Frient Keypad (zigbee)

Any chance getting support for Frient keypad?

I’ve just ordered one, so keen to get this going too. Have you tried it via Zigbee2MQTT (Z2M) as opposed to ZHA? According to blakaddr.com the keypad is supported but ZHA isn’t listed. So that will be me first attempt. But ZHA would be great too and they appear to be back in stock after a fair wait.

Did it work? Planning on purchasing one too, does it work with ZHA?

Just received it yesterday.
Does it work?.. well partly. It is found with Z2M (keypad, battery and tamper functions). I can arm and disarm, but so far only with 4 digit codes and I can’t see a reason why it won’t work with 5+ digits (I’m NOT using Alarmo, just reading the MQTT data and using Node Red to action from there) as it doesn’t send the number data until an alarm button (disarm, arm all, arm day, arm night) is pressed so MQTT sees 5 and 6 digit codes which is promising but no matching yet. Work in progress I guess.
Also there’s no data feeding through from the RFID reader which is very disappointing. Although Frient don’t even mention RFID in their marketing. Develco the manufacturer of this keypad, the KEYZB110 has much more info Keypad - Secure access control with the wireless keypad and specify their RFID compatibility but I don’t know where they send the scanned RFID data.
So currently it’s more like keypads from Centralite 3400 or Xfinity XHK1 although they definitively tap out at 4 digit (only) codes which I find simplistic.
All these keypads are close but there isn’t a great keypad integration for Zigbee yet for HA, especially if you want it to control a door lock rather than an alarm like I do.
I’d love Switchbot to open their keypad and finger printer reader to HA!

Update: the keypad RFID DOES work with HA. Sorry…user error!

Technically ZHA or Z2M pass through the RFID data BUT you need to press an action button (Disarm, Arm Day, Arm Night etc…) after you scan the card in order to send the zigbee data. Same as entering a PIN code.
The default ZHA and Z2M integrations however don’t make it easy to use more than 4 digit codes as the RFID cards are always bigger than four digit hex.
I’m using Node Red and have an All Events listener for zha_event then filter per device id and then to a switch to determine a correct PIN/RFID tag and allow access and trigger an alert.
I’ve tried cheap generic 13.56Mhz ICode 2 RFID tags, MIFARE and MIFARE DESFIRE 4K EV1&EV2 cards all work so far.

Also Adonno has a WiFi (ESPHome) RFID reader kit which is excellent, I have 2, if that fits your needs. GitHub - adonno/tagreader: Simple to build/use NFC tag reader, specially created for Home Assistant

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Hi @augareth how did you make to let it work with HA ?
thanks

How I got it working is outlined above, but what issue are you having?
Have you added it to Zigbee HA (ZHA)or Zigbee 2 MQTT (Z2M)? What are you trying to achieve? Are you trying to control an alarm or door access or something else?

Hi @augareth, I connected the Frient Keypad via Z2M and the idea is to put it inside house next to the door, so when I back, simply passing the RFID tag I can disarm the alarm.
were you able to manage RFID right ?

Thanks

OK thanks @tirreni8a. Yes RFID works but you need to press the UNLOCK key after each swipe for the Frient Key pad to send the zigbee event to HA.
Also you need to add the cards to HA somehow. Either via Settings-Tags or via NodeRed. I chose the NodeRed path, but you can use saved Tags/Cards (RFID) via a standard automation to trigger events.
I have very limited knowledge of Alarmo, if that is what you are trying to arm/disarm? So you may want to start with adding an RFID card, and an automation to trigger an alert message to see that the process is working and then post about Alarmo or whatever when you know the RFID cards are working as you expect. I hope that helps!

thanks @augareth , I got you…
Could you please share some code/script/etc you did to manage RFID tags ?
That would be really helpful, thanks!!

You don’t really need to “manage” any tags. I’m using this automation and it’s working great. Just replace the codes variable with any codes or RFID/NFC tags you want to use:

alias: Security - Keypad
description: ""
trigger:
  - platform: mqtt
    topic: zigbee2mqtt/YOUR_DEVICE_NAME_HERE
condition: []
action:
  - variables:
      codes:
        - "123456"
        - "RFID_CODE_1"
        - "RFID_CODE_2"
  - choose:
      - conditions:
          - condition: template
            value_template: "{{ trigger.payload_json['action'] == 'disarm' }}"
            value_template: |-
              {% if trigger.payload_json['action_code'] in codes %}
              true
              {% else %}
              false
              {% endif %}
        sequence:
          - service: alarm_control_panel.alarm_disarm
            target:
              entity_id: alarm_control_panel.home_alarm
            data:
              code: "YOUR_HOME_ALARM_CODE_HERE"
      - conditions:
            value_template: "{{ trigger.payload_json['action'] == 'arm_all_zones' }}"
        sequence:
          - service: alarm_control_panel.alarm_arm_home
            metadata: {}
            data: {}
            target:
              entity_id: alarm_control_panel.home_alarm
mode: single
1 Like

thank you so much @jgkawell !!!
I’ll try it :wink:

1 Like

Hi,
I am trying to get your automation but it doesn’t. It is been triggerd by a scan of de RFID, I push the arm or disarm and then the blue trigger gets orange in the automation. Can figure out what is going wrong. Could you please help me a little?

Did you replace the codes list with your own RFID code values? You can find those by listening for the MQTT messages in developer options.

I recently replaced Nest Secure with this keypad and other HA devices through Alarmo. I was able to reuse the fob from Nest Secure by obtaining the RFID values as listed above and then with the use of neliss’s blueprint to allow any code to change the keypad state I entered in the RFID value as the passcode.