"Failed to perform SSL handshake, please ensure your certificate is valid"

I am getting this error on the Android app every so often and I am unable to access from the app or Windows Chrome browser until I do a hard power cycle on my HA Blue.

My setup is very simple, I access the my HA instance via local host (HTTP) on my LAN and remotely using Wireguard. For troubleshooting I removed nginx proxy manager as I never used it and I do not have DuckDNS integration installed, however this error still occurs. I also have enabled Nabu Casa remote access as a backup in the event my wireguard server is down while accessing remotely.

I read in another thread that I should check the time zone however it is the correct time (Central US).

I checked my configuration.yaml and do not have an http entry and I am not sure if I need one. I tried changing my DNS address on my router but the issue is still happening.

Here is what I found in my Android companion app crash logs at the time my HA Blue went down:

2022-11-02 11:46:18.311: java.io.IOException
	at io.homeassistant.companion.android.common.data.websocket.impl.WebSocketRepositoryImpl$handleClosingSocket$1.invokeSuspend(WebSocketRepositoryImpl.kt:498)
	at kotlin.coroutines.jvm.internal.BaseContinuationImpl.resumeWith(ContinuationImpl.kt:33)
	at kotlinx.coroutines.DispatchedTask.run(DispatchedTask.kt:106)
	at kotlinx.coroutines.internal.LimitedDispatcher.run(LimitedDispatcher.kt:42)
	at kotlinx.coroutines.scheduling.TaskImpl.run(Tasks.kt:95)
	at kotlinx.coroutines.scheduling.CoroutineScheduler.runSafely(CoroutineScheduler.kt:570)
	at kotlinx.coroutines.scheduling.CoroutineScheduler$Worker.executeTask(CoroutineScheduler.kt:750)
	at kotlinx.coroutines.scheduling.CoroutineScheduler$Worker.runWorker(CoroutineScheduler.kt:677)
	at kotlinx.coroutines.scheduling.CoroutineScheduler$Worker.run(CoroutineScheduler.kt:664)
	Suppressed: kotlinx.coroutines.DiagnosticCoroutineContextException: [StandaloneCoroutine{Cancelling}@356a26c, Dispatchers.IO]

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2 Likes

@alexcapone
Hi, dit you find any solution for this?
I have exactly same problem. The only difference is that I have a NUC with Windows 10 and
VMWare Workstation on it

Unfortunately I have not found out what is triggering the issue. I posted this in a few threads on the same topic:

This seems to be affecting several number of people but no one has posted a definitive solution. The good news in my case is that its not happening as frequently. How often is it happening for you?

its happening every 10-15 min

Hello guys any news on this fix ?
It started to happen with me after the latest update and it’s continuous so cant even access the front ui anymore.

Is anyone using eero wifi mesh?

I have started getting the same issue just now, never seen this issue before.
Using HA remote access and Android app.

Can’t access HA atm which is annoying.

What device are you using to run Home Assistant?

Could you all monitor memory usage? I resolved this issue by automating a HASS OS reboot once a day. No issues ever since!

I used to do this but at some point I stopped. I will turn it back on.

Also I was I was using Google drive backup add on which also took local backups. I had 299 backups which was like 70 GB on my Home Assistant Blue. I deleted all but the latest backups. Hopefully that makes a difference.

Since this error mentions SSL would getting an SSL certificate while using HA on your localip possibly fix this issue?

I have found out the problem. My NUC with Windows installed was shutdown because the energy saving was wrong. So turn everything off 8n energy saving. Even the harddrive

1 Like

In my case, I’m using a home assistant blue and I’m not aware of any energy savings settings that can be adjusted to fix this problem.

Okay, so it happened today on the android app while I was outside my LAN. The first thing I did was install hermit custom webapp on my phone with the home assistant localhost:8123 address. I was able to get in so I know it is not a host issue, it is an android app issue.

Since I was still able to get in I pulled the log from HA Core to see what happened at the time I got the SSL handshake fail error:

Logger: homeassistant.components.http.ban
Source: components/http/ban.py:81
Integration: HTTP (documentation, issues)
First occurred: 3:34:10 PM (1 occurrences)
Last logged: 3:34:10 PM

Login attempt or request with invalid authentication from [Wireguard Public IP] (Wireguard Public IP). Requested URL: ‘/auth/login_flow/0f6b4935f30d6c531328ce487a0ee91a’. (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 13; SM-F936U1 Build/TP1A.220624.014; wv) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Chrome/109.0.5414.118 Mobile Safari/537.36)

Why is it telling me that my login attempt is invalid when I’m on Wireguard VPN? I can hit all my other localIP addresses when I’m outside of my LAN and connected to Wireguard. I tested this to ensure this was in fact the case. Is there any way to whitelist it?

Edit: I am trying this out:

1 Like

I also set SSL profile to intermediate.

ssl_profile string (optional, default: modern)
The Mozilla SSL profile to use. Only lower if you are experiencing integrations causing SSL handshake errors.

Hi all, I also get this when trying to access HA remotely sporadically. Never get it when on LAN and it’s not consistent. If I return home which turns off remote access then leave again which turns remote access back on it sometimes works even without a reboot.

Did you set up trusted networks and change SSL profile to intermediate? I have not had an issue since doing those two steps.

How do you do that?

Trusted Network:

SSL Profile to Intermediate:

1 Like

I’ve been having regular issues over the last week or so where I can no longer access my HA on my raspberry pi at home. I’m deployed so I can’t physically restart. The only way I can fix it is to restart the router that it’s on. When I figure out which of the nodes it’s currently on and restart it, I can get in then. I’ve upgraded to the latest OS and supervisor. When I try to log in, I get an SSL handshake error. Of course, I just got back in, upgraded to the latest OS, and now I can’t get in at all…don’t even get the SSL error. Probably going to have to have my wife restart it locally.