Friedrich Kuhl Wi-Fi (KWIFI) integration?

Just wanted to ask if anyone has tried to tackle the Friedrich Wi-fi connection with Home Assistant? They have about the worst app I have ever seen on iOS and no integrations whatsoever, BUT these Window A/C are the quietest around and pretty much own the market for large-capacity and long service-life. All the Kuhl models have the option to install the Wi-Fi module, so it could be a valuable integration.

1 Like

For those interested, I wrote an home-assistant integration for Friedrich air conditioners. I’ll work on making a pull request for it, but in the meantime, I published it as a gist.

Feel free to use/test it and report any issues on this thread or the gist itself. To use it, copy the friedrich.py file in /config/custom_components, edit your configuration.yaml as specified in the comments at the top of friedrich.py, and restart.

2 Likes

For anyone still looking for HA / Friedrich integration I’ve updated this gist to work as of July 2023 with latest HA version & new Friedrich API endpoints.

Just copy all the files into /config/custom_components and add the climate: setting in configuration.yaml as specified in the comment.

It’s working for my Wallmaster :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Is there any possibility of being able to pull the state of the AC?

@erosen14 were you ablet to control the visibility of the screen? i.e. can you automatically turn it off at night? i’ve had great success setting it up via local tuya but the one bit i cannot replicate is the “Display” button from the remote. Wondering if the cloud points you are using support that? Thanks.

I’ve been able to do it via the local tuya integration after a lot of trial and error and also having to fix the climate.py code. I can get the ambient temp, set temp, mode, fan speed, eco or not ,sleep or not. The one thing that’s missing is the display state (off or on).

1 Like

I don’t think the unit I have has a display on/off feature. It isn’t on the remote itself or the unit. It just turns itself off automatically.

Can you share your updated code? You mention changes to climate.py? Would love to see what you’ve been able to do.

I still haven’t been able to figure out how to programmatically get the device Ids associated with the account - curious if anyone has figured that out too.

you have to go through the entire tuya IOT developer cloud thing and then there are a few ways to use tuya python packages to get the local device key
at that point you don’t truly need the cloud account anymore
the fixes to the climate.py are too much to share via text, see the github PR on the repo
unfortunately, the owner seems to be away so there are a ton of PRs waiting to be reviewed/merged :frowning:

I see your PR. It seems that you have a different friedrich model which uses a tuya app. Unfortunately the wallmaster I have is a google firestore based app, not tuya. I don’t know why friedrich uses different platforms for their different smart a/c models.

i’m fairly certain the underlying hardware is still tuya… you can test it by trying to add it to the SmartLife app. I wasn’t sure if my friedirch was tuya based, tried adding it via Smart Life and it worked and that unlocked the ability to do fully local tuya-based control

Thanks for doing this! I recently bought 5 Kuhl’s and I was sad to see there was no native integration in HA.

I’ve installed the custom_component (into a /friedrich folder) and I setup the climate: entries as in the source comments. But I don’t see anything in my HA. No new entities, nothing in the logs.

Can you give me an idea of where I can to look to start debugging it?

EDIT: I should mention that I have Friedrich Kuhl AC’s, which seem to be running on the same platform as the Wallmasters. The Wifi setup instructions are shared for both model lines.