Friendly_name_template for Binary_sensors

I tend to use _template everywhere, whether I have a template in mind or not, just in case I end up wanting to use a template later. It doesn’t seem to hurt anything, so why not make templates the default everywhere?

That’s the crux of my argument.

yep, agree. +1 to that!

ditto, me too +1 :+1:

It is starting to bug me that we only have 15 votes for something that would help “everyone” whereas (looking at the list of feature requests) we have 21 votes for ‘Nokia Health Products’ (that would probably help … what ? … 21 people ???)

getting back to this.
Comparing the binary_sensor file and the sensor for the template sensor integration would suggest that adding the small bits for friendly_name_template is rather straightforward.

Id be very willing t create that PR, but before I do so, would request some confirmation that would be all required. I don’t have a working test setup/dev-environment and my latest PR’s have only been merged because of some serious assistance from the dev’s. Don’t want to bother them yet again with my incompetence…

please have a look if you would, to see if comparing these files would suffice.

Don’t be so hard on yourself. Unless someone does this for a living, setting up a development environment and then complying with the requirements of a submission and vetting process is quite foreign to the average home automation hobbyist. Don’t hesitate to ask for the developers’ help. It’s in their interest to get you up to speed so that you can be in a position to help others (and so on and so on).

22 now :wink:
I think it is an issue of visibility.
As with all ‘Feature Requests’.

I’m on here most days but if you miss (I think it is) 2 days in a row posts don’t appear in your list of new posts.

So I must have been on holiday when this was posted…
(I got sent here from Define variables for friendlyname)

1 Like

Ive added it to the architecture thread: https://github.com/home-assistant/architecture/issues/390
please chime in if you feel this would be a good idea.

1 Like

I added my support on github
Sorry if I ‘sort of’ went for a harmonisation across many platforms (it is a bit irritating that you can only do ‘x function’ under ‘that platform’ and then you have to try to remember which is which and why). So I then re-inforced the template binary sensor option.

no you are right of course, that s why I repeated that in the architecture discussion. Still why not begin with the TBS and maybe some development on that will follow suit.

well that was rather blunt, my suggestion for an architecture ‘discussion’ was closed without further ado… https://github.com/home-assistant/architecture/issues/390#issuecomment-637699183

I truly don’t get it why the dev’s sometimes want to keep the HA system so rigidly unattractive for a human and keep it so robotically digital. Especially when core already has comparable functionality available in other spots.

would need it as well.

I have a sensor “at least one window is open”. I would like to have its name set to “at least one window is open” when at least one window is open, and “no window is open” when all window is open. If it doable for a sensor, why not for a binary sensor?

though not using myself yet, because of lack of support in packages, you can do that now with the new template: integration in 2021.5