Google Assistant Integration with IPv6

Hello!

Previously I used an ISP that provided each user a public IP address, however the speeds were awful. That made me change to another Provider that uses IPv6 and IPv4 under CGNAT, which gave me lots of troubles to access HASS outside of my local network. Some hours of research about IPv6 and I’m finally able to do it. Now, the next step would be integrating HASS with Google Assistant again, since I had that working with my previous ISP, following the guide found here. I’m getting some strange behaviour when syncing my test app within Google Home app. I can see my Test App, also can log in with my Home Assistant credentials, however, it stays at the “Signing in” screen for some time and then exits as if nothing has happened, without linking the application. My question: does that could possibly have something to do with the fact that I’m using IPv6? Some screenshots are shown below, to demonstrate what I’m talking about. Any ideas on how this isn’t working properly are much appreciated.

Thanks in advance (and a happy new year for everybody)

I’m in almost the same situation as you are, however one single step behind you, once linking to my test app, my redirect doesn’t seem to work, even tough I’ve set up a static port forwarding on my router.

Did you ever get your problem solved and also, how did your step “link app from Google Home app” ?

Hi, How did u configured home assistant with ipv6 ? I’m struggling to do it … may you please post the steps?

I also have the same problem with ds-lite.
Maybe someone has found a solution to this problem?

So I have done his. I have a domain with only a AAAA record (so external access is IPv6 only). I also use a reverse proxy (Caddy) which forwards domain traffic to HA. This works fine with IPv6 and Google Assistant. My router opens that port for incoming traffic (a non standard port)

1 Like

Can You have any particular details about your configuration. I have a Vodafone Station router.
There is no port forwarding option.
But ports after ipv6 work outward for every ipv6 device

You don’t port forward with IPv6 at all. You open the port. It’s straight through. So you open the port for 443 or some other port and a connection will be made direct to the specific device in this case home assistant.

As I said I am using Caddy as a reverse proxy and I have port xx443 opened in my router. External connections to HA come in on mydomain:xx443 and Caddy then proxies that to local-ip:8123. Google Assistant also connects to that same port etc.

Not 100% sure what you mean by this but generally outgoing traffic is always permitted anyway…

Your router does need to support hairpin NAT nat loopback etc otherwise it won’t allow you to connect to your domain from inside your LAN. I do have a blog article showing how all this is setup however it uses Caddy Version 1 which has now been replaced by version 2 and it is a different setup. I haven’t played with it enough yet to get it working (Caddy also handles LetsEncrypt SSL) I do need to get back onto that.

Hi,
I installed it:

Home Assistant Add-on: Caddy 2

but no change,
Does the caddy require any special configuration?
reverse proxy ?

Yes it does. There is a thread here for Caddy. Check that for examples.

Not work.
I do a new installation HA.
and still doesn’t work. Maybe I have a wrong
configured HA or it’s an ipv6 problem: /

Has anyone had any Lucky with this type of configuration?
I’m able to access my HA instance through ipv6 no problem but I need to be on another network that uses ipv6, because my ipv4 is behind NAT2 so that would be impossible.
Is there a way so that Google Home Assistant uses ipv6?

It does use IPv6

I just solved my problem, but now ther is another, let me explain.
Im using DuckDNS, so it is updating the ipv4… when I manually erased the IPv4 from the duckdns website and manually entered the IPv6, it all started to work, so im guessing google Home prefers the IPv4… anyways, now the problem is how to stop DuckDNS add-on from updating IPv4???

I believe Google will always use IPv6 as a preference if available. The IPv6 address is probably static anyway so maybe you don’t need to update duckdns at all

The thing is that whenever I go to duckdns.org, the ipv4 is set, so I manually delete that and click update and then and just then, Google home assistant starts working, how do I stupthis from happening I already stopped Dusckdns add-on in HA, but it still gets updated!

Hen you have something else updating it. A router perhaps?

How did you make duckdns work over ipv6? Even if you have to manually enter and erase the ipv4 in order to make all work…
Can you post your duckdns configuration?

DuckDNS does not update ipv6, what i had to do is install DuckDns like normal instalation, then after i got certificates and all that stuff, I just STOP duckdns addon, erase IPv4 in duckdns.org, copy and paste my HA IPv6 (do not use the one starting wiht “fe… or f0…”) do not use your router’s IPv6.
Hope this works for you.

It should and does for me anyway. They also have a bash script on their site to update IPv6. The HA addon only does IPv4 though…