Flashable UK smart plugs

I can also add that the Gosund plugs (UP111-4-UK) from Amazon are still flashable. Done last weekend using the Tuya-convert method with RPI zero w. fWhile we were on the subject, did anyone succesully flashed any smart LEDs with the Tuya-convert tool?

What sort of Smart LED ? I have just done a couple of BTF SP501E addressable LED controllers - but they’re a (very quick and easy - with good solder pads) solder and serial job as they run a non-tuya firmware.

Im actually looking for light bulb b22 but it’s not the place to talk about it :wink: :joy::joy:

The Gosund 4 pack is down to £28, which isn’t bad.

In case it helps, this is the page for the Tasmota configuration (for correct reporting of power etc, and getting the led to work). Go to Configure, Configure Other then paste in the string, make sure Activate is ticked and Save. Note that this page reports successful flashing on a pack purchased on 14 Jan this year.

I am half way through replacing all my old Sonoff Basics with these, as they seem more reliable (and safer!)

I bought a 2 pack of the gosund up111 plugs and got them yesterday. Tried to flash them via tuya convert but they keep coming up with an error:

Failed to connect to 10.42.42.42 port 80: Connection refused Could not fetch a complete backup

Anyone else had this and know a workaround?

I’ve occasionally come across issues like this. I never managed to get to the bottom of why it happened, but always managed to solve by trying different devices to do the flash

I have also read that you can try connecting to the plug with a different device and deleting backups, but haven’t done this myself

(See eg https://github.com/ct-Open-Source/tuya-convert/issues/613)

Yeah I am using a different laptop from what I’ve used before so maybe that’s it, I’ll give it a go with a different device. I had found the thread you linked but all it says is ‘turn it off and back on again and it worked’ unfortunately it didn’t for me! Thanks for the reply though

1 Like

A pair of Gosund-111, received today from Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0856T6TJC/ have been successfully flashed.
Not without issues though, for the 1st plug the 1st attempt ended in “Device did not appear with the intermediate firmware” . But after “Do you want to try flashing another device” I answered Y and the flashing went on. This seems to me a known case.
The second plug flashed without issues.

2 Likes

Yes, I had the same experience - I’ve bought 8 of them in the past week and flashed the majority - I had the same experience with half of the plugs I flashed.

Successfully flashed 4 gosund plugs from amazon uk today.
Also found that you can buy similar devices preflashed with tasmota on ali express:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001880012237.html

May be a good option when tuya-convert nolonger works!

Can you advise what version of Tasmota you flashed on the Gosund plugs, I’ve been trying with the latest 9.3.1.1 version but it fails to upgrade, 8.5.1 works though.

You are saying the upgrade 8.5.1->9.3.1 fails?

That is expected behaviour. You need to go to 9.1 first.
https://tasmota.github.io/docs/Upgrading/

1 Like

EDIT: The problems explained in this message are not a result of issues with the Gosund UP111 plugs. I have now successfully flashed them using a raspberry pi configured specifically for this purpose. I had originally used my linux system, and hand-installed all the dependencies (it isn’t a debian based system, so no apt). Although there were no errors during installation or during flashing (except the one below), there was clearly an issue somewhere in the hardware or tool chain which prevented successful flashing. My recommendation based on this: use a raspberry pi with a fresh installation, and let the tuya-convert software manage the dependencies etc.

This was the link on Amazon which I used:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07ZSDWQQ8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The order was placed on 11th March 2021.

Original message:
I bought a set of 4 gosund plugs from Amazon, but have failed to flash any of them.
It tried 10 times, then gave this:

SmartConfig complete.
Resending SmartConfig Packets
Timed out while waiting for the device to (re)connect
======================================================
Attempting to diagnose the issue...
Your device does not use an ESP82xx.
This means you cannot flash custom ESP firmware even over serial.
======================================================
Do you want to try flashing another device? [y/N]

Unfortunately I am quite new to this, so I can’t be absolutely sure I have the set up correct. I am using a D1 Mini to poll the wifi connection, and there are no error messages at any point in the process. As soon as the first connection effort tales place, the device stops the rapid flashing - I assume this is normal, when the connection is made.

So my conclusion based on the message above is that perhaps now the chip has been changed in these models and it doesn’t work, or for some reason my setup is not working.

Disappointing - I really want to get the energy consumption functions working. I have some Sonof S26 which I have also flashed with a physical connection - they are good for the smart socket function.

I am going to have another go at this later today, with a fresh install on a Raspberry Pi, just in case I have missed some subtle nuance with the setup on my (linux based) desktop computer.
The other thought I had - would any of you who have been successful be interested in having a go at flashing one of them? This would give me an opportunity to confirm if the issue is my setup, or the socket! If you are interested, message me!

I usually use a Pi, so my guess is that you’ll be ok when you try with it.

But if not I’d be happy to give one a try if you like. I also have a pile of spares I’ve already flashed, so can have a look if there are any external differences

I remember reading about the Teckin plugs switching their micro controller from the ESP8266 to something else and people had similar issues to you. It is possible that the same has happened to the Gosund UP111 but looking at other posts it seems that some people are successful in flashing these. I did have a look at the packing on mine to see if it states anything different to your web listing above but as with many of the Chinese spec’s they often omit much of the detail.

You should be able to return youre to Amazon if you are not happy, alternitively you could give the Local Tuya HACS Integration a try.

Hi Simon,

I went from the existing tuya firmware, to whatever version of tasmota was in the tuya convert git repo when i cloned it. I cloned the same day that I used it. It was 9.2.0. It definitely wasn’t 9.3.1 as i used the firmware upgrade option in tasmota web ui to get to 9.3.1

Update: confirmed that the version of tasmota included with tuya_convert was 9.2.0. - the tuya_convert shell said Tasmota v8.1.0.2 (wifman) was included in the repository. But by the time the tasmota gui opened, it was running 9.2.0 - so the tuya_convert shell is probably incorrect.

Paul,

Have you successfully flash any other devices?
I originally had a similar issue when flashing on my ubuntu 20.04 laptop.

I found there was an extra step when connecting my android phone to the wifi AP.
When you connect your phone, it loads a wifi logon screen that says something like “connected to vtrust”. On my phone, at this point, i’m not actually connected.

I had to click a menu in the top right corner and then choose something like “Continue to connect”. once i did this, the phone was correctly connected and i could restart the flashing process.

I was initially concerned that I had bricked the first wifi plug. It turned out that after the first flashing attempt, it had loaded the intermediate firmware onto the device.
At this stage there was also a vtrust recovery ssid that was available to connect to, that i didn’t need to use.

Hope this helps…

Hi wrightsonm,
That is a good point you make about the phone wifi. I did notice the phone was being a bit fussy because there was no internet connection, so maybe that was an issue. The second time I tried, I have set up a D1 Mini with the code designed to connect to the wifi signal and ensure no issues, but still no luck. I didn’t get a chance to try using a Pi instead today, and probably won’t tomorrow - I’ll feed back my findings in the next day or so when I do get a chance.

I am not giving up yet - I will see what happens with the absolute standard method on a Raspberry Pi, and also if I am not successful I will take up @PianSom’s offer to try flashing one. That will confirm if there is indeed a change to the chip in these devices.

1 Like