Far field satellite with an Elegant 3d printed enclosures

If you want to speed up things while waiting, this design does fit the ESP32-Korvo-1.1 (I’ve printed it and verified). So you should be able to compare your design directly with this model (as a side note, it would nice if the speaker mount for your model did match).

That sounds good to me, having a known working model to use to confirm dimensions works nicely. Could you post the link and I will take a look. It’s likely going to be early next week before I can get anything posted up (Im not near a workstation until Tuesday next week)

I’m also planning on transplanting a ESP32 S3 N16R8 onto the Korvo v1.1 if I can confirm that the pins map correctly.
£/$/€50 seems a bit pricy for the Korvo1 V5 but the Korvo V1.1 for £/$/€20 and replacing the module could be a sweet spot, at least before I can get a custom run of PCB’s without the additional bloat, spun up.

I’ve been in contact with Espressif, asking for the editables schematics, but they want me to sign a NDA… So I will just continue transposing the publicly available schematics, so I can freely release All the designs as open source.

1 Like

Sorry, forgot to paste: Printables

I can get the speaker mount to match, though out of curiosity do you have a link to the speaker you are using? A make/model, or at the least the size and wattage of the speaker?

I’ve yet to connect and test it (and I see others have problems to get audio to work), but I found that this model did fit physically:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003717211529.html

@aherbjornsen Ive got a speaker on order from AliExpress, that got some good reviews
(No technical data sheets, but I don’t feel like paying for a reputable supplier while testing)

I expect I will eventually go for Viaston FRS 5 X units, once the project has its kinks ironed out and can play music

Fabric for covering the unit has been ordered too, this stuff in grey should look nice, and hopefully be photogenic (Black would look nicer IRL, but likely not photograph well)

I got access to the ESP32-Korvo V1.1 and ESP32-LyraTD-MSC Dev boards today, Now to look at getting the audio working (if the ESP32 Wrover is a fast enough chip for ESPHome)
Work will begin on getting the aesthetic enclosure closer to being released

3 Likes

This is so exciting! Like I commented over in Egg Voice Assistant, I’ve been dreaming of a smart speaker system with pretty much exactly the same criteria you outlined in your post—far field, LED ring display, can play music and sound good. I hadn’t considered a ceiling mount, though—what a neat bonus!

I’m definitely interested in this project and will be keeping my eyes on it. :eyes:

Thank you for your interest, I’m collaborating with a few other smart speaker creators over on the ESPHome and Willow Discord server, to get the schematic put together to meet those goals.
I’m aiming to the the first draft of the KiCAD schematics posted to GitHub later today, under the LibreTalk GitHub organization.

My apologies, as this seems to be focusing alot on enclosures and the like, without a ton of talk on the setuo. Am I correct in that this is mostly just a thought experiment?

I think my issue was that I have tried to attack this project from multiple directions at the same time.

I tested both the ESP32-Korvo-V1.1 and ESP32-LyraTD-MSC,
The Audio output on the Korvo V1.1 doesn’t seem to work regardless of all the setting I’ve tried (and a lot of others look to have the same issue with it)

The LyraTD-MSC worked well for Audio reproduction (TTS playback) and the microphones worked to pick up the wake work and STT. Not perfectly tuned, but better than a wall mounted tablet (looking at you Amazon Fire 7") however the light array is a bit of a PITA with it not being a neopixel

Then the icing on the top is neither board is using a ESP32 S3

So I have been focusing my time collaborating with other smart speaker designers, to design something that I believe will suit the needs of most end users. Which has resulted in me spending less time on the Enclosure or Yaml configs for the development boards (mostly this thread’s intent)

The schematic for the PCB we have been working on can be found at
GitHub - Libre-Talk/Wave: Smart Speaker satellite it’s an early draft without all the nets fully connected, and the PCB is being layed out

1 Like

1 Like

So the setup with me appropriately using Sonos speakers as output media players “was” working for me — until I started hitting buffer errors.

At this point, I’m migrating to Raspberry Pis with ReSpeakers. IMO, ESP32-S3 devices don’t have enough memory to properly handle quality voice assistant work and was a terrible recommendation over satellite pis.

Hmm, sorry to hear that. Oddly I did get a ESP32 Wrover on the LyraTD_MSC working nicely as my first try with Assist (Audio pickup and playback) and that’s a lower spec chip than the S3.

I wonder if that’s an issue related to Bluetooth audio streaming?

If you’re looking to sell the Korvo-1’s, give me a DM

Actually, yes. There’s a warning all over the ESPHome documentation that says that bluetooth, audio, and voice assistant functions each “consume a significant amount of resources” which causes issues when used together. I would be willing to bet most boards available for sale are quite underpowered for the purpose. ESP32-S3s may have the issue compounded if you’re using microWakeWord as well, since the requirement for using that is at least 2Mb of PSRAM.

This guy details out some of the root issues I’m seeing. If everything works with the Pi I’ll definitely reach out.

But for clarity I’m using a network call to call my Sonos speakers through media player integrations in HA (see my linked config). No BL use at all.

No worries, I didn’t mean to seem dismissive. This looks amazing, I just have been hurt before by good design and not good software/hardware

1 Like

I get where you are coming from. For a project like this all 3 need to be worked on for a good device, Hardware, Software and the Enclosure.

I’m putting my hope into the work that has been done by the community on the software side as that has a lot of activity with the Espressif ADF at it’s core

Part of me is still worried that a ESP32 S3 isn’t powerful enough to stream music, while also being able to use a Wake word. I’m keeping an eye on how that is developing

1 Like

Some additional discussion over on the Rhasspy forums: Question: would anyone be interested in a open source DSP mic array? - #2 by synesthesiam - Hardware - Rhasspy Voice Assistant

1 Like

Any updates on the 3d printed enclosure for the Korvo v1.1? I found this one on thingiverse: ESP32 Korvo (Jarvis Voice Assistant) Puck Enclosure by CleverCasaChronicles - Thingiverse which is not bad looking and pretty basic to just get going with. Credit to CleverCasaChronicles for this: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/ehUY2GHL8XE Also, if anyone has been able to get the korvo to continually listen as well as stay running after boot that’d be great. Followed this install and it works, but its kinda unstable for some reason: Voice Assistant-Add support for the espressif esp32-korvo-v1.1 · Issue #2430 · esphome/feature-requests · GitHub