Google Cast error - Unable to find a view with path xxxx

This seems to be working for me, too, however, there still is a bug somewhere, right? Casting through https://cast.home-assistant.io/ works right away, but local casting only using daemon’s method.

Any idea on how to make custom cards work?

Can anyone see the cameras? In the pc dashboard they work (motion eye cameras and those with direct rtsp) on the chromecast give an error.
(sorry for my english)

The above works like a charm, the only issue I have now are the built in graphs in HA, don’t appear when casting lovelace to my nest hub max, but besides that, all is great, thanks!

Thanks, this solved it also for me!

I’ve just had the same issue and noticed. Previously this worked, but it has recently stopped working

entity_id: media_player.living_room_tv
dashboard_path: tv
view_path: tv

I’ve updated it to remove dashboard_path: tv and it works every time:

entity_id: media_player.living_room_tv
view_path: tv

I do not get it to work either. Not at all.

I can successfully connect cast.home-assistant.io to my nest hub. But there it ends.
When I do that, the page only offers me to send one single view: “Home”
If I choose that (whatever it might point to) I get the infamous “Unable to find …” message.
No error messages in the HA logs.

The Nest hub is brand new and only just set up today with nothing else but my account and the network connection being added.

Due to the fact that I do not get any further information on where to look/what to do, I’m fairly stuck now.

2 Likes

I can confirm this works for me. I am able to lower the delay down to 2 seconds and it works 90% of the time. The longer the delay the more reliable it will be, however.

This leads me to think that nabu casa is trying to load the dashboard before it’s actually finishing connecting and downloading required information. If you cast manually (using a Cast entity on a dashboard) it will work 100% of the time, simply because you can’t click ‘show’ until after it’s connected. When using a service it does both in the same step.

Hopefully they can fix nabu casa to wait until it’s ready before attempting to load the desired dashboard.

1 Like

Hi guys, I am having the same issue. Is Home Assistant Cast not working for anyone or are we just the exception?

Anyway, I am going to give @deamon script a shot. But I have a couple of dumb questions. What is “dashboard_path” and “view_path”? I don’t understand them. Are all pages I can see in HA lovelace cards or some other type of cards? I am going to get the family’s google calendar on my Nest Hub Max. I have two “pages” I can view on HA:
https://xxxxxgatan.duckdns.org/lovelace-kalender/default_view
https://xxxxxgatan.duckdns.org/calendar

What is my dashboard_path and view_path for these two?

What is lovelace yaml mode?

/lovelace-kalendar is the dashboard
default_view is the view.

I am not sure about the second one, it may be dashboard: /calendar and view: 0

1 Like

I am not getting anywhere either, not even with cast.home-assistant.io. I can get connected but it just shows the home assistant and nc logo. Then there is just one option available and that is “Home”, and when I hit that it says “Unable to find …Custom…”

I’ve tried creating an action and just got as far, but it said “Unable to find …kalender” which is the path I gave it.

The lovelace card

title: s
views:
  - path: kalender
    title: Home
    cards:
      - type: custom:atomic-calendar-revive
        name: kalender
        enableModeChange: true
        firstDayOfWeek: '1'
        maxDaysToShow: '7'
        entities:
          - entity: calendar.s
          - entity: calendar.familjefilm
          - entity: calendar.fodelsedagar
          - entity: calendar.holidays_in_sweden
          - entity: calendar.week_numbers
        calShowDescription: true
        showLastCalendarWeek: false
        disableCalEventLink: false
        disableCalLocationLink: false
        disableCalLink: false
      - type: weather-forecast
        entity: weather.s
        show_forecast: false
service: cast.show_lovelace_view
data:
  entity_id: media_player.nesthubmax3bc2
  dashboard_path: lovelace-kalender
  view_path: kalender
1 Like

Anyone have any input on this?

1 Like

My calendar is empty when I cast it but it shows perfectly on the phone/computer.

Anyone have any ideas what I could try to fix this?

Ok, so I have done some testing and here are my conclusions after trying to stream RTSP through WebRTC

1. Home Assistant Cast is very unreliable - there is almost no way to automate it and get predictable results. While I know how to make it work, I will not be using it as I want to automate my home, and not click on 3 pages, reload Chromecast, click again etc.
  2. You need to pre-authorize access to HA cast through cast.home-assistant.io, and ideally start casting there to kind of ‘pre-load’ the stream.
  3. You cannot use 1st gen Chromecast - it does not work with it.
  4. You need to double load the stream, with fake dashboard_path in the first callout, as @deamon shared before.

All this makes for a very unpleasant experience, and have successfully steered me away from further tries. If the cast experience is fixed, I will gladly use it. Again, your mileage can vary as I was trying to get live camera capture through WebRTC (which works awesome in the Android/iPhone app or browser), but I will need to stick to regular, delayed streams.

1 Like

Very similar experience here too…
I found it convoluted and very inconvenient between reboots to re-auth etc (not HA’s fault - its just the way it is)

Additionally, when I did get it working, the cast uses a white background (even tho im using a dark theme).

Trying to set up HA in my new renovated house - gonna have to patient till either google revert back to the way it was or some brillaint person finds a reliable work around

Could it be??

2021.12: New configuration menu, the button entity, and gorgeous area cards! - Home Assistant (home-assistant.io)

2 Likes

Was thinking the same thing. I’ve kind of lost interest though tbh…
Haven’t upgraded yet.

Things are vastly improved with the latest release, but I wouldn’t say solved. I still have a few custom cards that refuse to display. And the cast.show_lovelace_view service is just powering on the device; there’s no attempt to display anything beyond that. I’ll have a play with adding some delays etc.

I can confirm that it’s not working in 2021.12. My nest hub shows the splash page but in the logs I see:

Logger: homeassistant.components.cast.media_player
Source: components/cast/media_player.py:320
Integration: Google Cast (documentation, issues)
First occurred: 19:23:45 (1 occurrences)
Last logged: 19:23:45

Failed to cast media https://www.home-assistant.io/images/cast/splash.png. Please make sure the URL is: Reachable from the cast device and either a publicly resolvable hostname or an IP address