Find Rest API URL of Apple thread border routers (Apple TV, Homepods)

Last beta of the iOS app allows to set the Apple thread network as preferred one :clap:

Honestly, I was completely surprised too. I wasn’t even sure my HomePod mini was indeed used as a TBR, but I don’t have any other. I also unplugged my HomePod mini to check, and then the Thread devices stopped working. So, HA is definitely using it as a TBR, despite it being in a different Thread network. I don’t know how or why, and it’s NOT written anywhere. There is a complete lack of transparency there, but it does work… somehow. Magic! :joy:

But it still does not show HomePod mini as the preferred network. And I do not see any possibility here for the user to define the preferred network. It still indicates “home-assistant” as preferred network (although there is no TBR there), and my HomePod mini is still displayed under “Other Networks”.

Yet, somehow my devices work just fine, I can see them all listed under the Matter integration.
It’s all a mystery:

To set it as preferred network you need to use the beta iOS app

Oh, OK, where exactly in the app do you set it up? I can’t seem to find that option.
Although, I have the regular version of the iOS App.
What is the benefit of changing the preferred network? Does setting the HomePod mini as a the preferred network give you access to additional info or settings?

Thanks!

I think it is more about having a single, unified network with all your devices instead of having some fragmentation. But not really sure, because I don’t understand what happened in your case.

PS: aaaand now my AppleTV shows like a member of a new network and the preferred network is empty. Something wrong with the beta, perhaps?

I think we have a looong way to go before anything Matter exists the Beta phase… :joy:

That’s right, this method works well. But in my case, for example, I have a Thread motion sensor without Matter. And if I want to add this sensor to Home Assistant, I have to connect it first via Bluetooth and then “provision preferred Thread credentials”, which only works if I have a preferred Thread network, which I don’t have unless I can set my Apple Thread network as preferred :frowning:

Nice, with the latest update for the iOS app I’m now able to import the credentials and connecting a device to the Thread network works like charm :slight_smile:

Hello, I have just updated the app. When I want to import the data I get the error code: unknow type 74. Does anyone know what I can do?

You get this error when you try to import the Thread credentials, or when you try to provision a device? I guess your HA instance is also up to date?

Thanks for the quick reply. The message comes when I want to import the credentials. Yes, everything is completely up to date. I’ve already checked everything and restarted but unfortunately without success…

I think I can’t help you at this point. But I think more details are useful for others.
What kind of HA installation you use and the full log entry.

Edit:
You are not the only one, maybe there you will find a solution:

I’ve tried almost everything now. I reset my AppleTV, I reset the SkyConnect, etc. I just can’t get the Apple TV onto the preferred network. The problem is that certain devices connect to SkyConnect and certain devices connect to AppleTV, so I have two different thread networks.

Same issue here, seeing a lot of devices added, but nowhere to find the REST API (using dns-sd -B _meshcop._udp for it).

$ dns-sd -B _meshcop._udp
Browsing for _meshcop._udp
DATE: ---Thu 04 Jan 2024---
10:00:40.465  ...STARTING...
Timestamp     A/R    Flags  if Domain               Service Type         Instance Name
10:00:40.467  Add        3  15 local.               _meshcop._udp.       Apple BorderRouter #XXXX
10:00:40.467  Add        3  15 local.               _meshcop._udp.       eero-thread-default #2
10:00:40.467  Add        3  15 local.               _meshcop._udp.       eero_thread #XXXX
10:00:40.467  Add        3  15 local.               _meshcop._udp.       eero-thread-default #3
10:00:40.467  Add        3  15 local.               _meshcop._udp.       eero_thread #XXXX
10:00:40.467  Add        3  15 local.               _meshcop._udp.       eero-thread-default
10:00:40.467  Add        2  15 local.               _meshcop._udp.       Apple BorderRouter #XXXX

When opening DNS Discovery (‎Discovery - DNS-SD Browser on the Mac App Store) I get the below

How do you do that?
I can’t figure it out, I do see my eve (elgato) devices in home app (apple) but they don’t show up in HA

I still have the same problem myself. I can’t get the Apple Boarder Router to my preferred network. But I can integrate eve devices matter over thread into HA.

In my case and only for the Qingping Motion Sensor, I deleted it from the Home App and reseted the sensor. As the sensor is Thread/Bluetooth only (and not Matter) it’s getting Discovered via Bluetooth as a ‘HomeKit Device’ by Home Assistant. After successful configuration there is a button within the device settings.

After hitting the button the Thread status should switch from disabled to kind.

My other devices (3x Nanoleaf Essential bulb, 1x Eve Motion) are still connected to the Apple Home App and handover to Home Assistant via Matter. If the device is Matter compatible, there is a button in the device settings in the Home App(iOS only, not on MacOS).

“Turn on pairing mode”

As everything is working over Matter I didn’t tried again to connect the device directly to Home Assistant. Didn’t worked before, the devices were not discovered by Home Assistant no matter which method I tried.

The day before yesterday there was an update for Matter and yesterday for HA. Now I was able to connect my two Apple devices as a preferred network using the HA app in the thread integration. I was also able to combine Sky Connect with the two Apple devices into a network.

1 Like

What URL did you use exactly? I’m still getting an error trying to add my HomePod mini.