Eve Energy (v3 with Thread) power usage readout possible?

If this is what required to use Eve products, than i don’t need them.

It is possible that this was all related to my specific Debian / Docker setup. So I wouldn’t discard using Eve products right away.

the thing is, I have bought 3 of Eve energy sockets. They report power only via Bluetooth. Over Thread they report nonsense values- I have kept them connected for 1 day, values didn’t change.

1 Like

I have a Homepod Mini and I paired my Eve Energy devices first via the Eve app. That way they use Thread to talk to each other. I then unpair them one by one from Homekit (through the Eve app) and consequently they will pop up in Home Assistant.

You do have added them to Homekit first, right ?

yes, added to homekit via Homepod mini first. Then disconnected and add into HA. They all report 5000W permanent power consumption

I had the same issue at first. After I rebooted the server and physically unplugged the devices, the readings came through. It took a while (15-something minutes), but the readings are good now.

1 Like

same for me. What server did you reboot? HomeKit Hub ?

I had mine connected to HomeKit, deleted it there. Then it popped right up in HA.
I got the same readings (5.000 W and so on). What worked for me, was to reboot HA and “Soft”-Reset the EVE Energy (Holding the button 'til it blinked red and released).

I now get all the reading correctly, BUT:

• after a while, the first connection (if i want to switch the EVE on/off) takes around 5 secs. After that the switch is instant. (Maybe a sleep issue)
  • the data for Watt etc. is only updated every 5 mins, so it’s pretty useless for something that relies on a “live” status
  • Thread is not enabled

PS: I use this setup on my Pi4 without any further BT/Thread hardware addition to the Pi.

thanks, I followed your steps and reboot HA server. Then the readings started to normalize…

All good for now. Many thanks

1 Like

The readings are correct BUT it seems, the readout is sometimes plainly not availabe. So either it’s stuck at some wattage or it’s zero and doesn’t get an actual wattage… Maybe the reason is the not enabled thread… Don’t know for sure yet…
I’m afraid to enable Thread you have to add a Thread-Stick to the Pi… So for the moment i guess, it’s connecting directly to the Pi via BT and that, combined with going to sleep?, is not working flawlessly.

this is what is showing for my Eve Energy meter (Australian version)

I am happy with what I am seeing

Yes, it’s working (seeing almost the same data as you) :slight_smile:
Two things (at least for me) to keep im mind at the moment:

• It updates only every 5 minutes - that makes it difficult to use for “live” things, as you could have a max. timeframe of +10min for data (+5 mins of not accurate data at each end of the 5min readout period)
  • Thread is not enabled (Thread capable is detected through HA)

But it works, you can switch it and get a general view of the used power and consumption.

following my earlier post,

I found that the readings drops out from HA regularly. If I re-start the service, it may work for a while then drops out again. Any one know of a fix ?

CleanShot 2023-02-05 at 13.14.30@2x

I have the same problem - yesterday two eve energy per thread connected to HA and get the consumption only 5000W displayed, so far nothing has changed there… how long does it normally take until the display shows the actual consumption? so the consumption measurement is unfortunately completely worthless…

It works for me right now with a slight delay.

• if i switch it on via HA it takes about 5 secs to do so
  • power reading comes up after 30 seconds and displays the correct wattage
  • switching off takes around 3 secs, power reading follows 30 secs later to zero.
  • in the history I can afterwards see time and Watt with the correct values.

With me since the day before yesterday with both plugs no change - I have the one also again completely reset, has also not helped! I’m thinking straight whether I my Eve plug are connected by thread then gradually against Zigbee plugs from Aqara exchange where I do not have this problem … do not know more here!

I do not see the energy values in the device and have tried rebooting, soft resetting etc. Am I missing something obvious?

From my understanding, the Matter specification does not yet support Energy related “clusters”.

I could be wrong but I think the reason others in this thread have been able to get this to work is because they added Eve Energy via HomeKit Controller (as a HomeKit Accessory) instead adding it via Matter:

2 Likes

Using the homekit controller integration I am not able to find any items in my house

Reading through this as I have a couple of Eve Energy plugs that recently were updated to support Matter and Thread. Looks like Home Assistant can only pickup energy monitoring via HomeKit as Matter 1.0 does not support energy monitoring and there is no indication as to when energy monitoring will be introduced to the Matter standard.
Probably have to bring it all in via Homekit to make it work

1 Like