First Script - Device not in list for action

I am creating my first script that is to turn on my garage light when the garage door opens. Able to create a new script, set the condition of if door is opening, but when I go to add action/Device, my light does not show in the drop down list so I can choose it to turn on. I can see this light in my dashboard, and it functions properly.

Not all entities exist within a “Device”. Change to a Call Service action then use the light.turn_on action.

Thank you …that worked. Any education you can give me as to what the difference is between a device and an entity?

In HA a Device is a just grouping of one or more entities, usually limited to a single physical item. Devices are created by the integration that connects the entities to HA. Not all integrations create devices.

Concepts & Terminology: Devices & Entities

@Didgeridrew Thank you

Also while easy for beginners device automations have a major problem and you should avoid them.

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/what-happens-if-i-have-to-replace-a-device/454183

1 Like

In HA, in general, avoid devices as much as possible.
Devices seems like a half baked leftover from the start of HA.

Use entities instead whenever possible. This really is where the focus of HA is.

They were actually only introduced in about 2020 IIRC, as a method to simplify automation. And they do that but as this issue was never addressed they are not worth using.

Ok, but a device still feels like a half baked thing. :grinning: