Google Assistant: How to control HA form my phone's Google Assistant

Try “Turn on the kitchen lights” plural see if that does anything.

Yeah I tried that too, unfortunately it just says i haven’t configured any lights for that room. I also have a HASS controlled light in my Living Room which is also associated with the Living Room’ room entity under Home Control. It also doesn’t recognise “Turn on the Living Room light/s”.

Everything looks correct, i must just be saying it incorrectly. If i have a light called ‘Kitchen’ I would just say “Hey Google, turn on Kitchen light” or “Hey Google, turn on Kitchen”? I’ve tried both and neither work :frowning:

Sounds like something isn’t linked properly then. Have you tried unlinking and relinking?

Yeah tried that a few times now. Do i have to start by saying “Hey Google, Talk to <project_id>”?

you shouldn’t have to say ‘talk to project…’ or anything like that. Is the light just called ‘kitchen’ in Hass? or ‘kitchen light’. If you say ‘hey google, turn on the kitchen light’ it will be looking for a Hass entity called ‘kitchen light’, not just a light in the room called kitchen…if that makes sense. You don’t need to allocate the Hass devices to rooms within the Google Home app either. I didn’t bother. I have a light in my kitchen controlled by Hass which I called ‘kitchen light’ (as the Hass entity) so when I say the phase as I mentioned before, it simply works.

Yeah that makes sense thanks, i’ll have a bit more of a play around with it tonight and see how i go :slight_smile:

Is there going to be a point in the future when HASS can be potentially added as an officially supported device by Google Home?

Try “Turn ON Kitchen”

It identifies by name not type(light, switch, cover) so if it shows as kitchen in app and you say “turn on kitchen light” it won’t work since there is no “kitchen light” only “kitchen”.

Also
Try “Turn Kitchen ON”

Ok, so it turns out it all works great if i use the Google Assistant on my phone but not via the Google Home Mini. Not sure whats going on, both my phone and the home mini are connected to my gmail account. I’ve rebooted the mini and it still doesnt understand the commands. The mini is definitely connected to the same account cause i can see the failed voice command attempts via my account google home history.

Does anything show up in the HASS log?

Only when I voice commands to GA via my phone, nothing in the logs when I go via Google home mini

I assume something similar to this shows up under “Home Control” in your Google Home app as well?

Sure does (although i have less devices than you :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: ). I thought it might be the mini not recognising my voice and then treating me as a guess and not linking to my gmail account. But i ask it whats my name and it responds correctly and I also see my failed voice command attempts in the gmail GH history.

How odd, maybe your mini needs a firmware update? I’d check with Google to see if something’s wrong on their end since assistant is working on your phone your GH mini should work as well.

Yeah will do, thanks heaps for you continued help mate, much appreciated :slight_smile:

I’m also trying to use my Android phone to control HA by following the instructions at Google Assistant - Home Assistant. I’ve got no trouble setting up until section 6 and 7 which states:

Open the Google Assistant app and go into Settings > Home Control
Click the + sign, and near the bottom, you should have [test] your app name. Selecting that should lead to you the screen where you can set rooms for your devices or nicknames for your devices.

However, I don’t have any option “Home Control” and no way of adding another device. The only device I see is my Chromecast and services (Audio and Video connected to that. From what I gather (after searching the Internet) it seems like Google is trying to hide the Home Control option unless you own a Google Home device. All guides I’ve seen on other ways of accessing the Home Control->Add device menu doesn’t work.

Google’s own instructions at Control smart home devices added to the Google Home app - Google Nest Help is also does not match what I see. I’ve also tried switching region, thinking this may have to do with it (in Sweden many other speech->action services like MS’s Cortana doesn’t work unless you specify US keyboard and region so I thought it could be a similar issue for Google Home Control).The discussion at https://www.reddit.com/r/googlehome/comments/6g6vvd/shortcuts_gone_from_app_uk/ seems to imply this is the case.

Have anyone come to a solution to this problem?

Actually I think that’s your problem. Where are you from? I’m just asking because here in Spain, I had to setup the language of my mobile as (English-United States) because in Spanish the option ‘Home Control’ of Google Assistant is not yet activated. So ‘poor Google Assistant’ has to try understanding me ;-))

I believe so too (I live in Sweden). However, adding US English as system languange, clearing caches and reinstalling Google assistant, doesn’t to diddly squat. I still don’t get any access to the home control menu (or any option of seeing that Home Control is not activated for my region). :frowning:

Same issue. Just spent the time setting this up and ran into this…

It seems that Home Control only becomes available if you have a physical Google Home device on your network. i tried last week to set up Home Control on my mums phone for her but it was missing, putting it down to the fact that she doesn’t have a physical Google Home device. (we are in Australia)