Frist DIY esphome device

Hello, while awaiting your valuable assistance, I’d like to present my situation. I’m trying to put together my first DIY esphome device. I want it to have a temperature and humidity sensor, a light sensor, a motion sensor, a magnetic door sensor, IR LEDs for device control, and an infrared receiver to learn codes. With very little knowledge of electronics and zero experience in schematic design software, and based on various diagrams I found in forums and websites, I’ve come up with this design. I hope you can provide me with your opinion. Thank you in advance.

edit 1: Change some pins

Welcome…

Looks fine - except maybe consider some of your pin choices, notably GPIO0 and GPIO2. If you don’t have to use them (like you are using an ESP01 for instance) then best to avoid.

Also, add one device at a time, just in case you get some power issues. Some of the regulators on these boards can be a bit cheap and nasty.

3 Likes

Best advice i can give is as said to start small and just add one sensor at a time and get that working before adding another. With all those sensors in one go as a first attempt could end up with issues some where and you will have no idea which sensor it is. Otherwise the whole process is normally pretty easy, but when you have it working then solder all the connections as any other method will just make the whole thing unreliable.

3 Likes

I would buy a good quality esp32 for this because you’ve got it doing a fair bit plus you don’t want hassles for your first project.

Get a QuinLED then relax.

2 Likes

What is the Vf (forward voltage) of diodes D1-3?

They may exceed 5V when connected in series like that.

The IR1 ground connection appears to be disconnected (bottom right).

I’d suggest you use a DHT22 instead of the DHT11. They are much better. Same connections and resistor. Which ever you go with keep it well away from the ESP to avoid heating, though keep the leads as short as you can.

Thank you very much for the guide and your suggestions, I updated some pins. For the prototype, I will use a base shield and a suitable power circuit for the final version.

Thank you very much for the advice. I will use a base shield and add sensors one by one, testing the code as I go.

Thank you for the advice, but it’s a bit late as I’ve already purchased the ESP32. However, I suspected that the voltage regulator might not be sufficient, so I plan to add an additional voltage regulator to my final PCB. I’m taking it step by step with the design.

I apologize, I don’t know how to do the calculation, but I will research it. I took the design from this webpage, where they only suggest changing the type of transistor. https://electronica.guru/questions/82417/circuito-transmisor-ir-de-alta-potencia-para-esp8266

Regarding the temperature and humidity sensor, I will consider making the change. Thank you

It’s generally only the “mini” esp32 form factor cheap clones which are frequently reported with regulator issues, so you’ll likely be ok.

I usually buy at least two of each component and esp’s when I buy (I mostly buy cheap on Ali Express). The second is for any hardware debugging and a spare for future projects.

I’ve had projects where switching from a cheaper board to a spare or a different one has resolved various issues, including noisey receiver/transmitter signals.

Look at the datasheet for the IR LEDs you are going to buy. It will list their Vf.