GarHAge - a Home-Automation-friendly ESP8266-based MQTT Garage Door Controller

Can you show me what your cover: entries for those garage doors look like? And also you may want to check the entities menu (at the bottom of the left menu, an icon that looks like < >) to see what your entities are actually named - now I’m thinking that they are actually not named what you think they are (and I think the “-“ in the middle of the name might be throwing something off?).

You nailed it! When I selected the cover.garage_door_ entry in the entities section, I found an extra underscore where the ‘-’ was… so ‘cover.garage_door__prius’ is the right answer

Thanks!

Unfortunately I’m stuck with one of those dreadful Chamberlain MyQ systems. Even the button on the wall is an encoded signal. I couldn’t believe it. I tried shorting the wires to no avail. Why would they do something like that? Money is the only thing I can think of. I have to use their brand accessories with their lift motor…

That really sucks! I haven’t taken a close look at the instruction manual for one of those systems but it looks like the wires from the wall switch terminate at two screw terminals on the opener - are you sure that shorting those terminals doesn’t manually operate the door? Would seem crazy if it didn’t… Not that I don’t believe you.

Nice ! I will give it a try shortly.

You might be able to do a mod to the existing wall switch. I don’t have the MyQ, but I found the connection points from the push button. After verifying that shorting those two points opened the door, I soldered leads that I tied into the GarHage relays.

I believe that if I tap into the solder pads for the actual push button itself, inside of the whole apparatus, shorting those two points with a relay will work. At the time, I just bought the MyQ service device and wanted to call it done, but their service is unreliable at best. It looks like time for an ultrasonic sensor, rf24, relay, and Arduino Nano…

Or Reed Switch, NodeMCU, Relay Module, and GarHAge :wink: .

Really like this project! For some reason I’m not able to use door 2 in this setup. Both the relay channel and reed switch is not publishing to mqtt, but everything works ok on door 1. The only thing I have edited in the config file is wifi and mqtt server, I use the same input ports. I know that both channels on the relay work with another simple sketch that loops on/off.

I have tried different nodemcu’s and relays. Any idea what i’m doing wrong here? Thanks in advance

Take a look at the config.h file you used. There is a flag to enable door 2 that should be set to true.

#define DOOR2_ENABLED true

I echo what @dap35 said - if all you’ve changed in config.h is the wifi and mqtt parameters, then you missed setting the door 2 enabled flag to true :slight_smile:

Oh, that’s embarrassing. Thanks guys! Really appreciate your help.

Have a great weekend.

Is there any possibility to enable the STOP function in this GarHAge? i would like to use it for a suncreen and allow the use of the STOP button

Stop was enabled at one point in a very early release… but the actual function to stop various door openers seemed to vary a lot between openers so I removed it. Can you give me some details on the means of stopping your sunscreen?

thanks for the quick reply.
i don’t know the code exactly, but my sunscreen(roller shutter) just uses AC power for Up and Down and at button pressed the power is on for X seconds to power the screen untill down and reversed the power is also on for X seconds. It would be great to use the STOP button to just stop the power, it would stop the screen.

Hmm this might be a bit of a challenge for GarHAge - it works to open or close by just momentarily closing a relay contact. If you need to keep a button depressed, I’m not sure you are going to be able to mimic that with GarHAge…

Cool project, would be interested in building this – Would using my existing z-wave tilt sensors be an option?

Yes, you should be able to use the Template Cover platform: https://home-assistant.io/components/cover.template/. You could use GarHAge to control open/close only (set in optimistic mode) and rely on the Zwave tilt sensor for the door state (open/closed).

1 Like

Got it all put together and it’s working perfectly. Thank you!

Could you please suggest which hardware to buy?