I have included the Fritz!box device tracker in my configuration:

device_tracker:
  - platform: fritz  
    new_device_defaults:
      track_new_devices: true
      hide_if_away: false
    interval_seconds: 30
    consider_home: 300     

It does find some devices, but only a few. And none of them are mobile devices, which was what I wanted. The devices that are found are: dsesktop pc’s, printer, audio amplifier, etc.

The Fritzbox is type 7340. Most of the mobile devices are connected through a different wifi AP which is connected to the fritzbox via WDS over ethernet. But some are on the Fritzbox wifi. All devices can be seen in the “Home Network” list of the Fritzbox. Is it because android devices use google dns instead of the ip of the fritzbox or the provider?

Well, I found out it has to do with the names. I gave all my known devices fancy names within Fritzbox. And some of these names are either not accepted or passed on. I’m not sure yet what the exact criteria are. It’s tedious work changing the config files again and again and restarting hass over and over.

Hi Hans, have you managed to fix this?
My Fritz tracker stopped working after the latest updates. I think I’ve found the issue, I’ll post the solution here later when I’ve got it!

No, I haven’t made any progress. My main Fritzbox is a 7340 and I use an older 7170 as Wifi access point. More devices connect through the AP than through the main router.

Hello, I am currently also intensively dealing with device tracking and I also read a lot about it. Tracking via WiFi is no longer as accurate as it used to be. Android devices, and I think Apple devices too, go into sleep mode to save energy when they are not actively used for a while. Here they are then recognized by the Fritzbox as “not active” or “unused”. I am thinking about whether I can solve my problem with MQTT, because some Android devices can always be “pinged” and others not. In the Android settings I could not see any difference in the individual devices to solve the problem.

Thank you @VolkerKa, that makes sense. I haven’t come across that issue yet.
At the moment I’ve got the same error as @hneel and I can’t seem to figure out where the error is coming from.
I’ve tried manually updating the fritzconnection integration, but no luck yet.
This worked for me for about a week: Fritz Device Tracker broke after upgrading to 0.105.x
But that went bust as well.

I’m going through my log at the moment. and i’m getting other issues as well from the Fritz platform:

homeassistant.exceptions.HomeAssistantError: Entity id already exists: switch.fritzbox_portforward_hacs. Platform fritzbox_tools does not generate unique IDs
2020-02-24 12:55:05 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Error doing job: Task exception was never retrieved

I’ll do some more digging when I’ve got more time.

Hi, device tracking keeps bothering me … I just had a very crazy thought … would it be possible to enable device tracking with an audio signal? I believe that Google uses this to connect their own hardware with each other?!?. Perhaps it would be possible for the individual devices to emit signals in a frequency range that is not perceptible to the human ear. Unfortunately I have no idea what that means, energy consumption, stability … but maybe someone here in the forum has an idea about it and can provide more information …

wouldn’t it be worth a new thread to reach as many people as possible through their creativity, skills and curiosity?