Facial recognition & room presence using Double Take & Frigate

@Jako good suggestion, I will try that.
To confirm double take will only display an image if one of the detectors detects a face rather than displaying an image for all images passed to it from Frigate, which as I type this make absolute sense, no need to answer :slight_smile:

I could add in some logic that saves one of the Frigate images if none of the detectors return any results, so something in those circumstances would at least show up in the UI.

Add-on Beta Testing

Anyone running Hass.io on amd64 and want to help beta test the addon?

I only have Hass.io on my Pi, so that arch will be included in the 1.6.0 stable release of the addon, but hoping to get a few people to test the beta addon before the new release. https://github.com/jakowenko/double-take-hassio-addons

I can try it out. I already have Double Take setup on a separate machine in a docker container, so I can test your beta addon side by side with my existing setup

1 Like

Thanks. I see I config this within Double Take, so if I understand correctly, Double Take will get the message that it needs to try to detect a face and instead of grabbing the Frigate snapshot, it will grab the one from the snapshot URL? Is there a delay that would cause the Frigate snapshot and the one Double Take grabs afterwards to be different?

Also, is there not a similar feature within Frigate for it to regrab from the snapshot URL when it detects an object?

I’m currently running double take and compreface using docker for windows on an old laptop, and running home assistant OS on a separate amd64 device (intel NUC), so I can test the add on on my HaOS instance.

1 Like

Thank you. I don’t want to call it production ready yet, but I tested it as much as I could. Just want to get some feedback before I include it in the next release.

I’ll try it out. Not sure if I’ll have time before this weekend though.

1 Like

Added a feature request along with my use case, hope it makes sense!

Just installed the beta, so far so good. Install went perfect with no issues, have stopped the original double take instance and moved the config over. So far so good. Will report any issues I run into.

1 Like

Awesome, that’s great to hear. Thank you for testing it and for the feature suggestions. I will check them out!

I appreciate all your hard work on the project and creating the Add-ons! Would you ever consider creating a double-take proxy like there is for frigate so we could use our dockers that are already installed and still be able to access it though home-assistant? Thanks!

I´ve been running the beta addon side by side with the docker version for 2 days now, and I can´t find anything that is missing or not working with the beta addon. Real good work!

2 Likes

Thank you @r3draid3r04, I really appreciate it.

I can definitely look into a proxy add-on. So basically you can run Double Take on another machine and the proxy add-on points to that instance so you can view it within Home Assistant?

Thank you so much @styxxen

Got the proxy add-on ready for you!

Reload your add-ons and you should see it. Let me know if it works for you!

Screen Shot 2021-10-29 at 8.07.00 PM

Well the addon installed nicely and I can see the webpage just fine. So great job there Jako!
I just didn’t realize that I needed to have a detector installed separately. I guess I thought it would include a detector like some other object detection addons have in the past.

The reason I prefer to use addons is that I am using HAOS so I would need another machine running to run docker at all. So while I’m sure this addon is a big help to most…unless I can find a home assistant addon running compreface and then point your addon at that one…it seems I’m out of luck.

Anyway I wanted to let you know the addon installed without a hitch.

Thank you for the kind words. I’m not sure I’ll be able to make CompreFace an addon since it currently requires multiple containers and each add-on can only be a single container.

I was able to make DeepStack an add-on if you want to try that. It’s probably the second best for me next to CompreFace. If you reload the add-ons you should see the new one.

2 Likes

bit off topic but anyone got CompreFace working on virtualbox with VM being Home Assistant OS with windows as base OS? I used the alexbelgium portainer addon to get round the issue with the official portainer addon not starting containers on HA OS so it was all running but as soon as double take (and manually in the compreface frontend) tried to pass the image it basically crashed the whole VM, diskwrite on windows was showing 100% for the VM and it just didn’t give up until i finally killed the whole VM 10 mins later.

I’ve run deepstack on the same VM (with a manual install using portainer) so definitely was CompreFace that locked up the system. I plan to ditch the window setup when i have time, its an old setup from before i started using HA that runs unifi, a mail server & webmail client so easy enough to move when i have some, but rather annoying can’t get it setup & test it.

You are awesome! Thank you so much!

1 Like