Google Assistant: "Could not update settings" / "/api/error_log served" if more than a certain number of my devices are set to be sent

I doubt that’s it. Google is getting the friendly name from customize… I can’t use the device_id to control them… Google only knows the friendly name.

No, aliasses we’re working perfectly before,. They were not visible though in the app, but definely working… Sometimes I had like , 15 different aliasses for 1 entity, even mixing languages were possible…

Used them a lot … Control the same entity with different words or sentence

Gonna drop the aliasses later, to see if that was the culprit, the only difference I see in your config

For example, for a exposed cover : screen

I created aliasses, like window, shutter…

So I can say, screen down, shutter down, window down…

@Lastof @DavidFW1960

what i also see as a difference besides aliassess
in your config David: https://github.com/DavidFW1960/home-assistant/blob/master/google_assistant.yaml

you dont use this line : expose_by_default: false
so if you expose a domain, you need to exclude every single entity in your config file , otherwise it will be visible?
we work the other way we use this line : expose_by_default: false , and just exlude = true for each entity, this is less work

EDITED POST :
@Lastof
one step further
removed all aliasses , but same issue
but what works, but only with the paid version, make sure if you link the hass.io app, that devices are below 20 , then link, then you can expose entities in your config, then sync my devices, thats seems to be working, just make sure you dont unlink again…
btw, entities are still not visible in the home app on android, but at least i control now my stuff

Perhaps but this was how I originally configured it. I also specify the room for each entity anyway.

I specify these in Google instead of home assistant… use them with routines.

That’s also an approach, but routines is not yet available for all countries, we are still waiting for it… But anyway, it has nothing todo with aliases, I ruled that out

Yes I very much doubted it would be that.
None of this makes any sense and it’s only people here on HA who are complaining about this so I don’t see that it’s even a Google problem. It’s very weird that ‘cloud’ seems affected as well. Are you on 0.88 of Home Assistant?

Yes 88.1…
It’s indeed strange, but I need to rule out one by one, since you are not affected…

But I still think that a scene is not an actual device in your case, that’s the only thing left :wink:

Actually a good test would be that you expose a few more switches , do that you have more then 20 devices, excluding scenes… :wink:

And then do a ,“sync my devices”… You even don’t have to unlink and link again to set the error

But then again, I all started happening together with the Google fullfillment issue… I didn’t see it in beginning, since I had already a working link… But I noticed that in my house , several home control items were not accessible by voice, it gave me an error… Only 20 items worked… So that why I try unlinked, and then the fun began :frowning:

it makes no sense that cloud is also affected. Do yu really think there aren’t people with more han 20 devices and can’t sync with google outside HA? I just think it’s possible it’s something with HA that is causing this, specifically 0.88.x

Otherwise people all over would be screaming blue murder… Anything on openhab forums about this?

not that i know, but @Lastof did try also a rollback to older version, same issue
i did not try it yet

ok, going todo one other approach, last test
@Lastof , in first post you mentioned, that there is indeed a difference between the expose by default = false , that gives a different error when you sync/link
i have the same config as yours
the difference i see with @DavidFW1960 is that he is not using that line in his config
so @DavidFW1960 am i right, that if you would have lots of lights, that you need to enter those in your google config and set the as expose: false ? so if you make a new light, you also always need to edit your google config,and make sure its not automaticly added?

of btw @Lastof

if you eventuall can link with 19x devices, in deed you dont see them in the google home app
but evetually then will come, normally its like within 5 secs if you link , now it just takes about 15 hours, there is seems an enormous caching issue, but its getting better and better it seems

After being busy all day yesterday finally managed to find a little more time to experiment over lunch.

Step by step Results:

• I can link a Ikea hub directly to google with more than 19 devices, so clearly it is at least partly something HA is doing
  • expose_by_default: true (or just leaving expose_by_default out of the config so it defaults to true) works again. I know it did when I first hit the issue friday night, but then didn’t when I tested shortly after posting this topic saturday. I think some time in my testing “exposed_domains:” got uncommented and since it was empty just caused google to be sent an empty list
  • expose_by_default: true, but with my usual config also uncommented doesn’t work and errors as usual
  • expose_by_default: true, my usual config, but with all the "room: " entries commented and it works fine
  • expose_by_default: false, my usual config, but with all the "room: " entries commented doesn’t error, but also doesn’t seem to be linked

So, I think room assignments might have something to do with it. Was hopeful when the expose: false + rooms commented didn’t error, but tried it several times and it never appears in the linked services list.

I’ve saved the json results the edits awarecan gave log and will try looking through them to spot differences between times that are working and not this evening (unfortunately right now I should get back to work).

ok, interesting, so its maybe an HA issue after all? but then again, you did a rollback to older version? that didnt work either?

but anway, so you are saying that this config is the way to go ?

but i think with this config in example above me, every entity is exposed, so for example , if you have like 20 switches, and you want to expose on 5 you need to enter the 15 ones in the google config : but then with the line expose: false

am i correct?
he also has rooms in it, so i dont think thats the issue?

btw , also post your findings on the github issue, so it can be fixed offcourse :slight_smile:

ow yeah!!! back in business, 62 devices exposed!! Huray
i still have the expose by default: false
so just commented out the room:

BANG!

Good Job @Lastof and also thnx @DavidFW1960

gonna report this to github also, can you also post your json logging to that site?
this is indeed something with HA after all

EDIT: now, the only difference i see in the config from @DavidFW1960 , isn that in his room config, everything is in lower case, while our room config starts with a uppercase? maybe thats the culprit?

Will try lowercase based stuff when I get a chance later.

Was waiting till I felt I had something more conclusive (i.e., sure it is related to rooms, rather than just suspecting), but feel free to update the issue yourself if you want.

well, just tried it, no succes :frowning:
commented out 62 x times room:
BANG , succesfull link again

so room: must be indeed the culprit ? not ?