GivEnergy Solar Inverter

My consumption_today looks like this:

which if its house consumption looks very weird. The givenergy dashboard data for yesterdays consumption is 18.6kWh, believable, whereas this history gives 4.3kWh - maybe its a measurement of something else, not house consumption.
I have computed my own consumption_today from PV, smart meter import/export, battery charge/discharge and get:

which looks good to me, without doing a thorough test.

That’s quite a lot worse than mine, which only ever wobbles by +/-0.1kWh. Very odd. I don’t think anyone else has reported decreases that large. Kinda feels like a CT or similar power sensor incorrectly connected. You’ll have to let us know if you ever work out the cause.

It sure if this is the same thing, but in GivTCP the “Load” energy (which I think is the same thing as “consumption) is calculated differently for Hybrid and AC invertors…
Could that be the difference?

I was also wondering if it was a Hybrid v AC inverter difference. I have an AC inverter. For me the inverter_output_today is almost identical to the battery_discharge_today (the 8-10% difference reflecting the efficiency I guess) - so this looks correct. It seems that consumption is defined in this integration as (inverter_output + grid_import - grid_export). For my AC system this takes no account of PV generation - since it doesn’t go via the GE inverter and become a component of inverter_output. Currently my consumption_today is -3.3kWh obviously wrong.
I can use a template sensor to get a meaningful consumption which seems right:

- name: tmp2
    state: >-
      {{ (states('sensor.inverter_output_today') | float) - (states('sensor.grid_export_today') | float)  + 
      (states('sensor.grid_import_today') | float ) + (states('sensor.pv_energy_today') | float) }}
    unit_of_measurement: kWh
    state_class: measurement 

I am happy doing this; but its good to understand the multitude of entities and how things are calculated.

Thank you for doing and releasing this.

Do we have the ability to disable “eco” mode or simply just enable eco??

Thanks

Does anyone have a working timed discharge automation that they wouldn’t mind sharing? I had a play yesterday and could change the mode to ‘timed discharge’, but it didn’t actually seem to be exporting (although this works from the givenergy app). Probably something simple I missed.

Sorry - I’m being thick here, have this set up and it works great (can see all the values under Integrations > Devices under GivTCP).

However, I can’t actually put them into the Energy Management part of Home Assistant - it doesn’t appear to recognise the sensors when I type in their names?

Know I’m being daft, but any pointers welcome!

I can see some of the daily sensors, but none of the useful ones - ie realtime such as:
sensor.givtcp_sd2224g296_solar_to_house

Hello, Total noob so please excuse my dumbness!
I have just setup HA on a raspberry pi and when I go to integrations using the web portal and type in givtcp nothing comes up?
do I need to do this on the Pi itself?
once again sorry for what appears to be a stupid question!

Hi Mike
have you installed HACS? if not, the instructions can be found here

PS HACS is a collection of community written custom integrations - here is a video explaining the install Install HACS 2022 (Home Assistant How To) - YouTube

WOW THIS IS AWSOME!

Video for installing hacs was brill and it was then easy to get the givenergy piece installed. Popped the IP of my inverter in and I’m now monitoring my battery percentage!

1 Like

Well spotted - I’ve published an update for the consumption sensors that should fix this for AC inverters.

Fair point - I see it’s possible to disable eco mode via the portal, however I’ve never tried it and actually not 100% sure what it does on its own. I’ll have to investigate further at some point.

I have this working quite reliably. I use it to discharge in the most profitable evening periods based on battery state, weather forecast, etc. It should be as simple as:

1 Like

Thanks for that. i am away currently, but will update and report back in due course.

I’m currently using the call service in an evening for setting givenergy_local.enable_timed_charge mainly to update the charge_target attribute based on the solar forecast for the following day. Is there an entity or a call service I can use to get the current setting from the inverter?

This would be really helpful to see at a glance what the current inverter setting is and also to use in an automation to confirm the setting has been updated on the inverter.

hello, apologies if this is stupid newbie mistake, but I have just tried installing this… I first installed HACS, which installed version 1.27.2… when I try and add the GitHub repository for giv energy it says its not a valid add-on repository. Do you know if anything has changed in HACS, or have I made an install error. Thanks

Finally installed latest version - the consumption data looks good to me, with the update for AC inverter. I note Hass logs that consumption “has state class total_increasing, but its state is not strictly increasing”. These is a limitation of the GE data, I believe. Many thanks for this.

Still using and loving this @cdpuk, so many thanks for the awesome work on it.

I’m maybe overlooking something simple, but is there a way to set the battery to charge or discharge at full whack without using timed charge/discharge? My use case is using HA to monitor my incoming and outgoing flexible electricity rates, and charging/discharging based on these, similar to what I do with my car charge integration…

The force charge/discharge options like you see in the GivEnergy mobile app are effectively special cases of timed charge/discharge, where the time range is 00:00 - 23:59.

I guess the app is designed for a more simplistic use case, where the owner doesn’t know or care about time slots. If you do care about time slots, it’s worth knowing that use of the force charge/dischage button in the app will clobber any time slots you have configured, and won’t restore them when you return to normal mode later.

Basically, the options proivided by the integration map directly on to what the inverter is capable of, so forces you to think about time slots. However if you just want to have the same effect as the mobile app, set the range to 00:00 - 23:59.

Hope that makes sense :slight_smile:

1 Like

Makes sense. I saw something like those times in the app and didn’t put it together with them badly implementing the charge and discharge buttons.

So that solves my charge and discharge (I’ll set time from 0 to 23:59). Tomorrow I’ll have a play and work out how to cancel it when the rates aren’t in my favour :sunglasses:

Many thanks.

Would you mind sharing more info on how you get this working?

Say agile outgoing. How do you get those figures into home assistant and what yaml for the automation.