Eve Energy (v3 with Thread) power usage readout possible?

Hi all,

please forgive me, if this has been asked already,
I own a new Eve Energy smart plug. This thing can measure power consumption. I can switch it on/off via Apple Homkit and additionally see power usage and what not via the eve app.

Is it by any chance possible to read out the measurements (i supect not directly, as it uses thread and BT to communicate)? Perhaps via an api or something? I do see the actual measurements as well as a history in the eve app, so me thinks, the data has to be stored somewhere…

Thanks a lot in advance!

1 Like

Same question for me.

But I guess we could access power consumption when Matter arrives to Eve and Home Assistant.

Hi,

Have you gotten any further with this? Do you have the smart plug working at all in Home Assistant?

No news here so far. It seems that this will be impossible as long as matter or another new protocol aren’t supported by EVE.

1 Like

I don’t think it is Eve’s task to support another protocol (which would be IP/WiFi for it to work with current HA version). Eve does support Thread/Matter which should be the new standard very soon - but HA does not support Matter atm.

Anyways - you can use the Eve Extender bridge to basically make the Eve devices available via WiFi - then you can use them in HA via HomeKit Controller.

1 Like

As Matter is starting to come to HA my hopes are high.

But as stated in the OP, it is not to just switch this thing on and off (this is already doable), it’s about a live reading of the power consumption.
At the moment it seems, that this data is only collected within the eve energy and then also only accessible via the EVE app and an established direct connection (not working in Apple HOME).

So i think it is part on EVE to push/publish this data via Matter. But we will see… Fingers crossed :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah I actually contacted them and asked them exactly that. First reply was, that the sensor data is proprietary to their app and will not be published via Thread even in the future when Matter takes off.

After replying and asking, if that’s really how they want to be part of the standard (tbh without publishing the sensor data outside of their own app the plugs are useless and overpriced), they told me “that it is still open what happens with Matter”.

3 Likes

Yup I am hoping that Matter will somehow resolve this. Noob error buying the plug in the first place … wont be buying anything else from them thats for sure.

1 Like

Same for me… bought 4 in a pack because I was so much looking forward to have Thread/Matter sensors & plugs.

1 Like

Stumbled upon this topic. Own a couple of Eve Energies (thread enabled) and really appreciate the power measurement function.

Since Matter 1.0 is released and HomeAssistant is near to release the SkyConnect Dongle, anyone already figured out if Power Consumption / Measurement is part of Matter?

I have looked into the matter documents but don’t see it, maybe I don’t understand what I am actually reading.

Has anyone added one of these to HA using the HomeKit controller via a HomePod mini using Thread? Is the power info available?

1 Like

It is available using the HomeKit integration

1 Like

I added my Eve Energy v3 (Thread) today to Home Assistant. Turning on/off works, but the power info is not working properly over here. Or am I doing something wrong?

I’m having the same issue - on/off works, but the power sensors are reading nonsense data. 5000W when there’s nothing plugged into it!

When paired directly with Homekit (not through HA) the power readouts are as expected.

EDIT: Seems to be working now, despite no action on my part. Seems to have rectified itself somehow.

1 Like

It connects, but the power usage output doesn’t seem to work properly.

Quick question, how do you connect the Eve Energy to Home Assistant? Are you using a Bluetooth dongle?

It’s connected via the Homekit Controller integration.

1 Like

@UpliftingSloth:
The new Eve Energy use Thread, not Bluetooth.

The 5000 W problem solved for me too. You just need to wait some time until the values are correcting themselves.

However - when the power plug is on or off for a few days, Home Assistant loses the connection. Then you manually need to toggle on/off on the device again to make Home Assistant rediscover the device. Since I mainly need the plug for power measurement, this really is very annoying.

For now I went back to HomeKit until the Matter update arrives in December. I really hope using Matter will solve the issue.

How did you manage to add it to HA ? I’ve succesfully added it to Apple Home (through Eve app), and it works using Thread. I have then removed it from Apple Home App, and it pops up in HA to be configured as a HomeKit Accesssory.

I cannot add it. Even with the pairing code, it throw an error.

I am puzzled though as how it would be able to communicate with HA if my HA installation doesn’t have Thread/Matter protocol enabled ? Would it need to be configured differently ? Any help appreciated .

If you get an error, just do a factory reset with Eve Energy. Then pair it to HomeKit, remove it (not resetting!) and then it pops up in HA. The configure by entering the code. This worked for me.

1 Like