Force entity status check for switch light automation

I have a sonoff mini zigbee (ZBMini) switch built into home assistant via Philips Hue.

I want to be able to control the lights via this switch using an automation (without connecting the lamp directly to the sonoff mini).

The problem with this automation is the time it takes to check the status of the ZBMini switch, when I physically turn on/off the switch, it takes between 3 and 8 seconds for the automation to run, if I operate from the home assistant panel/lovelace, it is instantaneous.

Can I force the checkout time below one second?
This is my automation:

- id: '1623967924565'
  alias: Control with sonoff ZBMini
  description: ''
  trigger:
  - platform: device
    type: turned_off
    device_id: 40719d4f4faeba02934e58003a9d1972
    entity_id: light.on_off_light_1
    domain: light
  - platform: device
    type: turned_on
    device_id: 40719d4f4faeba02934e58003a9d1972
    entity_id: light.on_off_light_1
  condition: []
  action:
  - type: toggle
    device_id: 85c012fe225fc26d94f3b0b9643f97ef
    entity_id: light.hue_color_lamp_1
  mode: single

The Philips Hue integration is a “Local Push” IoT class which means as soon as the bridge notices a state change it is pushed to home assistant.

So either the Philips Hue integration is not pushing updates in a timely manner, or it is not receiving updates in a timely manner from the sonoff mini.

There’s nothing home assistant can do about it.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply. Your’re right, after performing several tests and integrating it into node-red, I have been able to verify that when it is physically activated, the hue bridge takes too long to show it on, I think that ZBMini is designed in this way since it is not relevant to send the status instanly, but nevertheless if I can control it instantaneously from hue, alexa, lovelace etc …

I have also verified that automation is much faster when I turn off/on the ZBMini from the hue app/alexa, but even so, sometimes it takes 2 seconds, this is too much to turn on a light and when a guest presses the switch they may think that it has not worked well and would press switch.

I wanted to use this so that the lights never lost power so I could turn them on directly to a predefined color/brightness. But I will forget this idea and connect the lights directly to the sonoff ZBMini.

UPDATE: I bought Conbee II to be able to control multi-brand zigbee devices using Conbee II and zigbee2mqtt.

I have been able to verify that Sonoff ZBMini does send its status instantly using Conbee II + zigbee2mqtt.
I have created an automation in home assistant and when changing the state of ZBMini, the lamp alternates its state turning on and off instantly without losing power at any time.

In this way I can create automations with different brightness and colors depending on the time of day, in addition to using motion sensors + switch at the same time without generating conflicts of loss of light for when I bring guests to my house.

It has been a bit difficult to install zigbee2mqtt in docker and the latest firmware in conbee II, but I highly recommend it