FYI: a developer has begun porting ESPHome to a nRF5 platform for nRF52840

FYI; tomaszduda23, an independent developer is working on developing an initial port of ESPHome for nRF5 platform on Zephyr RTOS for nRF52840 (nRF52 SoC series SoC from Nordic Semiconductor):

Summery for those unfamiliar with Nordic Semiconductor and their lines of microcontroller chips; Nordic Semi is a 40+ year-old company that has been making their ARM-based nRF5 family of ultra-low-power wireless MCU SoCs (nRF51, nRF52, and nRF53 series) since 2012 and those have become very popular among developers/manufacturers that make battery-powered devices, especially those requiring ultra low-power wireless communication on the 2.4 GHz ISM bands, like Bluetooth, Thread, and Zigbee. Nordic Semi also makes Wi-Fi SoCs but then we are no longer talking about ultra low-power devices.

Note that I have nothing to do with this project myself, I just stumbled in this project and wanted to spread this news because I got exited by the potential of this could not only bring more developers and thinkers that feel more familiar with the Nordic Semiconductor nRF5 platform to start using and contributing to ESPHome, so it should hopefully help the community grow even faster, but it could possibly make it easier to make running ultra low-power battery-operated devices running ESPHome, as well as add another type of radio MCU hardware for ESPHome that can support Thread/OpenThread and Zigbee.

PS: Off-topic That development effort might be indirectly interesting to another sub-project to follow for those who (like myself) have been asking for native Thread/OpenThread and Zigbee wireless support in ESPHome (and perhaps posted in the feature request tracker) since Nordic Semiconductor nRF52840 do not support WiFi but does support Thread and Zigbee protocols, (similar to the ESP32-H2), with nRF52840 and the newer nRF5340 being ideal for battery-powered devices:

4 Likes

Looks like tomaszduda23’s work on basic support for nRF52840 for ESPHome progressing very nicely and just yesterday he marked his pull request as ready for review and testing by devs/testers:

Btwy, also wanted to mention missed that @NateLust previous begun porting ESPHome to nRF52840:

Looks like @NateLust has not updated his forked esphome repository the last year and seems like the “zephyr-dev” branch there is latest:

There do not seem to be any new posts from @NateLust on this since he posted this zephyrESPHomeGuide in little over 1-year ago:

PS: Noted that @NateLust did also make more progress on Thread/OpenThread for ESPHome than any other have I seen so far(?).

1 Like

This would be really amazing as it might allow for projects like b-parasite to using esphome instead of the custom firmware that is very difficult for new users to build and install!

I might even try to revive my boards again!