Google Assistant Keeps losing connection with Home Assistant

So i have always had Mdns on due to the way i have my network setup. I just turned it off to see if it would change anything like @iNick and sure enough google home was able reconnect to home assistant. It only lasted for a minute before google home started losing connection again and started telling me that home assistant is unavailable. I will continue to play with it but right now google only works about 1 out of 5 times.

1 Like

Commands via Google Assistant havenā€™t worked all day today - they were working fine yesterday. I can reach my server via the Home Assistant app over cellular networks just fine, so it does not appear to be an issue with my ISP or my router. Iā€™m guessing Google must have either changed something on their end, or is experiencing a failure of some sort.

Thereā€™s currently a duckdns outage. Iā€™m going to wait for them to fix it at this point before spending any more time on this.

intoDNS: duckdns.org - check DNS server and mail server health

3 Likes

I have a UDM too (not the pro). My GoogleHomes still say cannot sync but voice commands appear to work. I note post below is saying DuckDNS is down.

Found this on GitHub suggesting GeoIP was an issue. As you have a UDM it may be worth looking into anything in your firewall once DuckDNS is up again. Iā€™ll be doing the same and will report back if I discover anything.

I donā€™t see any problem in DuckDNS but the HA-google problem is still goingon.
I will check the suggested GeoIP/firewall/router config in my router now. I have Unlocator as name servers in my internet service.

I have the same issue. It stared yesterday. I never look at ha because it just works. But some how every time i do something new something gets broken. Like this time i installed frigate and everything is working fine but google assistant cant connect anymore. If I try to relink the app it says something went wrong. Sometimes it works just once and the everything goes offline in google home app. Eventually i unlinked my ha form google home but now it wont let me add it again. I get login screen but after that it says something went wrong try again. I didnt change anything google related. I tought it was a google fail but next morning its still broken. I also use duckdns is there still an issue?

1 Like

Iā€™ve got exactly the same problem as @pbvdven . It started yesterday, no troubleshooting I have tried works.

The test from the Google Console fails:

{
  "response": "We're sorry, but something went wrong. Please try again.",
  "expectUserResponse": false,
  "conversationToken": "",
  "audioResponse": "",
  "ssmlMarkList": [],
  "visualResponse": {
    "visualElementsList": [
      {
        "displayText": {
          "content": "Sorry, this action is not available in simulation"
        }
      }
    ],
    "suggestionsList": [],
    "agentLogoUrl": ""
  },
  "clientError": 8,
  "is3pResponse": false,
  "clientOperationList": [],
  "projectName": "",
  "renderedHtml": "",
  "previewStartTimeMicros": "",
  "isEmptyResponse": false,
  "agentName": "",
  "servingModelOutdated": false
}

I have tried relinking the Home assistant with google home, but that also fails. Iā€™ve even tried updating the developer details on the Console project as some threads in the community recommend, yet no results.
Now I see that there are multiple affected users, since yesterday, and in the past 30 minutes Iā€™ve noticed that my duckdns external URL no longer works, it is not pingable. It has absolutely no issues around 45-60 minutes ago.

If I can provide any further infromation to help investigate this, I am fully willing to cooperate.

1 Like

Same issue here. Also using setup with DuckDNS

Seems so.

I donā€™t think anyone can do much except wait for duckdns people to solve the problem(s).

2 Likes

same problem, i use duckdns

same problem, i use duckdns

I initially didnā€™t understand how it could be DuckDNSā€™s problem at all, considering that my HA address was successfully resolving just fine. I actually own my own domain name and was using a CNAME record for my HA host, pointing to the DuckDNS host. Again, this was resolving absolutely fine. As a point of testing, I changed the CNAME for my HA record to an A record, pointing to my [current] IP address. And sure enough, the Google integration started working. Iā€™m beginning to suspect that the problem isnā€™t really with any of DuckDNSā€™s services, but more so a change in security settings at Google.

3 Likes

I would second thisā€¦

After further testing, I think itā€™s likely to be a change at Google. Itā€™s only voice commands that arenā€™t working for me and the problem appears and disappears but is getting more frequent.

Unless thereā€™s a fix coming I may have to look into getting a domain for HA or NC subscription. I donā€™t particularly want to do either. :confused:

1 Like

Same problemā€¦ i use duckdnsā€¦ I tested also with ydns.eu but no way, Google home doesnt work.

Same here. Started yesterday. I am able to connect from outside my home network without issue using DuckDNS. So I am mystified as to how it can be DuckDNS. But this is quite frustrating.

Spousal acceptance factor is dropping rapidlyā€¦

1 Like

Same problem here and I also suspect that perhaps the Telegram webhook is dependent on it because that also hardly works for me at the moment.

So I did some troubleshooting ans I was able to workaround the problem. I use a domain name ha.mydomain.com registered through GoDaddy. I change my DNS settings in GoDaddy from using CNAME mydomain.duckdns.org to A using my IP address. Once it propagated Google Assistant was able to connect without issue. This leads me to believe that there is an issue with DuckDNS. Iā€™ll keep it setup using my IP address until someone reports this is fixed.

1 Like

Itā€™s working again for me without any workarounds (telegram webhooks as well).

Edit: Nevermind. Stopped working again.

If it is a problem with duckdns it want work with other dns service but doesnt. I changed to my other dns service ā€œddns.orgā€ but its the same issue. Some times when i try connect from google home app it seems to be work but all my content is listet offline. Nothing do somthing only a fault message when i try to switch on the lights.

Is there anyone here that is using the Cloudflare HA addon or something similar, with their own (paid) domain that can confirm or deny if they have a working google integration?

It does indeed seem that DuckDNS has a lot of name servers down right now (See below), and itā€™s entirely possible Googleā€™s systems have flagged it or are having issues connecting through it in response to this.

https://intodns.com/duckdns.org