Exterior UK power sockets? Ideally WiFi

Anyone found any decent HA-supported exterior plugs…? Ideally WiFi, as am trying not to get into Z-Wave / ZigBee at this stage.

Have been using this this 433MHz junction box, but it’s just proving too flakey over RFXCOM.

Notice these sorts of things are starting to emerge.

Suggestions welcome! Or will update when I inevitably buy a load and try them out…

Sonoff S55 series?

https://www.itead.cc/sonoff-s55.html

1 Like

Ooh. Sorry - just seen… Nice! Thanks.

Shame there are no junction boxes.

In case anyone comes across this and is also looking, I’ve tried and settled on the Knightsbridge Smart sockets above. Not crazy expensive. Two UK weatherproof sockets, separately switchable. They’re Tuya compatible, and so far appear to integrate into HA perfectly.

3 Likes

Did the power monitoring feature of the Knightsbridge socket work with HA too?

1 Like

Yep. Power monitoring working fine via Tuya, though am finding the integration a little wonky at times.

1 Like

Firstly apologies for dragging this post out of the dark again

may I ask if you got these working in localtuya as well?

I purchased some indoor double wall sockets by Knightsbridge, added them to Tuya app fine and do their thing there…but of course, we HA peeps want them fully integrated into the best system we can

I can add them to localtuya (it sees them as their ID and IP address…but the entities are instantly unviable, and it doesn’t even see the two individual sockets.

Maybe you did something a little different to me but I’m a little stuck and this is the first Tuya device I’ve had any problems with on localtuya

It doesn’t even show the status of a single switch, let alone both of them…so not able to see any info re the socket at all…but all works fine in the app

Hi Jon,

I only added them via the standard Tuya integration, which requires all sorts of developer cloud credentials and general nastiness (opaque but achievable). They work fine.

I’ve not got round to implementing Local Tuya as yet. Also seems to require all the same nonsense as above. Not sure if each device needs individually adding to the cloud account or what at this stage.

Will repost if I get round to investigating! Good luck!

R.

1 Like

thanks for the reply…not really wanting to get them on the cloud service if I can help it but could always do so to test and then remove

IF I was doing something like this I’d have the external socket controlled by a fused spur inside the house, then use a Shelly Plus 1 in the spur Shelly Plus 1 | Shelly Store UK | Smart Home Automation

You can get WIFI or Zigbee Fused spurs now, a lot easier that trying to get a Shelly behind. But, this only allows you to switch both sockets off and on at once.

I have some Broadlink WIFI sockets (no power monitoring though) and they fit a standard External Socket Box

1 Like

Oh well, in that case, there’s this https://www.screwfix.com/p/british-general-ip66-13a-2-gang-sp-weatherproof-outdoor-switched-smart-wi-fi-controlled-socket/894pg

Yes that’s the same socket I have in a weatherproof housing

oh, I get it now!

Did you manage to get The Knightsbridge sockets working with localtuya? I was thinking those sockets might be the best (only) option but i didn’t want them going to the outside internet just to switch some lights on.

Or are there any better options for external switches now? (The British General socket still seems to need some remote app to control it).

Afraid still not checked LocalTuya out. Still a bit patchy, but works well enough, so sure it will work the same or better on LocalTuya. If someone get’s it working, may be enough to tip me over to it!

I have a few of these. Once the initial setup is done with the app, you can delete it, works locally with HA Broadink Integration

Guide here:

The Knightsbridge sockets can be flashed with Tasmota, so you have local control with HA. I am a noob to flashing an ESP chip (or any other) but successfully followed these instructions in about 2 hours for one socket. The next will be much quicker. SmartKnight ML Accessories Ltd - Smart Plug - #19 by chiversc

1 Like