Going to next level of Aquarium Automation...who's with me?

Hi Sadoo,

Okay, unfortunately, I don’t use Hass.IO here & am a little unfamiliar with the current build & how it functions in practice. But if I recall correctly, I think Home Assistant is running in a hypervisor docker container that doesn’t have access to the underlying OS’s file system, which is where your scripts are probably running for the API functionality.

If I am correct, and that’s the case, you probably have at least one, if not two options.

1.) move the bash scripts from the Host OS outside of the hypervisor, into the hypervisor layer where Home Assistant runs within. It appears that this might give you a starting point on how to do this.

https://developers.home-assistant.io/docs/en/hassio_debugging.html

2.) alternatively, break out of the hypervisor level and access the results of the scripts on the Host OS layer. However, this seems like a much less secure approach. If someone compromises your HA environment, there is some risk they can break out of the hypervisor using the same path you created for the API scripts and you lose any security benefit of the hypervisor layer. If that’s the path you have to go, I might suggest just backing up and follow the DIY instructions on how to roll your own Home Assistant using ‘venv’ virtualised layer (this is how my RPI’s are built).

But if you still want to go with #2 - this seems the way to do that:

There may be more helpful URLs on how to deal with this. Try searching with Google or DuckDuckGo the keywords “Hass.IO shell command”.

It’s on my list of things to do: Break down and install Hass.IO and investigate it again for my own use, but I won’t have time to do that before March unfortunately.

^^^^^^ That is freakin’ awesome & put a HUGE smile on my face!!! Thanks for sharing it. :smiley:

Thank you so much, it’s a good starting noing for me :),. i will try to work on it this weekend, but if it didn’t work, then i will go with node red (rest Api approach) if i knew how to do it, i will watch some videos and see how it will goes and will report back to you, most of folks suggested to go with Node red when it comes to scrape API calls, but am still not sure how much reliable this approach will be, will try first to make node red get the data and save it on a file to be able to report on the historical data instead of the seneye web application, and then publish an MQTT msg to be able to integrate it with Blynk application, since it’s not blocked on my work network :blush:,
but again many thanks for your suggestions, you are the best! :blush:

you’re welcome, will share my small aquarium (sensor/controller) project when it’s done integrating and putting all the piecies together, today am working on the water detection sensor, and will see how it will goes :slight_smile:

Hi,
i have a very wonderful news, i was able to get the Seneye data via node red, no need for scripts or other shells, just node red, but the device have to be connected to a computer, so it’s not a stand alone solution, also i have integrate all my sensors to Blynk application and it looks good, so i will install the application to my family and then they can also see all the sensors,
what i have done so far:
seneye readings.
diy aquarium monitor that includes:

1. room temp
  2. waterproof temp for the aqurium,
  3. water level via ultrasonic
  4. 2 water leak detectors: controller as analog to digital converter and then done the propes my self with a cooper tape, will give later an image how i have done it.
  5. puzzer if any value went down or up
  6. led controller, it lights up if any issue with the values i already defined
  7. 6 electrickal pulbs to monitor all the filters and the heater and the lights
    when i have more time next week i will give a full picture about what i have done,
    it’s not perfect and not the best solution, but am totally new to this world and i’ve been learning for only a month now how all fits together and how it can be done :slight_smile: so am pretty proud of myself to be honest that i came up with this,
    it’s not the cheapest solution and not the perfect one, but it fits my needs,
    this is a sneak peak on the Blynk app page:

if anyone have any question i will be happy to reply :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Update on the inputs for the manually performed Water Tests. I’m honestly really digging this instead of using the AquaCalculator App on my phone. And today I made it do something I don’t think is in the AquaCalc app - automatically compute and track the Redfield Ratio.

If you don’t know what the Redfield Ratio is, it’s the Ratio of Carbon to NO3 to PO4 which in the oceans is at 106:16:1. In my opinion and experience, chasing the Redfield Ratio is far more beneficial than trying to chase Ultra Low Phosphates and Low Nitrates arbitrarily. if you’ve ever seen someone’s extremely beautiful coral aquarium but heard they were running Nitrates at 30-50ppm with no ill effects… that’s probably because they were hitting the Redfield Ratio pretty spot on. And I’ve experienced this myself over the decades - Explosive coral growth despite the fact that Phosphates and Nitrates were well above what they should be (and certainly not checkable with my Hanna Phosphorous ULR meter).

And while I don’t have a carbon test kit, I can at least track the ratio of NO3 to Phosphate, and now that’s tracked by Home Assistant too.

You might have to click these images to see the full interface. :slight_smile:

Screen Shot 2020-03-01 at 17.25.39

Here’s the code to set this up for the Redfield Ratio. Note: there is no input value to be made for the Redfield Ratio, because that’s computed by the sensor definition based off of NO3 and PO4 values measured. (and my Phosphate value is computed by another sensor to convert between ‘ppb’ to ‘ppm’. If you don’t use a ULR Phosphate test that measures parts per billion, you probably can just use the input_number for phosphate, and don’t have to convert this.) But there is an input_range to create the Max, Min and Target value graphs.

Also note: If you use Lovelace, you’ll have to update this code to work under that. I’ll update my post when I port this over to Lovelace - something I am still working on for my whole HA setup.

sensor:
- platform: template
  sensors:
    redfield_ratio:
      value_template: "{{ ((float(states('input_number.reef_nitrate'))) / (float(states('sensor.phosphorous_to_phosphate')))) | round(1) }}"
      unit_of_measurement: 'ratio'
      friendly_name: 'NO3(n):PO4(1)'

history_graph:
  reef_redfield_ratio_graphs:
    name: Reef Redfield Ratio History
    entities:
      - sensor.redfield_ratio
      - input_number.reef_redfield_ratio_minimum
      - input_number.reef_redfield_ratio_target
      - input_number.reef_redfield_ratio_maximum
    hours_to_show: 720
    refresh: 300

input_number:
reef_redfield_ratio_minimum:
  name: NO3 Ratio Min
  min: 0
  max: 30
  step: 1
  mode: box
#  initial: 5
  unit_of_measurement: ratio
reef_redfield_ratio_target:
  name: NO3 Ratio Target
#  initial: 16
reef_redfield_ratio_maximum:
  name: NO3 Ratio Max
#  initial: 19

group:
  reef_water_levels:
   name: Reef Water Levels
   control: hidden
   entities:
   - history_graph.reef_ca_history
   - history_graph.reef_alk_history
   - history_graph.reef_iron_history
   - history_graph.reef_mag_history
   - history_graph.reef_no3_history
   - history_graph.reef_phosphate_history
   - history_graph.reef_redfield_ratio_history
   - history_graph.reef_relative_density_history

reef_water_levels_input:
   name: Reef Water Levels Input
   entities:
   - input_number.reef_calcium
   - input_number.reef_alkalinity
   - input_number.reef_iron
   - input_number.reef_magnesium
   - input_number.reef_nitrate
   - input_number.reef_phosphorous
   - input_number.reef_relative_density
   - input_boolean.water_tests_levels_ranges

reef_water_levels_ranges:
   name: Reef Water Levels Ranges
   entities:
   - input_number.reef_calcium_minimum
   - input_number.reef_calcium_target
   - input_number.reef_calcium_maximum
   - input_number.reef_alkalinity_minimum
   - input_number.reef_alkalinity_target
   - input_number.reef_alkalinity_maximum
   - input_number.reef_iron_minimum
   - input_number.reef_iron_target
   - input_number.reef_iron_maximum
   - input_number.reef_magnesium_minimum
   - input_number.reef_magnesium_target
   - input_number.reef_magnesium_maximum
   - input_number.reef_nitrate_minimum
   - input_number.reef_nitrate_target
   - input_number.reef_nitrate_maximum
   - input_number.reef_phosphorous_minimum
   - input_number.reef_phosphorous_target
   - input_number.reef_phosphorous_maximum
   - input_number.reef_redfield_ratio_minimum
   - input_number.reef_redfield_ratio_target
   - input_number.reef_redfield_ratio_maximum
   - input_number.reef_relative_density_minimum
   - input_number.reef_relative_density_target
   - input_number.reef_relative_density_maximum

A further footnote about my recent experience with the Redfield Ratio:
This Christmas I quite literally cleaned my deep sand bed too much. Normally I shouldn’t do more than 25% at any one time. I ended up on “auto-pilot” during the cleaning exercise and cleaned the whole darn thing. On top of that, I had not realised my auto-doser ran out of Trace Iron, which fertilises my Chaeto algae in my refuge. As a result, my NO3 and PO4 went ballistic, with NO3 testing at 100ppm, and PO4 simply not registering on my Hanna Phosphorous ULR meter. Best I can estimate is that I was somewhere above (NO3)100:(PO4)1. As could be expected, nuisance algae and even a Dinoflag bloom resulted. As the deep sand bed has been recovering, and NO3 and PO4 values have slowly come back to their more normal ranges…so too has the Redfield ratio (currently around 12.9:1 ) and as such, hair algae and bryopsis and even the Dinoflag bloom are now finally receding. And my corals are looking super fat and much more happy, once again.

So I think it’s an important value to track, to better understand the health of your tank and corals. If you never have tracked it before, give it a try with Home Assistant. :slight_smile:

Enjoy!

1 Like

@sfgabe I don’t know what I have to do with the coockie. Should I do something on the reef-pi too?
I’ve added both sensors, but no values.

@florisi You shouldn’t have to do anything on the reef-pi setup, aside from check the cookie string and copy it. Check this yaml for where to put the cookie info:

Note, I’ve since switched to this auger style feeder, new feeder script on my github here.

This is such a great idea for logging. I have immediately copied this. I also like the graph of the redfield ratio.

I was sort of familiar with it but never looked at it closely and it could explain a lot.
My tank has had high nitrates basically since I started it two years ago. I really have no idea why. Initially some phosphate was registering on my hanna checker, then it fell to zero after a few months. So I’ve had this tank with high nitrates and zero phosphate for sometime. Soft coral does OK, zoas do quite well, but sps was never happy or would just die quickly. I tried carbon dosing but it didn’t make a difference. Recently I have been dosing phosphate to actually have some detectable in the tank (corals hate when you start that as well!). Part of my idea for dosing phosphate was perhaps if I had detectable phosphate in the tank the nitrate might naturally start to drop to fall in line with the redfield ratio. This doesn’t appear to have changed my high nitrates though unfortunately (my current ratio is about 900:1). So now my plan is to build and install a denitrator like this one: Poor Man's Nutrients Control - Donovan's Nitrate Destroyer | REEF2REEF Saltwater and Reef Aquarium Forum

Hopefully this finally gets the nitrate in check because I have no idea how to do it otherwise.

Anyways all this rambling was just me complimenting you on another great aquarium automation idea!

1 Like

Excellent to hear that you also have a use for logging of the manual water tests. Since that post describing this, I’ve been very happy with making the transition from using AquaCalculator. AquaCalc was a great app that served me well for years, but I do enjoy using a unified interface in Home Assistant for tracking all values, rather than having my data split between two software solutions.

Redfield Ratio helped me understand something I thought unusual back when we adopted our initial 200 litre tank from it’s former owners. When we got it, it was in really bad shape. Overstocked with fish, canister based filtration, no PS, and crushed coral (not sand - so it was packed with detritus) on the bottom, and PO4 was registering 5-10 and NO3 was at around 120. Corals looked sick, fish were malnourished & both HLLE and Cryptocaryon real bad.

We couldn’t get larger tank, because of the small rental unit we were in, and we were already shopping for a new house, so we had to overhaul what we had. Within a year, the tank looked amazingly different. I eliminated a lot of problems (canister filtration replaced by PS and refuge and sump), upgraded lights, replaced crush coral with proper DSB sand, and was able to get HLLE and Crypto under some managed control - until we could build proper facilities in new house for proper treatments. But at this time, the corals looked amazing and were growing like gangbusters - despite what I thought was still kinda high PO4 / NO3 values (approx 2-5 / 20-40). This was the first time I’d ever had such high values & had really excellent coral growth - almost too fast - and I couldn’t understand it. I went searching on various forums more as a matter of curiosity and read the first time about Redfield ratio & realised I had basically stumbled across those balanced values & was seeing the result. It didn’t explain everything…the forum posts talked about it in the context of low / ultra low values…and I was running at high values. I continued to try to push my values down, but at that point, I wasn’t so obsessive about it. The tank already looked amazing, let’s not look the gift fish in the mouth, too much, I thought.

These days, I let a combination of Redfield and low PO4 / NO3 be my goals. When I am breeding and raising out baby clownfish, my bio load and PO4 / NO3 values go way up (now I call it ‘Running my tank hot’) - and I tend to focus more on Redfield Ratio when my tank is running ‘hot’ like this. But since suspending growing out the hatchlings at end of last year, my tank is running ‘cool’ now with ULM values again - but my Redfield ratio is about 0.8 : 1 at the moment. Corals are great and growing really well, so I’m not too stressed about Redfield. But I am paying attention to it in my battle against Dino’s which I’ve been afflicted with since the start of the new year. I recently installed some new more efficient fluidised bed filters for GFO, and am driving my PO4 values down now, so I hope to have Redfield corrected better in coming months & am very curious how that affects my Dinos.

BTW, unlike some reefers, I’m not panicking or stressed by the Dinos. They mostly make the and look bad and brown, and kinda get on the rocks, but don’t seem to affect much else. So I’m playing the long game solution with them… almost like a scientific curiosity. Considered upping my NO3 / PO4 values to combat Dinos - but am holding off on that to see if I can find another way for the moment. We shall see. :slight_smile:

BTW, here’s the new Lovelace version of my dashboard. Finally made the jump back in the Spring of this year. I also separated out “Monitors” and “Controls” to two separate tabs. Because I like to leave a window on my computer up at all times for the Monitors, but learned my lesson about having “controls” on the same page as that is a bad idea with 5 cats in the house. LOL

1 Like

You’ve nearly got me convinced to move all my control over to homeassistant. It really has become extremely reliable. I saw you mentioned having the proper architecture a while back which makes sense. My biggest hurdle with all this right now would be the time to do it.
Since ESPhome has become available in homeassistant adding temp probes, scales, or ultrasonic sensors is very easy.

I still have slight concerns with if homeassistant goes down will my heater get stuck on or will a pump get stuck on. I could still plug the heaters into a simple backup heater control for redundancy. I’m thinking ultrasonic sensors for top off control and other things would be the slickest way to use them; I just have to figure out a redundancy for that.

Finally I am probably going to steal your dosing pump idea as well. I have an old jecod one that still works, but it would be nice to track the dosing history via homeassistant and know if something isn’t working correctly.

So this is the advantage of using Network controllable PowerBars / Sonoff 4CH solutions, rather than having direct control via a serial link. With the later solution, which is how APEX and other controllers work, if your controller freezes up / fails, you lose the power bar.

Using network controlled powerbars gives an advantage to creating more robust or even high availability Home Assistant solutions.

One super easy and cheap way to ensuring the heater stays on is to use a dual - backup strategy:

1.) Set the thermostat on your actual heater (if it has one) to just 2C above your target temp. I run my tank at 25C… but if it were to stick at 27C because everything else failed, that’d be okay - nothing would stress too much or die - even if it ran for days at 27C.

2.) If using a Sonoff with TASMOTA installed as your slave control of your heaters, you can implement a sanity check in in TASMOTA… always be pinging HA to check to see if it’s up - and if it goes offline, default the relays to OFF and keep them off.

That way, you’ve got a single node HA implementation, that has two layers of Fail Safely by Design functionality built into it.

Alternatively, you could take it another step and add a second HA Node.

You can almost literally Copy and Paste all your automations from your primary node to this new secondary node, and generally speaking add one conditions (and device tracker / sensors) to all your automations - so that none of the automations actually run until the condition that your Primary HA node has gone offline for 5+ minutes.

That 5 minute value should give you enough time to do a reboot or restart of HA on the primary system without triggering your failover backup instance of HA. Adjust to 10 minutes, if you need it. :slight_smile:

Now, running a second HA node this way, works pretty well, but there can be one dependancy you need to give some thought too - and there’s a few ways to solve this dependancy - that of MQTT server.

The easiest way to solve this is to setup a 3rd host (RaspberryPi, NUC, or VM) dedicated to MQTT (mosquito is what I use). But this doesn’t actually buy any redundancy for MQTT itself. But it does isolate and separate MQTT away from HA installs, so if you take one HA instance offline (maybe backing up the SDcard, or something) the MQTT service is unaffected. Also, MQTT is pretty damn stable - in 3 years, I’ve never had MQTT crash on me. So this is the solution I use - MQTT is on it’s own dedicated VM, completely separated logically and physically from each HA install.

Alternatively, if you want a failover MQTT host - that’s also do-able, and this is what I would do, if I wanted to go this way, if say using RPI’s:

Setup Mosquito on each RaspberryPi - but with a 2nd IP address on each eth0:1 interface. This 2nd IP Interface on every RaspberryPi would be configured to share the same IP address. And each RaspberryPi would be configured NOT to bring up either mosquito server or that secondary IP Interface, except for an assigned Primary MQTT RPI. The Secondary RPI’s also with MQTT and 2nd interfaces would only activate if they saw the Primary MQTT server go offline for greater than 3-5 minutes, then they would first bring up the secondary IP interface and then launch MQTT services on it.

If the Primary comes back online, it’ll be configured with some customised scripting to first check to see if the Secondary instance of MQTT is already running & IP address is in use - in which case, it will wait until the Secondary disappears before resuming it’s role as the primary MQTT.

This way, from HA’s perspective, the MQTT’s IP address never changes - regardless which RPI is running MQTT services - it’s just always there, and at worst, it’s not available for up to 3-5 minutes.

(you could also do this using VMs or NUCs, if you wanted)

The bash / pythons scripts to do all of this would have to be written, but that’s pretty easy if you are semi-proficient in either of those.

Basically, I think it would do the following:

1.) Test “did I just boot up?”
2.) Check for expected MQTT IP address, if not found, bring our IP up and launch MQTT
2b) If found IP, check to see that MQTT service is running, if so, go to sleep, checking only for existing service to go offline every 5 minutes
2c) If IP found, but MQTT not found, host may be hung, force it offline (remote login shutdown scripts and/or toggle power off on that node)
2d) bring up local 2nd IP interface and MQTT service

Maybe that logic needs some finessing, but at a high level, that’s it.

Let me know what you end up deciding to go for. I’m curious. :slight_smile:

Well since my reef angel water level sensor seems to be acting up and the joystick on it has stopped working I think its time to move it all over to homeassistant.

I have a spare pi2 that will probably suffice for the separate aquarium functions. I guess where I plan on starting is switching the auto top off to homeassistant. I wanted to use the sonic distance sensors set up through ESPhome but I’m wondering if that is the best method? With my reef angel it used a water level sensor that would measure pressure in a pvc tube (there’s probably a way to migrate these over to homeassistant but I haven’t looked into that.)

What’s everyone think the best idea is for auto top off?

1 Like

The pressure based PVC tube sounds interesting. If it uses 1-wire or I2C or something like that, it should be easy to migrate over, I think.

I simply use multiple float sensors, both vertical and horizontal versions, and haven’t had any problems with them in 3 years. I do have places to mount those sensors which are mostly salt-creep free zones. That said, I used to have two different Tunze Osmolators in our aquarium setup in our old pre-2005 house, and in that setup, there was no salt-creep free zones as it was a very small setup. And still, the Osmolators optical sensor still ended up with gunk and overflowed a few times.

I can explain what I’ve done in my current setup and you can decide from there.

This is the detailed (normally hidden) overview panel of all my water level sensors:

Normal Ops Waterlevel: This is a horizontal (thru-hole design) swing arm float valve design, which I mounted on a recycled Mag-Glass Cleaner, that way it’s very secure, but easily adjustable and/or relocatable. This sensor is set to the height I want to maintain the water level at when all pumps are ON. The magnet had become too weak for the thick glass on my 1000 litre tank, but on my plastic tub sump, which is very thin relative to the glass, the mag has a lot of holding power. When the sensor measures low, then the Reverse Osmosis Top Up dosing pump is activated. (Bonus Feature with this sensor: Not only does this control RO Water Top off, but if the Saltwater Transfer Pump is activated while the Main Circulation Pump is running, it will cut off the Saltwater Transfer Pump once the sensor triggers. This is handy when I scoop out either large corals, rocks or water from the display aquariums in the next room - particularly if I’m vacuuming the sand-bed. Then without having to leave what I’m doing in the Living room, I can toggle the Transfer Pump to replace the lost water/mass I took out of one of the display aquariums and HA will take over turning the pump off. (Before HA, I used to have to run back and forth between rooms to do this manually.)

Sump Overflow Status: Again, a thro-hole swing arm sensor which is permanently mounted into the side of the plastic tub. This is set to the “Oh F***!!!” Water-level, which is what you might say when water is just 2cm from the top of the sump and still rising. When this activates, Home Assistant heroically and valiantly turns on the Purge Sump Pump, only de-activating the Purge Sump Pump when the sensor indicates it’s returned to returned to sane levels for more than 15 seconds. This sensor also activates a WAV file of a specific “fish ops alarm” to be played throughout the house & TTS spoken description of what alarm event has occurred and what to do (for like house / tank sitters, etc.). And push notifications to my phone.

Sump Full Cutoff Status: Same sensor and mounting as above, but this is mounted just a little below the Overflow Status sensor, and is used mainly for Automated Batch Water Changes. (FWIW, I also have Automated Continuous Water Changes using dosers also setup, but now I digress). This is used to cut off the Saltwater Transfer Pump from my 180L mixing barrel during batch water change operations. This also triggers informational TTS and sound effect alarms & push notifications.

What is not listed here, but is an important part of my Redundancy; I already had two Aqua-Medic Auto-Top-Up dosing pumps with vertical float sensors. I installed both of theses, dedicating one to use for Reverse Osmosis Top Up, and the other for Kalkwasser Top Up. Each pump is hardwired to it’s own vertical float sensor and I mounted both of these about 1-2 inches above the level the HA controlled swing arm sensor is mounted. This way, if that HA sensor fails (or let’s assume that HA RPI fails), the vertical sensor of the AquaMedic Dosers will act as a backup. The power lines from the Aqua Medic Dosers are plugged into one of my network controlled powerbars which HA integrates with and controls.

Salt Water Mix Status: same sensor and perm mounting on my 180ltr mixing barrel, because even the filling of the barrel is automated by Home Assistant. (Literally, I pour in 5 litre size cups of Salt, close the top, hit the Mix Salt & WaterChange function on Home Assistant and walk away. Home Assistant fills the barrel, mixes the salt, brings it to temp, and then executes the whole batch water change process.

Skimmate Bucket Status: Again, I choose for the swing arm designs here because I find them the most resilient / reliable design. And the stuff collected in this 20 litre bucket can get quite gunky. When water level is achieved (approx half full), it simply pumps the bucket down the drain. The size of this bucket is a hold-over from the days I used to empty this manually approx every other week. Notifications occur so I can easily tell if it’s not pumping / purging on a bi-weekly basis, something has gone wrong / needs cleaning. :slight_smile:

Salt creep isn’t a problem on my aquariums, and here I use standard vertical sensors, which is the rest of the sensors on this list. However, these do get a fair amount of use. I have a healthy self-sustaining population of snails. And I have 4 x 40cm pipes under the floor, making runs as long as 15 meters (x4) of pipes between 3 Aquariums in the Living & Dining rooms, and the sump / refuge / working tanks located in the dedicated fishland infrastructure room. And big snails can create quite a drag on the currents in those returns back to the sump. Once in a blue moon, an air bubble can get down there and slow things down. So if any of these trigger for longer than 30 seconds, Alarms start playing announcing in 30 seconds the main circulation pump between the tanks will be cut off, and then it does it. If the water level returns to normal, it’ll wait 60 seconds and alarm that it’s going to fire the pump back up again, and repeat this process up to 5 times in an attempt to clear the line. If it cannot succeed it stops trying and waits for manual intervention.

Next stop - Kalkwasser as a component of AutoTopUp
This is my detailed control panel for all Top Up functions, including Kalkwasser

Originally, I had Kalkwasser in serial with RO water. Meaning, it would dose Kalkwasser up to the setup point and switch over to RO once it hit the dialled in amount. But what would happen, particularly in spring and fall, it would end up dosing Kalkwasser still throughout the Light On period, since not as much water would evaporate during the evenings / night. So now it works in parallel during the night from 12am until 12PM (my tank lights come on at 2pm and go off at 11pm). This balances my pH Day/Night shifts a lot better.

And all the important stuff described above is minimised and displayed more succinctly on my Dashboard overview like this (I have another page tab for detailed controls view separate from the Dashboard monitoring view. Because 5 x cats & keyboards are bad mix.):

Oh, and of course, I have HA to raise alarms (and attempt a shutoff) if for some-reason the AutoTopUp runs for more than 2 hours. The advantage of using dosers to do auto-top up is when they go wrong, they go wrong in slow-motion; giving on the benefit of time to detect and react to those undesirable events, before they become incidents and impacts. :smiley: Additionally, as you’ve probably noticed, you can also calculate / track how much water you’re consuming as a factor of evaporation that way.

A thought for your ideas…why not use both Sonic sensor and float sensor together? You could have your float sensor as the actual control, and create a sanity check in Home Assistant using your Sonic sensor to raise an alarm if they disagree. If they agree, run normal TopUp functions. And you get precise information what your water levels are to boot.

1 Like

Curious on how you got Free Ammonia and Ammonium levels in your tank? I have a freshwater tank I am attempting to do the same. So far my system has 2 temp readings, IR controller for lights, TD Sensor, display for showing tank properties, water leak sensor, and warning light. All this controlled with a ESP32. I was killing myself trying to find the ammonia levels in tanks. Any help on that?

Hey @agengr1293,

Apologies for the delayed response; I just now saw your inquiry. I think something went wrong with notifications or something.

Yeah, the NH3 monitoring I’m doing is from the Seneye Sensor.

Do you have one of these? Did you setup the integration component? Details about that integration can be found here.

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/adding-support-for-seneye-aquarium-pond-sensors-removing-the-need-for-a-seneye-web-server/

This is my first code on Python :)))

Hey @Xinil I’m going to rope you back over onto the main thread since the High Availability topic is a bit off-topic for the Autodoser thread, if that’s okay with you. I’ll quote your latest comment on the autodoser thread here, just to make it easier to follow.

Thanks so much for the detailed walkthrough of your home system, cowboy! You’ve got an amazing setup and a seriously impressive workflow of failure-triggers, backups and redundancies.

You’re welcome. :slight_smile:

FWIW, this setup began itself life in 2003 as a single 250litre tank which I adopted from a previous owner who was moving back to Germany. In a way, it was more of a rescue case as they had let it fall into neglect and it had Old Tank Syndrome after 5 years, and just wanted to get rid of it all. I nursed it back to health, and started growing it out slowly by just adding more and more tanks to the overall system through the years. At some point, I realised I had so much time and labor invested in it, I really wanted to have the same kind of reliability in the aquarium automation controller that I was familiar with building in my day job working at mobile phone network operators, where network & system uptime HAS to be better than 99.97% available. And I’d already been scratching my head wondering why wasn’t there any commercial or open source aquarium controller that offered this kind of guarantee. Since there wasn’t any, that’s why I resorted to building it myself.

First things first, I need to set up a secondary/backup HA! I don’t know why I haven’t done this yet but I guess I needed to see other people doing it first to know it was possible. I run HA in a VM as well using the qcow2 image. So my plan would be to install HA on a separate machine (I have two Unraid servers each running VMs/dockers) and set up a similar set of ‘secondary node conditions’ so that nothing runs without first confirming the primary is down. Do you have any more details on how you set up those conditions? I use Node-Red/MQTT for 90% of my automations.

Well, if you have two Unraid servers running their own VM/docker containers, you’ve already got a good base to work from. I can’t advise on Unraid as I use XCP-NG (XenCloudPlatform-NextGen) as my VM hosts, largely due to 1.) I was already familiar with Citrix XenServer at the GSM Mobile phone companies I worked at, and 2.) XCP-NG had just launched as an open source project with intentions to reclaim Xen back from Citrix who was moving at the time to make Xen Server more proprietary and closed source, and 3.) If one builds the XenOrchestra Community Edition management tool from the sources (which is pretty easy), then one get’s ALL the enterprise management tools like Live Migrations between hosts & full backup suite and other functionalities.

One thing I forgot to mention in my previous reply, is for my VM install of HA, I actually broke out the Home Assistant DB SQL server & MQTT server into their own dedicated VMs, for a few reasons, and recommend others do the same. My primary HA node which runs on my VM, is the one node that runs all critical (i.e.- aquarium automations) and non-critical (i.e.-streaming beach & sunset cams, etc.) functions when everything is working properly. I want to keep a very long DB history (several months-to-a-year) of water parameters, and automation history, which I don’t want to lose if I use a snapshot / backup restore function of the Home Assistant VM itself.

Further, the reason for doing this for the MQTT server is that I want the other RaspberryPi nodes to be able to talk to each other, even if the VM HA host goes down or is being rebooted or upgraded. I’ve found that Mosquito MQTT server is very fast and very reliable in practice, but in that extremely rare case that it were to crash, my XCP-NG box is setup to reboot it (which takes just like 15 seconds) or spin it up on my secondary XCP-NG host. (I won’t go into detail here, but there is a way to have a redundant installation of MQTT server on a RaspberryPi in a cold-standby mode that only fires up if the primary MQTT server were to fail, but I do not use that at this time.)

I also do not use Node-Red at all. By the time I saw more people were starting to do this, I had become quite comfortable doing all my automations natively in YAML on HA and felt that NodeRed would just add more complexity to my solution, which I wanted to avoid. It might be possible to do this using NodeRed, but being I’ve never used it, I can’t advise on that myself.

I also thought Zwave was limiting / blocking in its capabilities and reliability. Others have had better experience with Zwave, but in my limited trials with an Aeotec Zwave dongle and one single Aeotec SmartSocket6 hooked up to our coffee maker, I had to many Zwave network issues despite the dongle & smart socket just being a few meters apart & clear line of sight. Also, since the dongle has to be plugged into a host, if said host were to die in the middle of the night, this could present problems. I found HTTP, MQTT and SNMP much more flexible, reliable and scalable in this regards compared to Zwave.

For the High Availability functions, I broke out each function as much as possible / practical to do so, for more granularity of control, specifically disabling specific HA-HA automations should the need arise, without disabling the full suite of HA-HA functions. For instance, maybe I want to turn off the Sound Alert automations for a failure, without disabling the shutdown of of the autodosers themselves.

For example, this is the function to safely shutdown any/all dosing operations (with extreme prejudice - i.e.- I just assume they may be running, rather than testing to see if they are running) if one of my RaspberryPi HA-HA nodes detects either the VM Host has gone offline, or if the HA VM has gone offline or if the HA application itself has stopped sending MQTT heartbeat signals.

• alias: “NETMON: VM Node OFFLINE Doser Shutdown”
    initial_state: true
    trigger:

• platform: state
      entity_id: sensor.vmhost_tracker
      to: ‘OFFLINE’
      for:
      seconds: 30
      entity_id: sensor.ha_vm_tracker
      for:
      entity_id: sensor.ha_vm_mqtt_heartbeat
      for:
    • platform: homeassistant
      event: start
      condition:
      condition: or
      conditions:
      • condition: state
        state: ‘OFFLINE’
        action:
    • service: switch.turn_off
      entity_id: switch.reefdoser1_pump1
      entity_id: switch.reefdoser1_pump2
      entity_id: switch.reefdoser1_pump3
      entity_id: switch.reefdoser1_pump4
  • alias: “NETMON: VM Node OFFLINE Sound Klaxons Voice Prompts”
    initial_state: true
    trigger:

for:
      for:
      for:
    • platform: homeassistant
      event: start
      condition:
      condition: or
      conditions:
        action:
    • service: media_player.volume_set
      data_template:
      entity_id: media_player.node2_speaker
      volume_level: “1”
    • service: shell_command.vmhost_offline_siren
    • service: shell_command.vmhost_offline_announcement
    • delay: ‘00:00:06’

So as you can see, while the triggers are the same, the automation actions (and automation labels) are different for that greater granularity of control - I can turn off a specific High Availability or Alarm function while leaving the rest remaining. This is useful for debugging, testing and even at times, during upgrades (because I tend to upgrade one host at a time).

BTW, in my professional experience, I’ve seen VM Host network stacks do a “half-crash” - where the VM’s keep running & can keep talking to each other & keep existing open connections to external boxes open, but any new connections made from an external box to a VM host get denied / dropped. It’s an extremely rare condition, but having seen it happen in enterprise environments, that is why I reply on pinging the VM host, the VM container, and an MQTT heartbeat from the VM container - this can reveal the nature of the failure that occurred & how to react.

Like the above examples, I have another automation with the same triggers but a different automation action that toggles an input boolean for the locally implemented (on that RaspberryPi) autodoser automations. These local automations are the very same ones which are already shared on the AutoDoser thread with an extra condition added for that input boolean so they do not run unless the boolean is activated. The trigger also has a longer timeout (10 minutes) so that the dosers are not run from a secondary node in the event I’m just rebooting the VM (30-40 seconds) or VM host (5-6 minutes).

As for dosing…there’s a lot of consider. I’ve already installed a Reef Pi (running on a Pi Zero) and I have a pH probe reporting to my HA system. it works wonderfully.

FWIW, I investigated the ReefPi project, but at the time (end of 2016/early 2017) it had appeared the project development had stalled & documentation was kinda spotty, so I didn’t pursue that. However, I am glad to see it got picked up again and is moving forward once again. I’m familiar with several people on this thread here, whom have integrated the ReefPi with HA so I know it’s totally doable, but I never got into it myself.

Another contributor ended up writing the code to natively support Seneye devices (which I have 3 of) and I’ve been happy with that path the last few years for pH and NH3 Ammonia monitoring.

Given I can do more with this Reef Pi, my two options are:

A) Add a Reef Pi doser and make it part of that system - independent of HA and open to failures on its own (adding redundancy here seems very difficult and I’m honestly very if the risk is worth the ‘simplicity’ reward.)

or B) get an AC powered doser and trigger it via HA and Z-wave. I need to set up my secondary HA before I’d be comfortable going down this route.

I can’t comment much for option A, but could speculate if you go this route, you have two sub options with this path - run the doser logic from HA through ReefPi or have the doser logic run natively in ReefPi itself.

For option B, there’s two options actually - you can buy a Sonoff 4CH that supports just AC switching (my existing doser was AC…so the choice was that) or if you want to use DC pumps, Sonoff makes a variant of the 4CH that is AC/DC switching compatible.

What I can say is while MQTT is extremely fast, it’s not atomic fast. There is a tiny, tiny bit of network latency. In practice, and because my dosing pumps pump rather slowly (just 0.41667ml every 1 second for my MG/CA/Alk/Iron dosers & double that for my Reverse Osmosis and Kalkwasser dosers) this tiny bit of latency doesn’t translate into much in the way of variation. For instance, my Kalkwasser is set to dose 6 Liters over the night period, split up 12 times every hour. At the end of the day in practice, this comes out to maybe 6002ml dosed one day, the next day might be 5997ml, the next day it might be 5999ml, etc. So the deviation in practice is quite small. The smallest amount of daily dosing is the Iron doser, which is set to 22ml a day - in practice, the daily deviation is less than just 0.2ml (i.e. - 21.85ml, 21.92ml, 22.05ml, etc.). In practice, these tiny deviations do not make themselves apparent in my chemistry testing of my reef. In fact, my Iron has ridden the last 3+ years extremely stable at my target of 0.1ppm. And I would expect they wouldn’t be measurable in your smaller system either, however, I do want to be very honest and transparent about this.

On the flip side, I can imagine some of that latency is also from the Linux OS itself, as Linux is not an atomic real time OS, so it’s possible even with direct hardwired GPIO from a ReefPi, you might still see some tiny bit of latency & variation in what actually gets dosed.

One way around this would be to implement the doser control logic directly on the ESP chip of the Sonoff 4CH itself & simply use HA to push the variable runtime parameters to the ESP chip. I just never got around to doing this myself, because I’ve not come across the need to have that level of accuracy.

But you do have lots of options to choose from for your own implementation here, I think. :slight_smile:

I hope that helps in deciding which way you want to go. Again, keep us updated what you decide and how your implementation goes. I always appreciate hearing about other people’s journeys with this, and if you feel inclined to do so, feel free to share a few pictures of your Tank and your HA solution implementation.

1 Like