GarHAge - a Home-Automation-friendly ESP8266-based MQTT Garage Door Controller

Really like this project! For some reason I’m not able to use door 2 in this setup. Both the relay channel and reed switch is not publishing to mqtt, but everything works ok on door 1. The only thing I have edited in the config file is wifi and mqtt server, I use the same input ports. I know that both channels on the relay work with another simple sketch that loops on/off.

I have tried different nodemcu’s and relays. Any idea what i’m doing wrong here? Thanks in advance

Take a look at the config.h file you used. There is a flag to enable door 2 that should be set to true.

#define DOOR2_ENABLED true

I echo what @dap35 said - if all you’ve changed in config.h is the wifi and mqtt parameters, then you missed setting the door 2 enabled flag to true :slight_smile:

Oh, that’s embarrassing. Thanks guys! Really appreciate your help.

Have a great weekend.

Is there any possibility to enable the STOP function in this GarHAge? i would like to use it for a suncreen and allow the use of the STOP button

Stop was enabled at one point in a very early release… but the actual function to stop various door openers seemed to vary a lot between openers so I removed it. Can you give me some details on the means of stopping your sunscreen?

thanks for the quick reply.
i don’t know the code exactly, but my sunscreen(roller shutter) just uses AC power for Up and Down and at button pressed the power is on for X seconds to power the screen untill down and reversed the power is also on for X seconds. It would be great to use the STOP button to just stop the power, it would stop the screen.

Hmm this might be a bit of a challenge for GarHAge - it works to open or close by just momentarily closing a relay contact. If you need to keep a button depressed, I’m not sure you are going to be able to mimic that with GarHAge…

Cool project, would be interested in building this – Would using my existing z-wave tilt sensors be an option?

Yes, you should be able to use the Template Cover platform: https://home-assistant.io/components/cover.template/. You could use GarHAge to control open/close only (set in optimistic mode) and rely on the Zwave tilt sensor for the door state (open/closed).

1 Like

Got it all put together and it’s working perfectly. Thank you!

Could you please suggest which hardware to buy?

I guess thus it what I need to get? I checked your hardware list, excellent!

Any tutorial (YouTube video perhaps) for the hardware side, or just some pictures on how to connect all hardware?

Just a quick update to my garage controller.

now Android Auto supports full Google Assistant. I have linked IFTTT to google assistant on my phone ,

So while driving in the car, towards the garage, with Android auto hooked up … i say
“ok google " " open garage”
Via IFTTT a webhook is called using the API service for MQTT exposed by HA to publish a simple Json call …
{“topic”:“devices/Garage/switch/on/set”,“payload”:“Yes”}

Garage Door opens.

Also the same for Close Garage, when i’m driving down the street away from the house

Note:
Web hook url : http://YOUR.INTERNAL.IPADRESS:8123/api/services/mqtt/publish?api_password=XX

3 Likes

Was curious of anyone had a design for a 3D printable enclosure for the NodeMCU and relay?

@walt Take a look at Aderusha’s Github

Quick question
I had a Pi/relay running my garage door. Had a simple webpage on it with one single button on the page. Press the button and the relay fired opening the door. Long story short I wanted to use the PI for something else and wanted to try the 8266 version. I switched to the ESP8266 and same relay with reed switch. The reed switch is reading fine but now my manual garage door button doesn’t work and the car remotes no longer work. Opening the door from HA is the only thing that works. When I disconnect the relay from power (removing the VCC pin jumper), car remotes and physical button works again.

I loaded the ESP just like the GitHub page showed. I’ve had the relay for quite some time and can’t remember if it’s an open or a closed. Would programming it as open and the relay being closed cause this or am I missing something?

So sorry I said open/close when what I meant was High/Low

Been up and running for a few weeks now. Love having the doors connected to both Alexa and Siri through Home Assistant as well.

I have had about once a week the status of the cover change to “Unavailable” – I haven’t don’t any troubleshooting yet, but I did see that I can still ping the nodemcu when it’s in this state.

Any advice on what to start checking? Is it the LWT MQTT message being published that marks it as “unavailable”? And would it seem that my board is never reconnecting to my MQTT broker?

@walt - correct that it’s the LWT message that marks it unavailable; when GarHAge comes back online (reconnects to the broker) it publishes a message that should set it available again. Couple of things could be happening - next time it happens, use an mqtt client to subscribe to the topic “GarHAge/availability” on your broker. If the retained message on that topic is “online” then the problem is in HA. If the retained message on the topic is “offline” then at least the HA side is ok and there’s something about either your ESP or my code that’s causing either the ESP not to reconnect or not properly publish the online message on reconnect.

Are you on the latest HA version?