Fire Tablet recommendation

I have the latest Fire HD 8 and for some reason lovelace is crawling on it. Tried using Fully Kiosk, Chrome and even Silk browsers and all the same. Even reflashed to original and still slow. Other people on Discord say its running fine for them so i’m not sure what I did wrong.

1 Like

That’s strange… I’m sure you didn’t do anything wrong. If it loads up on your phone/computer then maybe it’s something with the android OS ?

I’m not sure, I never owned a android tablet yet.

But thanks for the heads up!

I’ll keep sniffing around :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::+1:t2:

I have an FireHD 8, 2 FireHD 7’s and a FireHD 6 all running HA. I use Fully on all of them and have had no problems running the old UI or Lovelace. On one of my HD 7’s I am running floorplan with an alarm clock setup that is next to my bed. On my HD 6 I have HADashboard running again with no issues.

The only problem I have encountered so far with Lovelace is the picture-element card is not laid out the same for the FireHD tablets as it shows on a regular computer monitor, meaning when I set up state-label card and try to set positioning such as top: 20% and left: 20% it’s in a different spot on the Fire tablets then on a computer monitor. I don’t know why but it’s easy enough to adjust for so I get around it by adjusting the percentages accordingly (I have tried transform: none but it doesn’t seem to work for the fire tablets).

I have been very happy with these tablets especially since I can get them off of woot for $15-$20 refurbished.

2 Likes

@photo64 I tried factory resetting and still is very slow. Not sure if its something in my settings that is causing it.

When you say very slow do you mean when you change from view to view or the reaction of flipping a switch from off to on or both? Not sure what would cause that or which settings might impact that but I can compare my settings to yours if you give me an idea of what to look at.

Can you get Fire screen to always stay ON?
I was planning to use this but lost interest when screen kept timing out after 30 min

@tmjpugh you can add google play store and download either fully kiosk or wallpanel.

Fully Kiosk now have a version tuned for FireTabs

@J_IO_B so you know if there are any limitations using the fireos version?

@Maaniac I’ve not noticed any yet, the creator claims to have ironed most of the issues caused by FireOS. Something you might also be interested is a post @bphillips921 made with a short how to on turning off the lock screen pest.

Not tried it myself yet but intend to.

1 Like

I’ve tested the 2015 and 2017 models of the Fire HD7, HD8, and HD10 using the Fire edition of Fully Kiosk Browser. Lovelace UI feels sluggish but not unusable. These are cheap tablets, so you can’t expect it to be super smooth. It works, but there are some problems loading custom modules in Lovelace.

• Custom modules for Google Calendar, Thermostat do not load.
  • Custom module for Animated Weather loads, though I had problems initially.
  • Floorplan (created using Picture Entity) icons may be misplaced due to screen differences

If you have ever used the custom Floorplan (not the Lovelace version), that actually worked really well with my HD8! I was impressed.
I recommend the Fire HD8 if you can get it for $50. The HD7 is too low resolution and slow. The Fire HD10 is also nice, but you can’t do the lock screen fix on those tablets, only the HD8. The HD10 is just as sluggish as the HD8 and the only benefit is you can fit more widgets on screen. I would rather buy two HD8s than one HD10.

The unfortunate thing about technology is that it advances so quickly, leaving old tech in the dust. I have an LG G Pad 7.0 running Android 5.0 that is just turning three years old, and that refuses to load Home Assistant using Fully Kiosk. I bet the same will happen with these Fire tablets.

1 Like

Tablets are a little flacky due to app support.
iPads could be exception if not for cost.

I may try a pi zero and touchscreen…I was already making case for wall mount and I think cost can be below $100 which is within the doable range for me.

What about a LG G PAD 8.3? Can he load fully kiosk and lovelace? Lg i see have knockon function, very nice for wall mount system… Is it true?

yes but android tablets are horrible for price you pay.

you can get refurb/used Nexus 7 from 2015 and that would be nice if just for thing on wall.
Honestly I am not thinking Google Home Hub may be good. place it on end table or counter works well. theyve been around $99 lately and over next year price will definately drop. this is especially nice if you use Google Assistant component since the Google Home app has a very nice interface (I assume you’d use a combination of Ghome, HA WebUI and voice to control if using Google Home HUb)

Hi thanks. No, i’m using alexa. I take a look for the nexus7. Thanks

In that case echo show has web browser and hue emulation allows you to use Alexa home control interface(kinda blah in comparison to Google’s)

I use Alexa throughout house but Google(on phone) for voice control (it honestly is much more accurate)

Echo show has camera also and will show ring doorbell video. If you like indoor cam this is nice

Echo show not available yet in Italy. I’ll prefer to use a tablet… If one day i want to remove wall mount i can reuse tablet for other things.

You can turn off sleep mode by entering developer mode. How to settings -> device options -> and click on the device serial number 7 times.

My issue after installing play store is that in both the browser and the home assistant app after a few minutes the screen stops updating and you have to manually refresh it.

Anyone get that working?

Personally I believe the browser works better than app(iOS or Android)

In the end I never used the tablet but if i did I planned to setup for use with webrowser