Getting started with ESPHome and Adafruit ESP32-S2 Feather

It seems like this shouldn’t be difficult and various posts indicate that people have been successful so I must be missing something.

I have HA installed on a Raspberry PI 4 with 8GB and am have both Windows 10 and Windows 11 systems to which the “Feather” is attached by a USB cable. I can see the CIRCUITPY drive.

I think I installed the recommended CH341 and CP210x drivers. The CP210x driver just seems to unzip some silabser.sys, silabser.inf files but it isn’t clear what to do with them.

Then I did the following through HA:

• Started ESPHome in HA
  • Created feather1.yaml with WiFi connection information
  • Clicked on “New Device”
  • “download project”
  • downloaded feather2yaml.bin
  • from web.esphome.io/?dashboard
  • Connect to CircuitPython CDC Control (COM7) paired
  • Upper-right of ESP Device window says “Connected”
  • Clicked Prepare for first use
  • Waiting to connect cycling icon
  • Message “Failed to initialize. Try resetting your device or holding the BOOT button while selecting your port.”

Does the “Feather” need to be in a different mode? When I press the Reset button, the CIRCUITPYTHON drive is replace with FTHRS2BOOT and the COM port disappears.

I’ve tried this with different “Feathers” on my Windows 10 and 11 systems but have the same issue.

I was hoping ESPHome could replace custom CircuitPython code with MQTT to communicate with HA.

1 Like

Hi, I had some success with this Feather. I just posted a recipe here: Recipe: ESPHome + Adafruit Feather ESP32-S2 + ThinkInk E-paper display + Battery monitor

The workaround I used when I encountered the Failed to initialize error, was to use Adafruit ESPTool to manually flash the ESPHome firmware.