Fade in a GE Light Switch (Zwave)

I’ve searched and I can’t find any successful configurations. But how can I make a GE Dimmable Light Switch fade on over x minutes? I tried transition but later found that doesn’t work for Z-Wave?

Has anyone written any automations for this?

With Z-wave, that’s a feature of the switch. There’s usually a setting you can apply that’ll affect the fade-in/out.

For example, this page shows the codes for Jasco switches. Scroll down to “Dim Rate Adjustments”
http://www.ezzwave.com/advanced-operation/

Not sure if GE is exactly the same. Then you’ll need to figure out how to set parameters.

I haven’t played around with it much, but it looks like the zwave manager in the HA UI lets you choose a node and set this, depending on the switch’s support.

Sorry, should have specified, I’m using MQTT bridge with SmartThings, and I can’t see any settings in SmartThings

1 Like

The GE switches ramp up/down by default. I’ve never done anything to change it, but mine take ~5-10 seconds to make the transition.

Mine fades off but not on

Mine are controlled directly from HA. Is there a ramp setting in SmartThings?

No it doesn’t. Not that I’ve been able to find

I’m trying to write a script to loop but I’m pretty new…
Automation:

• id: ‘0003’
    alias: ‘Gradually turn on light’
    hide_entity: False
    trigger:
    platform: template
    value_template: ‘{{ states.sensor.time.state == states.sensor.alarm_clock_time_long.state }}’
    condition:
    condition: state
    entity_id: input_boolean.alarm_clock_status
    state: ‘on’
    action:
    • service: script.wake_up_start

Script…

wake_up_start:
sequence:
- service: light.turn_on
data:
entity_id: light.bed_fan_light
brightness: 5
- service: script.turn_on
data:
entity_id: script.wake_up_loop
wake_up:
sequence:
- service: light.turn_on
data_template:
entity_id: light.bed_fan_light
brightness: ‘{{light.bed_fan_light.brightness + 5}}’
data:
entity_id: script.wake_up_loop
wake_up_loop:
sequence:
- delay:
seconds: 10
data:
entity_id: script.wake_up

But it doesn’t seem to be looping

Edit: Can’t get the formatting right on here, but it’s correct locally

You need to install a device handler that had this feature/ setting exposed in the app

What do you mean? I can set the brightness level fine from my other controls, just not sure how to automate the “fade on”

You can install a device handler in ST that will allow you to change the settings @ih8gates mentioned above. Those, however, are not able to be adjusted through automations (in my findings, at least). I attempted to do this manually a while back but ran into issues with the automation not cooperating when being called recursively. This may be best as a Python script or AppDaemon app.

I’ll give AppDaemon a shot and report back.

Managed to do a quick and dirty solution using python script.
Posted the solution here: Light Fade In