File Editor in Dcoker

Can someone point me at a github repo that adds the file editor add-on to a docker based HA install?

1 Like

HA Container (docker based install) does not support add-ons, only HA OS and HA supervised do.

Would this help?

1 Like

What works best for me is to just install Samba on the host machine that points to your docker files. Then you can just edit from there with your normal text editor on any machine.

2 Likes

See this:

How do you run HA Container without shell access to the host (and it‘s files)?

I use this one, if you like VSCode:

https://fleet.linuxserver.io/image?name=linuxserver/code-server

See this is where my knowledge falls apart… “points to your docker files”.
What does this mean exactly? Both the word “points” and “docker files” are ambiguous to me as a total noob…

2 Likes

If your config files for Home Assistant are located in /srv/docker/homeassistant, for example, then Google how to setup a Samba server and setup a share in the /srv/docker/homeassistant. I’d suggest reading up a little more on Docker, Docker Compose, Samba, etc., or see if Home Assistant OS makes more sense for you.

Thanks. I’ll keep digging

HA OS doesn’t work for me as the server is doing so many other things (Plex, VPN, CCTV, Cloud etc)

GitHub - danielperna84/hass-configurator: Configuration UI for Home Assistant I was looking for a similar thing and I just followed the instructions here