Google Nest integration stopped detecting 'eco' preset triggered by 'Away'

Hi I also experienced the same issue and behaviour since few days. It was working fine before. I also removed the Nest integration and re-added it but it never got resolved. I can confirm that setting the target temperature works as expected as well as turning it off. Preset mode is broken at the moment. Hope someone can fix this asap. It stopped working per 1st April after checking my Nest energy usage history. Thanks!

Same here.
I have seen the issue reported on Github as well. Seems like it depends on the Thermostat model.

Exactly the same issue here. Setting the preset mode has become unresponsive. Good to see it’s not just me. Running Home Assistant 2023.3.5 and Nest Learning Thermostat V3. Been running this setup for quite some time now, without any issues up until now.

I too am running into this problem. climate.set_preset_mode simply seems to get ignored by my thermostat.

Nest V3
Home Assistant 2023.4.4
Supervisor 2023.04.0
Operating System 9.5
Frontend 20230309.1 - latest

I have worked around it by setting a temperature manually for now. It might screw with your schedules, but for me this was no issue.

Same Issue here!!
But is this a home assistant problem or a Google problem?

Home Assistant 2023.4.6
Supervisor 2023.04.1
Operating System 10.0

Same here - not wokring at all. Also not showing accurate heat history data

Hi,
I’m very much a novice when it comes to Home Assistant and integrations, but I just found a solution that works for my needs, but understand it may not work for others.

I’ve changed the action in my automation to send a text command instead of changing the preset.
My Nest Thermostat is called “Hallway”.

I know it is a workaround, but it works for me.

I know this isn’t quite the same as the OP, but I landed here as I was trying to work out how to turn eco on from an automation, rather than read its state, and the set_preset_mode isn’t working as an action either.

The workaround of using the set_hvac_mode action is working, which for me has the same effect as turning eco on/off.

Same issue here - I can set eco in the Nest app or the Google Home app and it applies, I can also set eco from Home Assistant and it applies, but if I set eco from the Nest App or Google Home app it doesn’t update Home Assistant to show Eco mode.

I have an EU Nest Thermostat 2nd Gen.

It seems like this issue has re-appeared for me, out of the blue this morning 8th Feb 2024. No mode changes being applied from the HA UI and HA not reflecting the current state when the thermostat is set outside of HA using the Nest App or SmartThings. I’m in the UK, all been working fine on the below versions.

• Core2024.1.5
  • Supervisor2024.01.1
  • Operating System11.4
  • Frontend20240104.0

Same here… in UK and as of today (8th Feb 2024) the current state of the Thermostat is not showing correctly in HA.

…seems to have recovered

Glad to hear it @rob6 … did you do anything or did it just start working?

Mine is still unresolved… It’s strange as I can control the Nest thermostat from HA (change HVAC mode, change preset and set target temp), but the entity state and attributes don’t refresh until I reboot HA. I’ve even spun up a new HA container instance on my proxmox server and setup a fresh google cloud / OAuth account with same issue.

Hard to know if it’s hardware or cloud issue.

Hi @justin4480, the integration just started working again, interestingly after I’d posted that things were ok again, the integration stopped sometime during the evening, but has recovered again overnight without any intervention from me.

Update from me… After spending a good amount of time on this last night I finally gave up and went to bed. However, I woke this morning to find everything magically working again; nothing I did to fix it - I’m convinced it was a google API issue.

For anyone else in the future that finds themselves facing this issue… I was able to send commands from HA to the nest thermostat, i.e.

- domain: climate
    type: set_hvac_mode
    hvac_mode: heat
  - domain: climate
    type: set_preset_mode
    preset_mode: none
  - service: climate.set_temperature
    data:
      temperature: 22

…however, the HA state attributes (in the devices page or Developer Tools >> States) would only update after:

1. Waiting 15 minutes (although not always)
  2. Rebooting HA
  3. Reloading Nest Integration (Integrations >> Google Nest >> 3 dots >> reload)

Now things have resolved, when my nest thermostat state changes (either via direct manual control or via HA) the HA state attributes update within 5-10 seconds.

I should add, to ensure my issue wasn’t an HA issue I setup a second HA instance to run in parallel, i.e. I had my original HA OS, but also a temporary HA instance running in a proxmox container. My original instance was using my originally setup “Google Cloud” and “Google Device Access” projects, and for my sandbox HA container I setup a fresh “Google Cloud” and “Google Device Access” project.

This is speculation on my part, but I got the sense this might be to do with the Google “Cloud Pub/Sub API”. See below screenshot which was a big spike in “API calls during the period I was facing issues”.

My nest thermostat is my one remaining cloud integration, I really need to find a local alternative. I’m so done with cloud API’s, particularly Google’s