Geo Home Smart Meter integration

I have copied and pasted the folder and restarted HA twice, but I can’t find any trace of it in the HA interface. where am I supposed to look and how do I log into the GEO account etc?

ok I have found where to add it, I have signed in with my GEO app user/password and I get this

2022-08-19 19:08:09.638 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.loader] Unexpected exception importing platform custom_components.geo_home.sensor

2022-08-19 19:08:09.644 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Unable to prepare setup for platform geo_home.sensor: Platform not found (Exception importing custom_components.geo_home.sensor).

Saving Sensor.Py as a UTF-8 document cured these errors

I am at this stage - what did you use as your username? I only signed in on the app with my email, but the email does not appear to work.

For what its worth to people looking to do the same thing as this, I have contacted the geo home people to ask for documentation of their API to try and fix this issue for good and hopefully fix the issues with this integration as it would be super handy to get it working!

Also - looking at the forks of this repo, some have been updated to fix some of the issues that I have been having! https://github.com/balneaves/home-assistant-components

will report back if it fixes it

EDIT: This repo seems to work a lot better - but I am still having the “what the heck is my username” issue

I managed to get the data from Geo Together’s API into HA using REST sensors as described here.

An integration would be more user friendly (especially if installable from HACS) to set up, but the sensor approach has been working reliably for a few months. Maybe this can help development?

May I ask what you are using for your username? This is still the biggest question mark for me - I can see the API stuff would work if I can figure that out.

The email from GeoTogether was not crazy useful as the app, and assumingly the API, is made by a 3rd party company

It’s my email address.

Note that the system uses an access token which changes periodically. The access token needs to be retrieved using the username and password in one of the rest calls, and is then used in the subsequent rest calls that get the data.

Okay - so thanks to you, this post about the rest requests and this post about why my post requests weren’t working for me I have figured a few things out. Firstly - rest requests dont like special characters (which my email and password both have). This can be fixed in a few ways which I tried with this home assistant integration.

As these werent working, I edited the integration to print out my user and password if it fails to authorise with the API - aaaand it turns out it was using admin and password, the defaults for the integration. After hard coding my actual user and pass, i am starting to get somewhere I think - but will need a few days to figure out why exactly things arent running as smooth as possible.

Hopefully will fork and upload to git (and submit to HACS) if I get it working fully.

1 Like

I have managed to get good data from it - now just figureing out why it is not updating the home assistant sensors

Would be great to see how you managed to get the identity. I’m struggling with the username! Here is what i’ve used and the error given. (I’ve edited the email address and password, but they are based on the same principle)

C:\Windows\System32> curl -X POST -H “Content-Type: application/json” -d ‘{“identity”: “[email protected]”, “password”: “!Ttesting16”}’ https://api.geotogether.com/usersservice/v2/login
curl: (6) Could not resolve host: gmail.com,
curl: (3) URL using bad/illegal format or missing URL
curl: (3) unmatched close brace/bracket in URL position 14:
!Ttesting16}’

Ok, I installed this version https://github.com/balneaves/home-assistant-components
and managed to log in with my email address and password. All seems to be working fine, however struggling to work out what the sensor.electricity and sensor.gas are based on.
elec
Is this some kind of lifetime figure since I started using the Trio? Even looking at the actual app on the phone I can seem to understand where these figures have come from.

1 Like

all working once I replaced the 3 £s with "GBP"s. I could look into it further and see why the file doesn’t have correct utf-8 encoding but this works right now

1 Like

sorry I didn’t get a notification of your reply

I used the credentials that I sign into the GeoHome android app with. - the GeoHome account associated with the Smart Display. It’s my email address & a password

I have this too. With EDF, had smart meters installed a couple of months ago. Gas does not connect to the electricity meter so not on the IHD, but I assume that isn’t the cause. Bought the WiFi module separately and the Trio is connected to local WiFi fine. I’ve checked firewall is allowing the Trio to communicate to the outside world (it is). At a bit of a loss to get it ro connect (needed for the security code required to sign up to geohome).

Hi All. What is the data period from the geohome API?
Are you getting 10sec data or 30 mins data (or something else)?
Not sure which of these options to with with:

• Grab a £20 wifi adaptor for my geo trio 2 IHD (just installed by EDF today) and use geohome component
  • Use the glow/bright/hildebrand DCC API (free) for 30 mins data (with last 30 mins per day getting lost, according to the hacs component authort)
  • or go with a hildebrand IHD+CAD (£70) which spits out mqtt on 10 sec interval (not sure if there is a hacs component for this anymore either…)

thanks for inputs :slight_smile:

Had a look in the code for geohome custom component in github and I can see:
update_interval=timedelta(seconds=120),

So looks like the data from geohome is updating at max every 2 mins.

I had the same issue and contacted Geo support in the end.
You need to email [email protected], explain that you bought WIFI module separately and send them a picture of the device info (under Setting in Trio), they need to allow your Trio to connect to their Cloud.

1 Like

Hi everone who has been having issues. Sorry - I was not getting any notifications about the posts here so was oblivious to it all. I’ll take a look through the issues list and see what I can do.

Martin

If you are getting an error while trying to get your username, make sure you are running the code in the HA terminal, rather than your Windows command prompt.
Also useful to remember shift + highlight to copy from the HA terminal.