Ffmpeg missing from Docker image

Decided to use ffmpeg and realized this was not included in docker image.
Can this be added to Docker image?

An alternative to including it by default might be to have a way to install custom programs.
For example the home bridge docker has a Json file that runs npm install commands on docker build/start.

Having the ability to run commands would allow for the installation of ffmpeg or any other package that might be needed/wanted.
HA would need to wait until these are installed before starting.

Agree.

When I posted this I also thought about how other packages, like libcec, are not included and hoped this would spawn solution for these as well.

I am OK with either install all or provide mechanism for adding. I think this can be added using ENV variable in “docker run” command if the variable is defined in docker file.

I manage this with a start up script.

How did you do that? I am trying to use ffmpeg with homebrigde in home assistant, everytime I try to see the image from home app, it crashes with these errors:
error: spawn ffmpeg ENOENT
at _errnoException (util.js:1024:11)
at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (internal/child_process.js:190:19)
at onErrorNT (internal/child_process.js:372:16)

I figure I need to install ffmpeg.

How you install HA.

Docker and hass.io install ffmpeg automatically now but must enable it like

ffmpeg:

1 Like

It is enabled, but not working, it only crashes the homebridge when I start the home app on my iPhone.
I am using homebridge-camera-ffmpeg on my config plugins homebridge, and this code in platforms:
{
“platform”: “Camera-ffmpeg”,
“cameras”: [{
“name”: “Outsite”,
“videoConfig”: {
“source”: “-re -i http://192.168.1.168:8080/video”,
“stillImageSource”: “-i http://192.168.1.168:8080/video”,
“maxStreams”: 2,
“maxWidth”: 640,
“maxHeight”: 480,
“maxFPS”: 30
}
}]
}
This IP works just fine on my VLC.

All the erros I got:

[2018-5-10 11:08:42] [Camera-ffmpeg] Start streaming video from Outsite with 640x360@132kBit
events.js:183
throw er; // Unhandled ‘error’ event
^
Error: spawn ffmpeg ENOENT
at _errnoException (util.js:1024:11)
at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (internal/child_process.js:190:19)
at onErrorNT (internal/child_process.js:372:16)
at _combinedTickCallback (internal/process/next_tick.js:138:11)
at process._tickCallback (internal/process/next_tick.js:180:9)

Not a direct solution, but Im using this zoneminder docker and it works well. You can load volumes and use your ssls.

I don’t use home bridge but look like solution here

EDIT
Please remember that home bridge is separate server(or docker container) based on my understanding. So if not work properly you should troubleshooting home bridge server for this issue and check ffmpeg properly installed there, not HA I think

Hi @tmjpugh, a few days ago I installed hassbian on a Pi3B+, everything is working fine except ffmpeg. I have inserted the

ffmpeg:

line in my configuration.yaml site but it doesn’t seem to work. What can I do to make it work? Thank you!

Why you think ffmpeg not working?
What problem you have?

I have two yi cameras with yi hack 3 installed. When I had HA installed on my synology with docker I could see the cameras in my front-end. But not now with Hassbian, with the same configuration.yaml and no changes to the cameras. Moreover, I get this error on my log:

it my misinformation. hassbian not auto install ffmpeg
you must install it and add the correct path

Ok then, thanks, I’ll try to install it this afternoon.

Thanks @tmjpugh I simply installed it with:

sudo apt-get install ffmpeg

And then I stopped and restarted HA and I could see my Yi camera images. :sunglasses:

Is this possible in the mean time? I am missing a vlc requirement which I can install manually but this should be done trough an ENV and use with docker-compose variable