zwavejs2Mqtt
If ou want to chec output - use MQTT input with same topic, without “set”.
You can use some kind of MQTT explorers, to checkout what happened in real time.
If dry run Ok, remove debug nodes and connect formatted output to MQTT “send”.
and relax :grinning:

It can be constructed in 5 min.
And it is not an ONLY way.
You can use MQTT integration for HA and manipulate topics directly, from HA, tou can use other API.

1 Like

Thanks, I feel like I’m almost there, but not yet.
In the topic, last command is not set, but sendReport. I had every update in zwave2mqtt logged with error when it was set.

<YOU PREFIX FROM SETUP>/_CLIENTS/ZWAVE_GATEWAY-<NAME FROM SETUP>/api/sendCommand/sendReport

What I’m getting now is

2021-11-21 18:14:57.607 INFO MQTT: Message received on zwave/_CLIENTS/ZWAVE_GATEWAY-Mosquitto/api/sendCommand/sendReport: '{"args":[{"nodeId":3,"commandClass":49,"endpoint":0},"set",[1,2,22.5]]}'

And it clearly doesn’t work. Temperature reported still internal, and when external is 23C, internal 18C, setpoint to 22C - valve opens to 80%, so it still uses internal temperature for adjusting.
I tried sending 22.5 as string with 2 decimals, and still same issue.

2021-11-21 18:36:17.597 INFO MQTT: Message received on zwave/_CLIENTS/ZWAVE_GATEWAY-Mosquitto/api/sendCommand/sendReport: '{"args":[{"nodeId":3,"commandClass":49,"endpoint":0},"set",[1,2,"22.80"]]}'

NodeId is 3 because other commands on this TRV mention this number

2021-11-21 18:37:47.412 INFO ZWAVE: Node 3: value updated: 67-0-setpoint-1 22 => 22

Do you have any ideas what could I check or what I am missing?

Update 1:
Now I saw that it might be /set though… so with topic /set I have the following in the logs:

2021-11-21 18:45:39.337 INFO MQTT: Message received on zwave/_CLIENTS/ZWAVE_GATEWAY-Mosquitto/api/sendCommand/set: '{"args":[{"nodeId":3,"commandClass":49,"endpoint":0},"set",[1,2,"22.80"]]}'
2021-11-21 18:45:39.342 INFO ZWAVE: Calling api sendCommand with args: [
{ nodeId: 3, commandClass: 49, endpoint: 0 },
'set',
[ 1, 2, '22.80', [length]: 3 ],
[length]: 3
]
2021-11-21 18:45:39.346 INFO ZWAVE: The command set does not exist for CC 49 sendCommand undefined
2021-11-21 18:45:39.354 INFO MQTT: Message received on zwave/_CLIENTS/ZWAVE_GATEWAY-Mosquitto/api/sendCommand: '{"success":false,"message":"The command set does not exist for CC 49","args":[{"nodeId":3,"commandClass":49,"endpoint":0},"set",[1,2,"22.80"]]}'

Update 2:
So, topic was correct, typo was in the function, in there set should have been changed to sendReport.

2021-11-21 18:49:34.982 INFO MQTT: Message received on zwave/_CLIENTS/ZWAVE_GATEWAY-Mosquitto/api/sendCommand/set: '{"args":[{"nodeId":3,"commandClass":49,"endpoint":0},"sendReport",[1,2,22.8]]}'
2021-11-21 18:49:34.987 INFO ZWAVE: Calling api sendCommand with args: [
{ nodeId: 3, commandClass: 49, endpoint: 0 },
'sendReport',
[ 1, 2, 22.8, [length]: 3 ],
[length]: 3
]
2021-11-21 18:49:36.280 INFO ZWAVE: Success zwave api call sendCommand undefined
2021-11-21 18:49:36.289 INFO MQTT: Message received on zwave/_CLIENTS/ZWAVE_GATEWAY-Mosquitto/api/sendCommand: '{"success":true,"message":"Success zwave api call","args":[{"nodeId":3,"commandClass":49,"endpoint":0},"sendReport",[1,2,22.8]]}'

This is awesome! Thank you for your help.
Now, TRV does report back me the air ambient temperature, but it uses the external temperature that I send it.
TRV 18C, external temp that I send is 22.8, setpoint to 21, and TRV is completely closed. Perfect.

To sum up:
The only thing that needs to be changed is function in nodered, item in the payload args named “set” should be changed to “sendReport”

msg.payload={"args":[{"nodeId":nodeid,"commandClass":0x31,"endpoint":0},"sendReport",[sensortype,scale,value]]};

First of all:
Manual here:

Server awaiting only specific topic. For basic calls - “…/api/sendCommand/set”

About reporting temperature:
My Spirit’s reports ONLY internal sensor data, but works well.
How to test:
Set setpoint to 20C (for example) and put to Spirit fake data - 10C (it must open) and 30C (close)

P.S. Currently migration of 1st installation with Spirit from Vera to HA/Zw2mqtt/NodeRed planned within a 2 month. If you can wait, i can put here some kind of a working solution.

1 Like

Hey @Tmorfus , it’s all good - all working as expected now! I was wrong with topic, the issue was in the payload.
The only thing that was off was item in the payload args named “set” which had to be changed to “sendReport”. I made 2 updates to previous comment while looking for the solution.

msg.payload={"args":[{"nodeId":nodeid,"commandClass":0x31,"endpoint":0},"sendReport",[sensortype,scale,value]]};

It’s all working perfectly for a few hours already, many thanks for detailed instructions!

Thank you @insajd , @Tmorfus ,
I was waiting for it for 3 years :slight_smile:
Now it works fine.
I use home assistant MQTT service:

alias: Bedroom sensor
description: ''
trigger:
  - platform: state
    entity_id: sensor.home_temperature
condition: []
action:
  - service: mqtt.publish
    data:
      topic: zwave/_CLIENTS/ZWAVE_GATEWAY-zwavejs2mqtt/api/sendCommand/set
      payload: >-
        { "args": [ { "nodeId": 6, "commandClass": 49, "endpoint": 0 },
        "sendReport", [ "01", "02",
        "{{states('sensor.home_temperature')}}" ]]}
  - service: input_number.set_value
    data_template:
      entity_id: input_number.bedroom_temp
      value: '{{states(''sensor.home_temperature'')}}'
mode: single

So simple :slight_smile:

3 Likes

There is another one point:
Keep it in “Heating” mode. This device can heat and… nothing morre, becaise it’s a valve :slight_smile:

Some devices, like Eurotronic Air quality monitor, can send ambient temperature data directly to Spirit, only fill Z-Wave associations.

Удачи!

Does anyone know whether this can be made to work through zwave_js_set_value? It seems like it should work but I don’t know where to put sendReport`.

I don’t know, is it possible, or not.
Perhaps possible.
Value API and CC API, are different API’s

Put a look here:
https://zwave-js.github.io/node-zwave-js/#/api/overview
https://zwave-js.github.io/node-zwave-js/#/api/valueid

Try to use notification with Miltilevel CC metadata.

I guess this conversation implies that as of Oct 2021 there is no support in HA to send custom messages over zwave_js (only to configured params), so doing it via mqtt seems like the only way, for now at least.

Support Leviton scene/zone controllers · Issue #2397 · zwave-js/node-zwave-js (github.com)

Pity. I will think about MQTT at some point.

After a time, migration from Vera to Home Assistant + NodeRed + ZWave2mqtt done.
Installation with Spirit.

One job:
Ambient temperature detected by Philio sensor and Air conditioning thermostat in different places. Average value saved to HA “inpit_number”.

Second job:
When AVG temperature changed - send notification to Spirit
Spirit deals with the PID regulation of the valve by themself.
It’s work. Confirmed.

to

zwave/_CLIENTS/ZWAVE_GATEWAY-Zwavejs2Mqtt/api/sendCommand/set
2 Likes

I made changes in my config based on your code and now I’m a bit confused… On one hand it seems to work properly (in log I can see commands being send with proper arguments to valve and after significant change in reported temperature I see that valve opening changed as well). What is confusing is that now TRV reports current temperature not as one set by external sensor, but one that it is measuring internally. So without offset being set it is way off from actual (+9C in my case).Is this the case for you as well? This makes thermostat card looks weird:

Is there any way to get this displayed correctly… or it might indicate, that my config is not working properly?
BTW in your automation you set value of input_number.bedroom_temp… what is the use of it?

Yes it’s like you say - temp being reported from thermostat is kept as it and it looks very weird on standard thermostat card.
What I did is I installed custom thermostat card and it supports showing temperature of one sensor, and using climate entity of trv.

- type: custom:thermostat-card
      title: Living Room
      entity: climate.living_room_thermostat_mode
      highlight_tap: true
      ambient_temperature: sensor.temperature_158d00023256d7
1 Like

Thanks a lot, will give it a try tonight!
EDIT: installed, tested and working perfectly!