External Syslog Server

I see in the documentation that there’s a syslog platform but it looks like it’s only for the local syslog. Is it possible to log to an external syslog server?

Configure your local syslog system to forward those logs.

1 Like

How would you do that on Hassbian?

You’d put something like the following in /etc/rsyslog.conf:

*.* @192.168.0.1

That would copy all syslog entries to the remote server at 192.168.0.1. You can limit what it sends, see man rsyslog.conf for details on the configuration file format.

1 Like

Is there any way to do this with Hassio?

Short answer - no

Anyone with the brains and desire to write an add-in for this I would certainly use it.
I would think it be a no-brainer to get those logs off the PI and somewhere else.
Even Tasmota has a way to do that.

Open a feature request in the Feature Requests section :wink:

Thanks.
I haven’t posted in here much, mostly lurked, but I took your advice and did this.
Feature request is in, please vote it up!

1 Like

URL to the request?

1 Like

Please go add your thoughts to this ticket https://github.com/home-assistant/supervisor/issues/1783

Given that syslog is so prevelant, and the bleeding obvious benefits to supporting it in HA, my suggestion of supporting it was shot down ridiculously quickly without a second thought by HA maintainers, but maybe some additional comments would help revive it.

That issue has been abruptly closed because reasons.
Seems that some members of home assistant team do not like enhancements propositions and do not care about medium to advanced users.

1 Like

Looks like that was closed since it would be a feature request, which looks like has been done here:

1 Like

Any way to support your feature request? This function is vital for knowing what’s happening on all systems running in a (home) network and to get some insights too.

1 Like